Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7309 Views 27 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2012 6:32 AM by gpb11 RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Dobrobuck Pro 151 posts since
    Apr 17, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Aug 7, 2011 8:25 PM (in response to Debm2011)
    Re: Garmin vs iPhone

I ran with my 305 this evening and normally run with the HR as my main way to control my run. I did use the pace screen more than normal just for something different and it seemed quite accurate, most of my running is in the open but some trees as  well. DebM there are audible alarms on the 305. I have used the one for pace and HR at the same time. Its important to not set the parameters to tight or the alarm might get obnoxious after awhile for me. The 305 comes with two different sized wrist straps and is quite comfortable to me. I used to run with my blackberry with an audible app but would not have been able to hear it if i carrried it in my amphipod behind me. I think the 305 is very adjustable as far as its functions and fit. Also used to run with music all the time and now with the watch I dont but, its helped me to lear to listen to my body more. The 305 is a great value when it comes to GPS running watches. I would suggest going to the Garmin website and you can download the 305 manual for free and check out all the functions.

4/30/11 IL Marathon 10K 57:43

5/14/11 Kirby Derby 10K 57:49 3rd place in div

7/4/11 Freedom 5K 28:59

Lost 80lbs since 6/17/10 starting wt 280lbs

Joined Second Wind Running Club 9/2011

8/27/11 13.38mi 2:32

9/17/11 13.45mi 2:27

Habitat for Humanity 5K 12/31/11 26:42 PR

4/28/12 IL Marathon 1st 1/2 2:10:38

Cycled 1600 mi summer of 2012

Cycled Hilly Hundred 10/25/12

Upcoming races

April 2013 1st full marathon..

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    16. Aug 9, 2011 4:31 PM (in response to DadtoTwins)

The assorted dads-to-twins are right. The instantaneous pace feature on the Garmin is not accurate. The default setting on the Garmin GPS unit is to fix its position every three (or so) seconds. I believe it then calculates your pace based on the amount of time between each datum. Since we're moving at comparatively slow speeds and consumer GPS is only accurate to between 6 and 10 meters or so, there's lots of room for slippage. Put all that together and your instantaneous pace is pretty much, well, wrong.

I only ever use the lap pace anyway, so that doesn't bother me much. You can set your lap distances to any arbitrary length (down to the hundredth of a mile, but remember that the accuracy isn't that great), but I typically just use one-mile-per-lap. The only time I'll set shorter laps is if I'm doing interval training.

That reminds me -- some of the lower-end models don't have the ability to program complex workouts (e.g., run a quarter mile, rest for two minutes, then repeat three more times -- a.k.a. 4x400m repeats). You can do that with the 305, 310XT, 405, 405XT, and I'm guessing the crazy new 610 (or whatever). The 110 and 50 do not have that capability.

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• ManikSona Expert 55 posts since
    Aug 11, 2011
    18. Aug 11, 2011 10:59 PM (in response to squilky)

I currently run with my android phone mainly because I lost my ipod after the Ragnar Relay, but I have run with the Garmin and prefer to have that over the phone.  I found it to be much more accurate, lighter and easier to mess with.  Since you are running in the dark, are you wearing a headlamp?  A headlamp might help you see the Garmin screen better w/o having to fumble with it to turn on the backlight.  Just a suggestion.

Manik Runner - Training for a Marathon

• SalFerg Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 16, 2011
    19. Oct 16, 2011 9:05 PM (in response to Debm2011)

I'd be interested to know if a Garmin does that too - audible reminders (or a beep of some sort).  I also don't trust the mileage on any of the online things like MapMyRun.  Seems like most of my runs are a few tenths off everytime - and sometimes a half mile off.

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    20. Oct 17, 2011 4:57 AM (in response to SalFerg)
    Garmin vs iPhone

Many (I'm not sure about all) of the Garmin models have an "auto lap" feature that will beep (and/or vibrate on the 310XT -- maybe others) every mile/kilometer/whatever you set your lap length to be. They can also be set to beep if your pace goes below or above your target range. That's especially helpful early in a race if you have a tendency to go out too fast. If you choose to pay attention, it can keep you in check so you don't flame out after the first quarter mile.

At least for iPhone (I don't know about Android), the GPS is really an "assisted" GPS. That is, it uses GPS data, as well as data about cell towers and so-called "location servers" to determine the phone's position. It's not a full, "true" GPS receiver the way the Garmins are. That setup helps the iPhone figure out its approximate location more quickly than relying solely on GPS satellites, which can take a while to sync up with a device (hence the sometimes eternal-feeling start up time for GPS devices).

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• John425 Pro 184 posts since
    May 20, 2010
    22. Oct 17, 2011 11:41 AM (in response to squilky)
    Garmin vs iPhone

The thing is, just running on a different side of a street than the person measuring the mileage and rounding corners and curves on the outside or in the center instead of the inside can make a difference, too.  It's pretty safe to say that unless you understand how the course was measured and follow that same course for the entire distance without ever deviating even slightly, then, your GPS watch, whatever make or model, will always disagree with the posted course mileage.  Overall, I do trust my Garmin as far as distance I've run and the time it has taken.

• WWomb1 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 5, 2011
    23. Dec 5, 2011 7:38 PM (in response to squilky)
    Garmin vs iPhone

An 8k I ran over Turkey day gave out a Garmin for a door prize.  I was hoping I would win it...

I love Wish Gardens Welcome Womb!

• billytides Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 13, 2011
    24. Dec 13, 2011 10:25 AM (in response to squilky)
    Garmin vs iPhone

If you have any intentions of using a GPS during a race to gauge your pace, then you definitely want a Garmin or some other sort of watch that'll easily fit on your wrist.

I write for a fulvic minerals and a trace mineral drops review site!

• janecalcium Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 2, 2012
    25. Jan 2, 2012 12:48 PM (in response to squilky)

Thanks for the info!  Very imformative.

• gpb11 Amateur 156 posts since
    Feb 13, 2006
    27. Jan 11, 2012 6:32 AM (in response to squilky)
    Garmin vs iPhone

As it came time to replace my aged Polar RS200SD, I considered iphone vs a Garmin Forerunner.  Garmin won out as it's easier to wear, easier to see/use (I hate armbands), lighter, no worries about getting it wet from sweat/water, no phone calls ringing during my run, etc.    Worth the price of buying the Garmin to NOT take my phone on runs.

I assume accuracy is approximate on anything other than a surveyor's level GPS or a measuring wheel.  I'm not good enough that a couple % makes a real world difference.

@squilky: Heartrate training a whole new area.  I use HR to give me an *objective* estimate of how hard I'm running, so I can slow down if going too hard on an easy/recovery run, or kick it up if I'm slacking off on what's supposed to be a hard run.  Couple links to get started with a high level overview:

http://pfitzinger.com/labreports/hrm.shtml

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/hrm1.htm

Biggest thing to remember is try not to use a "formula" for estimating your Max Heartrate.  Better to take the observed max from the end of a 5K race or something to guide you there.  My own "calculated" MaxHR is as much as 15 bpm lower than I've measured in practice.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...