Skip navigation

906 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 18, 2011 12:08 PM by Coach Beez
Clark1315 Amateur 15 posts since
Mar 22, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 16, 2011 8:55 AM

HELLPPPP

Hey im a guard and recently i started getting the ball stolem a ton and cant seem to protect it any help?

• Coach Beez Legend 160 posts since
    Feb 4, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Oct 18, 2011 12:08 PM (in response to Clark1315)
    HELLPPPP

First take a look at how the ball is being stolen. Is it when you try your crossover dribble? Maybe change directions by going between the legs or around the back next time. Are you less confident against strong pressure? Maybe it's time to really work on your back up dribble to create space.

As an offensive player, your success comes when you can get your defender off balance. For example, when you use your jab step to the right, you're hoping that the defender leans to your right side and goes for the fake so that you can counter and take the ball going left.

The same holds true as a point guard. In the open court, you have to relieve the pressure from the defensive player by getting him off balance. Now, of course you cannot jab when you are dribbling, so how can you get him off balance?

One way is to use your speed to take him hard on the dribble choosing one side. As you go by the defender, he will turn to race to catch up. As he in running to catch up to you, stop and use your back up dribble to relieve pressure while he is sprinting hard to cut you off. As the defender flies by you and then adjusts and comes towards you to apply pressure once again, use your speed and repeat the same movement and go by him, possibly by changing directions. You are basically working to keep the defender off you, while making it difficult for him to guard you one on one. When he goes to reach, use your body ( shoulder and arm ) to protect the ball and draw the contact.

Hope this helps

Coach Beez

www.basketballwithcoachbeez.com

Yo, what up fools?: It's me, " THE MAN " , Zac Ryan. Even though I'm a cartoon character, I can still ball chump! So if you like basketball, then come check me out and read all my comic strips at:

www.zaciswack.com

I'm out.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points