Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

41956 Views 260 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2012 11:19 AM by DaveInAuburn 1 2 3 ... 18 Previous Next
fyrfyter535 Rookie 5 posts since
Sep 24, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 13, 2011 10:27 AM

Starting C25K on 10/17 anybody else?

Hello everyone,

I recently quit smoking and starting to run to help my self get back into shape after years of weight gain and generally being unhealthy. I am going through the journey with my wife who has always went to gym and has been generally healthy even after having our son.

I have always been jeolous of the people that I see out running when I'm driving or that I speak with that are runners.

Hopefully I will find some support in this forum, and get some advice from all of you on here and maybe make some new friends.

Oh and by the way we are running our first 5K in 192 days, so hopefully we will be ready.

Jeff

• RTeps Expert 51 posts since
    Oct 13, 2011
    1. Oct 13, 2011 4:56 PM (in response to fyrfyter535)

Hey Jeff-

Good for you!  I started today (10/13/2011).  I am very excited about it.  I have never LOVED running, but the more people I talk to that do it say that I will fall in love with it if I stick with it.

So, day one is in the books.  However, since it is the end of the week, I may go for another day this week and then start week one over on Monday 10/17/11 just for the ease of keeping track of the program on a weekly basis.

Anyone else out there starting it up?

-Ryan

Started C25K on 10/17/2011, Finished C25K on 12/17/2011!

Completed and continue to do P90X

Goal is to lose 30-40 pounds!

The Thin Blue Line!

• KimmeeA13 Amateur 29 posts since
    Oct 12, 2011
    2. Oct 14, 2011 5:31 AM (in response to RTeps)

I started on W1D1 on Wednesday but wasn't able to do all the jogging intervals.  This morning I slowed down my pace and was able to get through it.  I'm going to start "officially" on Monday so I can get comfortable with 60 seconds before upping it to 90 seconds.  I definitely felt it this morning but it was much easier at a slower pace, and I made an effort to drink lots of water yesterday and this morning, because I noticed on Wednesday that halfway through the session my throat was so parched I almost dry heaved.  I'm running in my neighborhood so unless I knock on someone's door or carry it with me there's no chance of getting any water during the actual session.  I'm also shopping for a new pair of shoes because while I have running shoes, I've been wearing them for everyday sneakers and I need something with some support.  There's a lot of weight coming down on my feet when I jog!

Kim A.

Started C25K officially 10/17/11

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Phillipians 4:13

• harvey1021 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 13, 2011
    3. Oct 14, 2011 7:55 AM (in response to fyrfyter535)

Hi, my name is Jessi

Me and my husband started the program yesterday.  We are both overweight, he is a former athlete so it comes easier for him.  My w1d1 workout went great besides the aches and pains when i woke up this morning.  I am also going to repeat w1 starting next week.  Good luck everyone and safe running.

ps. kimm they have camel backpacks for pretty cheap at walmart or target, that way you dont have to carry the water in a bottle.

• kristalincali Amateur 11 posts since
    Jul 11, 2010
    4. Oct 14, 2011 1:11 PM (in response to fyrfyter535)

I'm in! I started a few months ago but life got in the way (I know - bad excuse) and I didn't get past week 3. I'm dusting off my sneakers and starting again on Monday! Looking forward to keeping in touch with everyone here and hearing how they're doing!

Kristal

Oct 13, 2011
    6. Oct 14, 2011 3:48 PM (in response to fyrfyter535)

Hey everyone,

I see a lot of W1D1 on these chat boards and have NO idea what it means.  Is it another training program or is it as simple as standing for "Week 1, Day 1"?  Just curious!  Thanks.

-Ryan

-Ryan

The Thin Blue Line!

Oct 13, 2011
    8. Oct 15, 2011 6:35 PM (in response to fyrfyter535)

Thanks Jeff!

That is what I thought.  I just did my second run today.  I did just over 2 miles in about 30 minutes so it is a start.  I like the pace of running for one minute and then walking for 90 seconds.  Good way to start and I don't feel like I am overdoing it.

I am really looking forward to starting for real on Monday with everyone here.  I hope we can all keep each other motivated!

-Ryan

-Ryan

The Thin Blue Line!

• Mom2Twinz41604 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 16, 2011
    9. Oct 16, 2011 4:01 PM (in response to fyrfyter535)

Hey y'all!  I'm Julie.

I just restarted my C25k journey on Saturday.  I'm starting out VERY slow because I have knee issues.  My good knee is starting to bother me, after I run.  My bad knee feels pretty good.  It figures!!!

But I am determined to do this.  Mostly for MYSELF, but because I need to loose weight.  I know I can do it, it is just a matter of finding the time to do it.  Excuses!  Excuses!  But really it is finding the time to start doing this.

I am currently a stay-at-home mom turned into a work-at-home mom.  I am in training for my client and need to be at my computer at 10 EST, which is 9 CST.  So once I get home from taking the kiddies to school, I have from a little after 7 am cst to 8:30 am to get in a run.  I need to have my putter booted up and ready to do go with class by 8:45, just in case I need to reboot or something happens to the computer, giving me enough time to log on.  Can't be late to class!!!

So, I am starting tomorrow morning, right after I get home from the drive to school & back home.  I don't know how long my run/walk totals out as far as if it was a half-mile or mile, etc.  All I know is that I left the house @ 9:15 am yesterday and came back @ 9:45 am.  Felt good and wasn't out of breath!!!  Thank goodness.  Sweating like a pig waiting to be slaughtered, but it could have been the combination of hormones & my running outfit. 

Looking forward to hearing about your workouts & getting to know y'all!  Have a Blessed evening and see ya tomorrow!

Take care,

God Bless,

Julie D

aka Mom2Twins41604

• kimj7 Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 16, 2011
    10. Oct 16, 2011 5:07 PM (in response to fyrfyter535)

Hi everyone!  Count me in!  I've had this little voice telling me to start running for a long time now that I've been ignoring and I've decided now is the time.  

Once upon a time I started up running and despite initially hating it (never was a runner in school or anything), I ended up getting to a half marathon distance much to my amazement.  Unfortunately my husband got transferred right before the half marathon I was going to do so I never actually got to run the race, but I can say I've done the distance.    I have done three 10ks however and remember very well the amazing feelings of accomplishment after doing those races.  The downside of all that is that was over about a period of only a year and that was about 10 years ago, after which I just kind of lost the motivation to keep going - just too many excuses to be honest.  Ugh.  The good thing is now I know I can do it whereas the first time I didn't.  Hard to believe now, but I remember there was a time where I would say, once you get to about mile 6 or 7, you can just keep going and it's easy.  Can't imagine that now, but I'm hoping!

Anyway, looking forward to getting back on the journey and am happy to see a group of people that will help keep me accountable!  My challenge will be following the program, have patience, and not try to do too much too soon.  That and of course a ridiculously busy schedule with kids and jobs, etc, but such is life, right?!!  No more excuses! 

Good luck to all of you tomorrow! 

Kim

• kimj7 Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 16, 2011
    11. Oct 16, 2011 5:14 PM (in response to Mom2Twinz41604)

Hi Julie!  I'm also a work-at-home mom to two boys so I know what that's like.  My boys are 10 and 12 so it's getting a bit easier in that they're in school but now after school/evening time is eaten up by being a chauffeur to activities!

Anyway, just wanted to say hi to another wahm!  I don't know too many who understand that it really is a lot of work and juggling trying to do both! 

Kim

• SusanTink Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 16, 2011
    12. Oct 16, 2011 5:54 PM (in response to fyrfyter535)

HI,

I was a runner in high school and miss it.  I have read my friend's facebook posts on her training as she geared up to run Race for a Cure and felt inspired.  I got the ok from my Heart Dr and so I start tmw.  My dog and I walk 2 hours a day at a good pace so I am hoping the switch to running won't be too rough on my system. 

I am doing this over weight and losing.  My focus is on me though.  Not my weight.  I have always wanted to run  km fun runs.  This is my goal.   Here's to staying positive and staying on track!

Susan

• bayopa Amateur 22 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Oct 16, 2011 6:49 PM (in response to fyrfyter535)

I started today.  I downloaded a podcast that cues you when to start and stop jogging.  I somehow thought it would be 6 reps of jogging but it ended up being 8.  So I shuffled my way through the 7th rep but did the others pretty well.  Good luck to those of you starting tomorrow - I look forward to some inspiration!

• KimmeeA13 Amateur 29 posts since
    Oct 12, 2011
    14. Oct 16, 2011 7:00 PM (in response to fyrfyter535)

Hey, at-home Moms!  I work part-time from home too.  I've found that it helps motivate me if I dress in my workout clothes before I drop the kids off at school.  That way when I come back home all I have to do it grab my iPod and get out the door.  I'm running in my neighborhood, and I think I should get extra credit for the hills. 

Bayopa, I had the same problem the first time I "practiced".  I was all pumped through the 7th rep thinking it was the last, only to find out there was one more, and I just couldn't do it.  My second attempt went much better.  Tomorrow is my "official" start date.  I'm glad to have a group to help keep me accountable.

Kim A.

Started C25K officially 10/17/11

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Phillipians 4:13

1 2 3 ... 18 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...