Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

60585 Views 249 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2012 8:23 AM by PaintingLady Go to original post 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 Previous Next
  • mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    240. Oct 9, 2011 9:11 AM (in response to justrundan)
    50 and over, 5k and beyond - Race Reports

Thanks Dan! I love your idea and will give it a try. I think my problem may be bigger, though. I jumped into a 5k last night that a friend was running. Thought having no anticipation and the world's easiest course might help my performance problems but run was the same as all the others. It was 80 degrees and down-hlll and only 1.2 mi. in and I was convinced I had to stop running and walked the rest. Last Sunday evening I ran 4 mi. in the same time with three short walk breaks. I've got a serious mental problem that messes my race runs vs. my training runs.

Anyone have suggestions about how to address and conquer this? 

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

Jun 8, 2011
    241. Oct 16, 2011 1:13 PM (in response to mkayc)

Just to follow-up, I raced last night and was able to go the whole distance without stopping. It felt great! It seemed wrong to let the season end without one race done right. It sure was hard to stay focused on myself, though. Two girls kept run-walking nearby and it was driving my batty. The preteen just walked slowly until I jogged past her then she'd sprint ahed, but cutting really close to me. This kept up for 30 min. The older teen would jog slowly and as I passed she would meet my pace but then pick up speed so I could never pass. It was hard to hold my pace steady when she did that. Of course she'd fall back into a slower jog and start the cycle over again. Anyone have methods to keep these things from bothering you (besides music)?

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

• M.J. in Springpatch Pro 154 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011
    242. Oct 25, 2011 9:52 AM (in response to coolbikermom)

On Saturday, I participated in one of the best events I have ever run in my very short running career.

This race was the first running of what I hope is an annual event.  From packet pick-up to finish, everything went smooth as silk.  The trail (Lost Bridge Trail) was gorgeous, the weather (brisk 50s and sunny) was perfect, and the whole thing was just well-organized and fun.

Packet pick-up was a sign of things to come, because it was quick, orderly, the volunteers were friendly and the swag bag was fun and cute.

The race itself was a 5-mile point-to-point, so shuttle busses took runners to the start point.  There was plenty of parking and port-a-potties. 

There was a bit of a cluster at the starting gun, but it cleared up quickly.  The course was beautiful (enough so that I slowed down to snap a few pics), well-marked out, flat and, fast.  Water stations were well-stocked and the volunteers were encouraging. 

The finish was again well-stocked with water, Gatorade, granola bars, apples, and bananas. 

The tech shirt is nice and every finisher got a medal.  I don't know what the overall and AG winners got, but they also had a drawing for door prizes.  Guess who won a free pair of any Saucony running shoes from the LRS?  That's right! 

Macmillan predicted a 1:26 finish so I went conservative and decided my goal would be 1:25.  My chip time?  1:17:54!  I beat my goal!  Actually, more than beat it - smashed it!!!

So it was a really good day all around and a wonderful race.  The RD and all volunteers should really give themselves a pat on the back.  I'm already looking forward to next year!

As Stuart always says: Run Happy!

Started C25K: 3/13/11 Completed C25K: 5/12/11

FatAss 5K: 5/14/11

New Balance Girls on the Run Community 5K: 5/21/11

5th Annual MMC Burn Center 5K Run/Walk: 6/4/11

Women's Distance Festival 2-Miler: 7/9/11

Scheel's Inaugural 5K Run/Walk: 7/16/11

Red Ribbon 5-Mile Run: 10/22/11

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    243. Oct 31, 2011 6:39 PM (in response to M.J. in Springpatch)

MJ, congrats on a great race and lucky you winning the shoes.  Great day!

Mkayc, good for you on completing your race! Great job!

I'm training for a half marathon using the Galloway run/walk intervals and am apprehensive about ticking other runners off with my intervals. since you were frustrated w/ the two girls, do you have any recommendations for me to keep from irritating ppl? Of course, I'll try to stay to right of course and not stop in front of anyone.

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

Jun 8, 2011
    244. Nov 3, 2011 5:20 PM (in response to PaintingLady)

Marie,

Ironically, I believe the other runners are responsible for themselves. It's not your job to make them happy. I was annoyed by the kids because they were playing this game, "No matter how slow I go, I am not letting that old lady get ahead of me" and I was the old lady. My collegue who runs recognized it right away and said he'd done it. I probably recognized it because in some way other than racing I've done it in the past, used the behavior of an aged person as a milestone for the limits of my weakness, for the floor of my performance spectrum, if I get so lethargic, lazy, whatever, that I'm like that, I will have hit rock bottom and will have to do something immediately about it. So, it wasn't that the kids were rude, except for the youngest one who ran so darn close to me when she sprinted away. It was that I wasn't happy enough just being able to participate in the race; I let myself get distracted by how they were flaunting their youth and boundless energy while I struggled. I need to find ways to get thicker skin.

You need to enjoy your race!!!! There will be many others using the same method. You'll be surrounded by walk/runners and all that matters anyway is what you are doing.

Meanwhile I injured myself somehow weeks ago and am not recovering. I"m off to the doctor's tomorrow to learn that I need to lay off for at least two weeks which means when the Thanksgiving Day 10k rolls around I'll be lucky to be running 3 miles. So, I guess I'll be learning the walk/run method so I'll be able to complete the 6 mi. without walking for an hour. Wish I could be running.

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

Jun 8, 2011
    245. Nov 4, 2011 4:42 PM (in response to mkayc)

I've been seen and let Doogie Howser talk me into a Cortisone shot for my quad pain and hip *bursitis.* Frankly, I'm skeptical. Thought bursitis was chronic and not caused by exertion. Whever. I said, "will this delay healing?" "Nooo," he says. Of course, he also said it wouldn't hurt but I got him back when I shouted, "#$%^&* that hurts" -  really loudly. Now I see lots of reports online saying Cortisone injections delay healing. My pain is gone and I'd like to exercise. Doc said I could but I don't want to aggravate the injury. Anyone have any experience with Cortisone, how it works? Good? Bad?

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    246. Jan 16, 2012 9:46 AM (in response to coolbikermom)

Hi everyone!

WOW!!  It was ideal temps for the RnR in Phoenix yesterday!! 

My last training run was on Wed., ran 12 miles so decided to give my muscles and knee 3 days of rest instead of pushing it on Thurs.

Iced my knee for two days, had a massage on Fri., stretching each day, hydrating all day on Saturday.

I've noticed that I have been getting some pretty bad blisters on inside of my right big toe from the 'newer' road shoes I had from last year, mostly from the two marathons so I decided to buy some new lighter road shoes at the EXPO on Saturday, and some new socks.  I know, I know, that you shouldn't try anything new for a race but I am using this race as a 'training' run for my upcoming HMs and FMs this Spring ...........

Slept well, got up at 5, ate 1/2 bagel, a small banana, a bottle of Powerade, and got to the race around 6:45 am.

Stood in line at the porta-potty, some slight stretching, and had the Gatorade Prime (pre-game fuel) around 7:15, waiting for race time at 7:30, didn't cross the starting line until about 7:45 am.

I ran about 10 min/mile, took one minute walk breaks after each mile up to 7 mile when I begin to feel a muscle cramp, OMG!!!  The hamstring on the back of my left thigh, never had one before so I slowed down, and told myself that I need to stop and massage it, RIGHT NOW, at this approximate halfway point!!  "You still have quite a ways to go, STOP NOW!"

That was a tough decision as I was REALLY feeling good about my time, and knew I could possibly finish under two hours.......... bummer!!!  I forced myself to stop and stretch and massage it, lost about 5 minutes there ......... had to readjust my mental state too. 

I slowed my pace and didn't stop for my walk break until at the 9 mile marker, massaged the hamstring again, lost about 5 minutes again!!  darn it!! and lost sight of a couple of my 'pacers' .....

At the 10 mile marker, it started to go 'downhill' so I up my pace and ran a 9 min/mile and took my last walk break at 11 mile.

I finished strong the last 2 miles, passing so many runners on their last 'leg', could see the exhausted expressions on their faces and some of them walking to a crawl, but I got a sudden burst of energy the last 1/2 mile!!

Overall place:  5379

Finish Time:  2:07:59

Overall place in Division, female (50-55):  125

My knee made it!!  Some swelling but I iced it asap, massaging it as well, hamstring is sore today but tolerable. 

For road courses, I am use to finishing under 2 hours, with a PR of 1:42 but I know that it's when I am in a healthy condition, and have trained longer. 

So, overall, I feel good and satisfied with my time. 

Not bad for only 7 days of training though, after not running for 3 months!

I KNOW I CAN BEAT THAT NEXT YEAR!!! 

Course was so much better this year.  They changed it, much more scenic, and less waiting time too because they separated the HM runners from the FM runners with different starting points but finishing at the same place. 

My husband was very supportive throughout the whole race in PHX yesterday, didn't want me walking back to the truck so we took a ride on those bicycle driven 'cart'.  Thank goodness, it was such a distance from the event and the traffice was terrible.  He couldn't believe how well I did although he knows how competitive I am, he knew I could do it but kept telling me to be careful and not worry about the time .......... he didn't have a chance to take any photos of me!  He was waiting for me at the 12 mile marker but there was so many spectators that he didn't see me.  When I called him, he couldn't believe I was already DONE!!  "WHAT? You crossed the finish line already?!?!"  haha!!  Anyway, having family/loved one nearby is such a motivator in itself.

And, NO BLISTERS!!!  No problem with the new shoes either. 

BTW:  I am a shutter bug, a hobby, amateur photography.  My husband got a GoPro camera for me for X-mas AND I took some photos/video during my walk breaks and a few during my running .......... CRAZY!  I have used it during my harley rides and of course, our 'babysiting' time with the grandbaby ...... she is soo funny when she stays up waaaay past her bedtime, haha!    No 'curfew" with grandma and poppa!   

Will see if I can post a couple of them ...........

So, it's RECOVER time for me, will run Wed, then have to fly out of town on business for a few days ............... searching for my next race and I will give it more time to train, would prefer a trail HM though ..........lol!!  February is right around the corner............

CONGRATS to everyone else who ran!! 

Trail runner

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    247. Jan 30, 2012 11:30 AM (in response to az2mn)
    Re: 50 and over, 5k and beyond - Race Reports

ax1414~Thank you for the jump start on this thread for the new year.  Excellent race report, and congratulations on a great HM run after only 7 days of training!!!  Really?????  I'm sure you will be back to your 1:42 HM in no time.  You take such joy in your training and are a inspiration to us all.

My 10k race yesterday was a study in contrasts from the last one.  The first 10k was run in sweltering 86 degree heat and oppressive humidity, AND they ran out of water on the course.  Yesterday's race was cold, snowy, 25 mph wind gusts and I LOVED IT!!!

After 7 hours of blissful sleep, awoke and peeked between the blinds to blowing snow and mid-teen temps.   At an earlier time in my life, I would have done an about-face and climbed back into bed for most of the day.  Not today!!!  My goal for this race was to control from going out too fast at the start, keep a strong, even 11 minute pace on the course and to beat my previous 10k time.

For pre-race fuel, consumed a raspberry Nutri-grain bar, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup coffee and alternately sipped 8 oz.prepared Hammer Nutrition Perpenteum(strawberry-vanilla) and water.

My DH (personal cheerleader and all-around good sport) and I followed a snow plow on the 30 minute drive to the park facility where the race was being held.  The race director emailed updates about the course condition, and the latest one stated that because of the falling snow, the course obviously could not be guaranteed to be free of snow/ice.  Decided to bring every bit of cold-weather gear and to run with Yaktracks.

Arrived early at the facility to get a parking place before the road would be closed for the race.  The entrance road was the first 1/2 mile of the course.  Entered the heated facility, and waited in a bit of a line to use the restroom, but so happy not to have to use port-a-potties outside in the cold.  It was great to have a heated area to stay warm and do some static stretches. 

The 5k race was to begin at 9 am and 10k at 9:30 am, but the RD announced both races would be delayed 10 minutes.  Usually any delay is very annoying, but the snow was ending, and wind blowing the clouds away.  Sunshine!

Watched the 600 5k runner begin their race from the large windows in the park facility, and continued to stretch, chat with other runners and sip water.  Ten minutes to race start, left the warmth and gently ran the 3/4 mile to the start line.  The wind gusts picked up the snow resting in the tree branches and blew on the 300 runners as we waited at the start.  We gathered in small groups to shelter and encourage one another.

The gun fired and my first goal lay in front of me.  Everything in me wants to spring out like a horse out of the gate, but I use the ipod in my head to use music to get into a rhythm. At this point the head wind was very chilling, and helped to hold me back.  I was aware of others passing around me, but did not get caught up in keeping up with them.   Goal #1: checked off!

As we passed the park facility the course changed from packed snow road way to bike path and YEA! the paths were clear of ice and snow.  Since there was very little snow/ice for the Yaktracks to dig into, I decided to remove them adn wrapped them around my wrist.  After passing under the first highway bridge, the tree line worked as a wind break, the sun was at our backs and it was a lovely, scenic course. 

As we approached the first of 2 wooden bridges, I noticed the bridge was covered in snow/ice.  Cautiously traveled over the bridges, and once onto the asphalt path was able to continue my 11 minute pace.  Goal #2:  checked off!

There were 2 water/Gatorade stations set up and I thought I would try out the "art" of slowing to a brisk walk, pinching the cup, drinking and resuming my run.  Apparently, I need  A LOT more practice........since I ended up wearing most off it on both attempts!

As the Garmin (Christmas gift--thank you, honey!) stated I was approaching the 5 mile mark, I felt strong and was still maintaining the 11 minute pace.  After passing the final turn, I heard my hubby yell, " You're gonna do it!"  The final .2 miles to go and the finish/clock was in view.   The usual whipper-snappers who decide they are not going to be beat by a "woman of a certain age" flew by.  I let them pass, I had done what I set out to do.  Goal #3:  checked off!

Finish time:  1:07:28 PR!!!  (10:52 pace)             Garmin:  1:06:51

Consumed 4 oz. of Recoverite and walked off the race at the Multisport Expo being held at the park facility.  Lots of post race food/drink, give-aways, nutrition experts, upcoming race info and great deals on gear/equipment.  Enjoyed a relaxing brunch of baked oatmeal w/ roasted fruit and lot of coffee with my husband and then home  for a 30 minute *ouch* session with the foam roller (affectionatley called, Helga).

Great day!  Looking forward to reading everyone's race reports in 2012!

• MikeF1959 Amateur 16 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    248. Feb 11, 2012 7:04 PM (in response to coolbikermom)

I ran the Hot Chocolate 5K in Dallas this morning with a wind chill of 25 and loved it!  I wore shorts, ls tech shirt, ss tech shirt over, Hot Chocolate wind jacket, knit cap, and gloves.  This was only my second race.  The first one had 290 5Kers.  This one had 6400 registered!  Guess I over-hydrated or it was really cold because I hit the first portapotty at 1 mile.  I jogged all the first mile, about 2/3s the second, and about 1/2 the third.  There were a couple of steep hills that challenged me.  There was gharidelli? chocolate at the finish line and hot cocoa and choc fondue inside the after race party building.  There were another 4800 registered for the 15K so this was a huge event and very intimidating.  Heck, they're all intimidating, but I'm having fun and plan on sticking with one a month if possible.  Anyone going to one of these mega events should plan on arriving 2 hrs early for a stress free good time!

1/28/12 TX Half 5K @ 33.02 1st ever 5K

2/11/12 Hot Chocolate Dallas 5K @ 33:10

3/17/12 Dash Down Greenville 5K @ 31:58

5/12/12 Five and Dime Run 5 Miles @ 53:00

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    249. Feb 13, 2012 8:23 AM (in response to MikeF1959)

MikeF: Congratulations on your 5K. Sounds like the weather was brutal, but you did it and most importantly, had fun doing it!!  Keep up the good work. 

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...