Skip navigation

1468 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2011 11:56 PM by MsMammaMia RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 16, 2011 11:19 AM

OktobeRun Half Marathon and 5K Run/Walk Reviews

Share your experiences with the OktobeRun Half Marathon and 5K Run/Walk below Back to event details page.

• Littlecrud Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 1, 2010
    1. Oct 16, 2011 11:19 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: OktobeRun Half Marathon and 5K Run/Walk Reviews

Each element of the 5K race was handled with great professionalism: 

(1) Race website and associated marketing related collateral;

(2) Sponsorships, excellent diversification; Fleet Feet is an fine organization;

(3) Pre-race registration (Active.com) and packet pick up (again, Fleet Feet);

(4) Pre-race activities, including, but not limited to, announcements, race fuel, line up, etc;

(5) Race support, including signage, volunteers, race fans, etc. (although I didn't see any mileage markers);

(6) Fuel and health stops; we only had one for the 5K, but it was well organized and had lots of volunteers; and

(7) Post-race activities; the announcing of names and times was a very nice touch!

In summary, OctobeRun team did a superb job and should be VERY proud of yesterday's accomplishments.

• Kristina Brower Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 13, 2011
    2. Oct 16, 2011 11:26 AM (in response to Guest )

Great run, great weather great people and great cause!!!! Definately running again next year!

• brianfcox Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 14, 2008
    3. Oct 16, 2011 11:34 AM (in response to Guest )

It was great - took away one star because poor signage had the half marathon leaders go off in the wrong direction. As a local it didn't impact me,  but easy to see how many people missed the turn

• Ralph Fallant Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 30, 2007
    4. Oct 16, 2011 12:05 PM (in response to Guest )

Good event overall.  Would have been good to have water stations distributing water from both sides of course so that we wouldn't have to fight oncoming runners for water.  Would have been nice to have water available at finish line.

• Greenedude Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 20, 2010
    5. Oct 16, 2011 12:15 PM (in response to Guest )

Over the top!  What a great day.  It was wonderful to see so many children, families, teachers, staff, community members, and seniors out for the day.  Thank you RCEF, Rick Hunter and all the sponsors and volunteers for making this community event possible. I hope it raises a lot of money for our local students.

• cboreta Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 30, 2007
    6. Oct 16, 2011 12:38 PM (in response to Guest )

My wife and I had a great time at this wonderful event.  Can't wait till next year's event! 

If I may, I noticed two areas that could use improvement. 1) The event workers at the 5k turn around were not informing the runners as they came up to it and it caused quite a bit of confusion for some.  After I turned back at the turn around I noticed people running through the turn around and thought I made a mistake and stopped and started running back and then someone yelled, no, you are going the right direction.  The course workers said nothing and were just handing out water.  I easily lost 10  seconds on my 5k time due to this mistake.  2) I didn't see any mile markers nor were any of the course workers alerting the runners at each mile.  These notes of concern may not seem too important to most people but for the runners that are running at max HR causing their brains to be a bit scrambled, it helps a lot.

Other than that, this was a fantastic event!! 

• codyj11 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 2, 2008
    7. Oct 16, 2011 1:25 PM (in response to Guest )

Great event -- especially for the first year!  I disagree with those who said they didn't see mile-markers -- I saw every one and thought it was well-marked. 

My suggestions:

1. There was one spot around mile 5/8 with a switchback that would have benefited from a volunteer -- watched tons of people cut it both on the way out and on the way back. 

2. If registration says it's open at 630, open at 630.

3. Water bottles at the finish line.  Having to fight hundreds of other runners for a tiny paper cup of water was no fun.

4. Water stations on both sides of the route -- felt a bit like a salmon swimming upstream at points.

5. More garbage cans on the route.  Had to run 2 miles holding my empty gu packet.

Overall, I thought it was a really fun event. I really liked that registration for the half was capped -- I think the size was perfect.  Thanks to everyone involved for a great day!

• StefanRy Rookie 6 posts since
    May 2, 2011
    8. Oct 16, 2011 2:20 PM (in response to Guest )

Agree with codyj11! Was my first half marathon and I liked it. The finish had something special: police stopping traffic, turning right to last few yards in between gates, being handed a finisher medal right after crossing the finish line, announcer said my name. A few seconds of fame, was just great and runner's high.  Food and water table looked picked through, felt like an afterthought(well, there were obviously hundreds of 5K runners that picked through it before me.)  My advice, separate the race from the Oktoberfest, would have drank a beer, but costed $35 due to all fees and beer stein/glass to buy. (Bridge to Bridge race was much better organized after the finish line and they served miller beer, first glass free).

For a first time race, I give 5 stars anyway. I want to run the 2nd OctobeRun, hopefully next year. 

• mladcani Amateur 14 posts since
    Apr 12, 2008
    9. Oct 16, 2011 4:05 PM (in response to Guest )

Nice, local race.  Great parking, easy registration, easy bib pickup.  I felt for the leaders who went off course though. When there are forks in the road THAT's where you need a volunteer (there was such a little flour on the ground, it was easy to see how they got lost). Also, at the one little bridge over the creek, there was a volunteer sitting in a chair; but she was not needed there: if you didn't go over the bridge (which was the paved course) you'd end up in the water so that was obvious. What wasn't obvious was the turn off the course that the leaders missed. But now, the RD knows about this and I'm sure it will be marked better next year.  Otherwise, it was nice though some people didn't understand the ettiquite of moving to the right on the tight course.  Maybe that could be added to the Event "description" next year.  Fun, nice and cute shirts with nice medals and yummy food

• pkar Pro 66 posts since
    Feb 21, 2011
    10. Oct 16, 2011 4:18 PM (in response to Guest )

I really loved it. Nice sized groups of runners/walkers. Lots of volunteers along the way from redwood city schools. Need a few more in the women's senior age group - enough to have an over 70 category.

Phyllis - 87

San Jose CA

Aug 18, 2010 Started walking/running In my Neighborhood, SJ CA 1 mi 26:08 min

My First Race

Nov 14,2010 Habitat for Humanity, Stanford, Ca 5K 56:08 min 3rd Women’s 70+

2012 Events:

1/1/12 New Years Runfor Healthy World Palo Alto 5K 46:33

1/28/12 Coyote Hills, Fremont CA 5K 52:59

3/3/12 Helyer Park, San Jose 5K 46:47

3/10/12 Juana Run Palo alto 8K 1:12:22

3/11/12 Calif. Senior Games Palo Alto Race Walk 5K 44:56 Qualified in my age group for Nationals in 2013

3/17/12 Go Green St Patricks Day Run 5K 31:27 Actual distance run: 2.22 miles

• jwoof6 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 16, 2011
    11. Oct 16, 2011 5:41 PM (in response to Guest )

It was just OK for me.  Not nearly enough runners for me to get a good adrenaline rush and for the half marathon there needs to be more than just water at the stations!  The route was oddgoing through parking lots and construction zonesand I did not agree that is was a great course for a PR.  The marsh was smelly and hard to run single file along the dirt path.

• KetanGoyal Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 28, 2011
    12. Oct 17, 2011 1:30 AM (in response to Guest )

Great event, very nice area to run, a lot of support all around. Will do it next year

• Mohan Dutt Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 21, 2008
    13. Oct 17, 2011 8:16 AM (in response to Guest )

Great event with a home town feel about it. Flat course with running on pavement and trails. Most awesome volunteers and record number of water stops that matches national events. Mark this on your calendar to run next year if you want to PR!

• corey1983 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    14. Oct 17, 2011 9:18 AM (in response to Guest )

Very well organized, especially for an inaugural race. Plenty of water stops, course was interesting, parking and packet pickup were easy, and there were snacks, medals, and tshirts. Very low stress. Results were posted quickly which is always nice. This was my 3rd half marathon and I PRed by 6 minutes.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...