Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1944 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2011 8:43 PM by Mikala_SF RSS
KimmeeA13 Amateur 29 posts since
Oct 12, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 12, 2011 2:26 PM

Slow start but it's a start: W1D1 10/12/11

After procrastinating for a few days I finally got up off the couch this morning. I was only able to do 7 of the 8 jogging intervals so I'll probably repeat week 1 or do 5 days of it before moving on to week 2. My husband is a runner (ran cross country in high school and college and still gets up to run several days a week) but I haven't told him I started this because he'll be so darn enthusiastic it will make me want to quit. :-p I'll have to tell him soon though because I need new running shoes.

I'm using the iPod files to tell me when to walk and run. I had been doing some walking and running a few intervals so I didn't expect to be gasping for breath like I was, but in time it will get easier. Right? It will get easier? Please say yes! :-)  I have also noticed that my food choices have changed since I started doing my own walking/ jogging intervals before C25K.

Any other 40-something slow starting newbies like me out there? I'm a stay at home mom who also needs to lose about 50 or more pounds.

Kim A.

Started C25K 10/12/11

Kim A.

Started C25K officially 10/17/11

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Phillipians 4:13

• freesia777 Pro 98 posts since
    Mar 13, 2011
    2. Oct 12, 2011 4:34 PM (in response to KimmeeA13)

It DOES get easier.  It just feels like it won't.  When I did C25K, if there was a work out that I couldn't complete, I just repeated it until I could do it- then I moved on to the next one.  That happened a handful of times for me, but I think it was the right thing to do.

You'll find a lot of resources and support here.  You can probably find a thread started by someone who has begun C25K within the last week or so and join in.  Having people to talk with who are going through the same thing makes a huge difference.

Good luck!

Kate in NH

Started C25K: 03/16/2011

First 5K: 06/04/2011 (Over the River and Through the Woods 5K, Concord, NH): 40:30!!

Second 5K: 08/04/2011 (Thunder Chicken 5K, Portsmouth, NH): 39:32!!

Third 5K: 10/09/2011 (Great Island 5K, New Castle, NH): 38:18!!

Current words to live by: "4 mph is faster than the couch" --FaithInSC

• spnichols Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    3. Oct 12, 2011 5:50 PM (in response to KimmeeA13)

Hey Kim,

I am 41 and I will finish week three in the morning.  It does get easier.  I also have about 50 lbs left to lose.  I will be running my 1st 5K on December 3rd. My hubby and I started running at the same time so we have had a great time supporting each other.  Hope it works out that way with yours.

Stephanie in TX

Started C25K: 09/27/2011

Stephanie Nichols

Boerne,TX

• RhondaWants2Run Amateur 16 posts since
    Oct 11, 2011
    4. Oct 13, 2011 3:42 AM (in response to KimmeeA13)

Hi Kim,

Welcome and great job for completing W1D1!

I completed W1D2 yesterday and it was easier. I am also 40+ and need to lose 40-50 pounds. I have never been athletic, so this is a huge leap for me. But I am very excited to be starting the journey.

There's another thread for folks starting the program Oct. 10th - you should come join us on that thread. So far I think there's about 5 or 6 of us that got started this week.

• TheSillyErudite Amateur 36 posts since
    Aug 10, 2010
    5. Oct 13, 2011 6:17 AM (in response to KimmeeA13)

Kim, it gets so much easier it's comical.  I finished C25K about a year ago and recently ran an 8K at a pace that I couldn't even run one C25K jogging interval. When I first started running, I would pant uncontrollably while frequently checking how many more minutes I had to jog or how many more jogging intervals I had left.  I also had rules about what and until when I could eat the night before a morning run. 

Yesterday, I ran after eating tacos (shamefully late) the night before, and while I was running--with my mouth closed--I realized I had completely lost track of how long I had been running.  I had to check my Nike Plus to be sure.

So yes, it gets easier . . . MUCH easier.

• RocketPoweredFeet Rookie 5 posts since
    Sep 7, 2011
    6. Oct 13, 2011 6:41 AM (in response to KimmeeA13)

I started running Aug 15, two or three days per week, low miles, and I took a week off in there somewhere even (shins hurted, I overdid it one week in my beginner's zeal), and I can tell you it gets much easier.  (I was around 275 lbs then, to give you some perspective, which at 6'3" isn't great but not awful; probably down to 265 now, haven't stepped on a scale for a couple of weeks)

Well, the running gets much easier, at least.  Getting my *** off the couch is still just about as much effort.  But once I get outside and get the headphones rocking and get a few blocks behind me the body chemistry starts going into distance mode and I start feeling a lot better.

• johnmcc22 Pro 100 posts since
    Mar 15, 2010
    7. Oct 14, 2011 7:31 PM (in response to KimmeeA13)
    Re: Slow start but it's a start: W1D1 10/12/11

I completed the c25k plan in February, I dreaded running, had a hard time with the plan. I ran my 5th 5k race 2 weeks ago and am running a 10k Sunday at the Atlantic City Marathon, believe me it gets alot easier, you've alredy done the most important thing by starting. Remember, you're allowed to repeat a day or week if you find it tough. Good luck!!

1: Essential2life 5k 4.7.2012

2: Long Branch Half Marathon 5.6.2012

3: Newport - Jersey City 10k 5.12.2012

4: Newport - Jersey City Half Marathon 9.23.2012

5: Atlantic City Half Marathon 10.21.2012

Facebook add me as a friend if you like http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/profile.php?id=1215856639

• choptagdotcom Rookie 5 posts since
    Oct 14, 2011
    8. Oct 14, 2011 8:24 PM (in response to KimmeeA13)

Right on ! I never ran in my life, used to smoke and, never excersied, running led to 10k's, to half marathons, to surfing to triathlons..and by the way lost 30 punds on the way...ironman next ! stay motivated ... you will get there

the largest comparison shopping site for athletes

www.choptag.com

• RTeps Expert 51 posts since
    Oct 13, 2011
    9. Oct 15, 2011 6:50 PM (in response to KimmeeA13)

Hey Kim (and everyone else),

I will join you.  I did my first run on 10/13/11 and my second today (10/15/11) and it felt better than day one.  There is a group starting on 10/17/11 and I am going to "officially" start that day.  I am 36 years old, 6' 4" and between 235 and 240 pounds.  I want to lose 30 - 40 pounds.  I did P90X which was HARD, and awesome, but I want more of a cardio routine to lose more weight.  So, I am doing C25K and hope to keep motivated with other people starting around the same time.  I grew up playing sports but I have NEVER been a runner so this is hard for me.  I have not been consistent in workouts since college.  I have heard that it gets easier too so I am thankful for that. 

All I know is that I NEED new shoes.  I look forward to staying in touch with people here.  Also, what is the interval thing on your iPod?  Can you download it on there and it will tell you when to run/walk?  That would be great because I have to constantly be looking down at my watch/heart rate monitor to keep track of the time.  Anyone else have suggestions on how to keep track of the time intervals?

-Ryan

-Ryan

Started C25K on 10/17/2011, Finished C25K on 12/17/2011!

Completed and continue to do P90X

Goal is to lose 30-40 pounds!

The Thin Blue Line!

• Mikala_SF Pro 87 posts since
    Apr 14, 2008
    11. Oct 16, 2011 8:43 PM (in response to KimmeeA13)

I'm 40 with two small kids and I work 4 days a week.  I started c25k back in June and it was a real challenge.  I am now on Week 8 (I do each week twice) and running 28 minutes per run.  Things are SO SO much easier.  The "difficulty" does build and then you reach a point where everything seems to just fall into place and suddenly it feels good to run.  The only way you can find out if you can succeed is to try.  And if you stick with it, you will do it. 

My weight loss blog, pictures, etc (started in 2007):

http://diaryofanaspiringloser.blogspot.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points