Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

713 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2011 2:53 PM by Julia66 RSS
MrsFroggie Rookie 5 posts since
Sep 26, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 19, 2011 9:07 AM

I would just like to thank...

I was just wondering who everyone's running motivator is.  Who (or what) got you finally encouraged or inspired enough to become a runner? 

Mine was a lady I met at my job, when I was working in the bra department one night.  I hope she reads this someday and remembers me!

My running journey began about 5 months after meeting someone doing the C25K program.  I was working in a department store in the central valley of California when a woman asked me about some non-cotton underwear.  She told me how she began running and absolutely loved it- and I could tell she felt good about herself too.  She didn't look like an Olympic athlete, she just looked like a normal lady.  I was not feeling good about myself at the time and she encouraged me to give C25K a try.  Although I was already active, I really wanted to become a runner, but with my schedule and other commitments, I was unable to.  As the months went on, I never forgot her.  Finally about 2 months ago I stepped out for a brisk walk.  I had just started a new diet that left me feeling terrible!  After a few days, I realized the only time I actually felt good was when I was out exercising, so I thought, "Why the diet?!".  I gave up on that terrible diet and decided to add slow running into my walks.  Now I am making much improvement, getting to almost a 12 minute mile which is AWESOME for me!!!!!    Whenever I feel discouraged or too tired to go out, I remember my Running Customer and am encouraged again!  I know the chances are slim that that wonderful lady is part of a running forum, but just in case she is, THANK YOU!  I hope to "run" into you again someday so that I can tell you how much you have helped me!

So, what about everyone else?  Who would YOU like to thank for being your inspiration?

• 6xchampsfan Pro 184 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011
    1. Oct 19, 2011 9:31 AM (in response to MrsFroggie)

For me it was a co worker. I was looking to lose weight and being a long time runner he suggested it. I was lucky to have him to guide me through it at the beginning with lots of great advise. When I started I was 220 pounds and I'm only 5ft 4 so not good. I wasn't able to run 15 secounds without having to walk. No lie. He told me to walk / run and build slow. That was 11. Years ago and I can say I have 2 marathons under my belt. I'm still a little overweight but at 180 lbs. I never thought. Id love it like I do and being diabetic it has really changed my life. I owe him a lot.

• Run4Choclt Pro 80 posts since
    Aug 17, 2011
    2. Oct 19, 2011 11:15 AM (in response to MrsFroggie)

Well you guys have a couple of pretty good stories. I however don't. I started running bc I wanted to drop a few pounds. So I guess I'd thank myself. I can't get any of my family or friends to run with me or to sign up for any races. My husband does encourage me and tell me how proud he is of me. Come race day, I'm there alone - wish that wasn't so but hey, if I didn't go, that'd just be an excuse. Plus I enjoy it!

The person I could thank for any of my running would be 6xchamp for making me see if I didn't sign up for my half marathon, I'd be more disappointed in myself for not signing up at all than if I sign up and at least tried (even if I don't do as well as I wished.) Thanks 6champ! My half marathon is only 2 weeks and 2 days away!

.. oh, and to  my knowlege, I haven't lost any weight. Although, to tell you the truth, I haven't weighed myself Too scared!

-2011 Races-

8/28/11 - Pekin, IL Greater Area Peoria 5k (1st ever 5k!) - 37:05

9/3/11 - Kewanee, IL Hog Stomp 4m - 45:23

9/10/11 - East Troy, WI Historical Society 5k - 34:02

9/17/11 - Morton, IL Pumpkin Classic 10k - 1:06:22

10/1/11 - Morton, IL St. Jude Road Race 5k - 31:56 - PR

10/8/11 - Peoria, IL United Way 5k - 32:50

10/22/11 - Peoria, IL Boo Run 5k - 32:50

10/29/11 - Chicago, IL Monster Dash Half Marathon (1st ever HM!) - 2:40:06

- Training For 2012 Races-

3/3/12 - Peoria, IL Gaelic Gallop 5k -

3/10/12 - Morton, IL Cactus Classic 10k or half ? -

3/24/12 - Pekin, IL Saints 5k -

3/24/12 - Peoria, IL Interplanetary 5k -

3/31/12 - Peoria Heights, IL Half Marathon -

• Runnergirl0707 Amateur 19 posts since
    Oct 16, 2009
    3. Oct 19, 2011 11:30 AM (in response to MrsFroggie)

It was my husband.  He has always been in good shape and has run off and on since I have known him.  Two years ago he announced that he was going to run the 2009 Chicago Marathon.  I thought he was nuts!  I remember being in awe when he would come home from a training run and he would tell me how many miles he logged.  The day of the marathon was incredible!  The adreneline in the air was so thick.  I loved seeing all the runners cross the finish line.  When I saw my husband cross I had tears in my eyes.  I was so proud of him!! 

That whole experience stuck with me.  I longed to be one of those runners but at the time I weighed 225 and had never run in my life.  I never thought I could do it.  But shortly after we got home from Chicago I just decided to go for it.  I started with the C25K and have been running ever since.  I just did my first half a few weeks ago and it was one of the best days of my life but what I really loved the training.  Now I got to come home and tell my husband how many miles I had run.  I now weigh 160 and I feel so good about how far I have come.  My husband took a long break from running and was inspired to come back to it after my half.  We have recently begun running together and we plan on doing Chicago together next year.

Upcoming Races:

Gambler Half Marathon~4/22/2012

Warrior Dash~6/10/2012

9/25/11 Omaha Half Marathon~ 2:23:38

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    4. Oct 19, 2011 11:37 AM (in response to Run4Choclt)

For me this was a easy question, my daughter.  She starting running her Freshman year of high school and was quite good, teams won the state in track Freshman year and Cross Country sophomore Year.  So I started running for something to do with her, had plenty of things I do with my son.  At the start we would do races and she always would beat me, now I can beat her at any distance from a mile up.  She is now a sophomore at UNC and we have run every distance race up to a 1/2, I will run her 1st marathon with her, I would not allow her run a marathon untill she was 21, but she is ready now.

• Julia66 Pro 75 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    5. Oct 19, 2011 2:53 PM (in response to MrsFroggie)

I have to thank Andrea and the staff at my local YMCA. I had been a member for years and was one of those people who walked on the treadmill while listening to music or reading a magazine. I exercised a couple of times a week (usually) but never strenuously. In April 2009 I saw a posting about a triathlon training class at the Y and asked Andrea if she thought I could handle it. She said absolutely and encouraged me to sign up. I didn't have confidence that I could actually complete a triathlon, but I figured it was $100 for 10 weeks and at least I would get in better shape.

Best $100 I ever spent. Over those 10 weeks I trained 5-6 times per week, up to 2 hours per session. In June 2009 I actually did complete a sprint triathlon - what a thrill! The training staff were wonderful and so encouraging and gave me a completely different outlook on fitness. At the time my favorite sport of the three was biking. After the course I kept working out, and in 2010 decided to try a 10K - after all, the total time required to complete the race was less than the tri, so how hard could it be? It was while training for the 10K that I grew to really enjoy running for the first time in my life. But without the course at the Y I never would have started.

Completed 2013:

Guadalupe River Run 10K April 2013 (1:01:36) PR!!

Completed 2012:

Turkey Trot 5K Nov 2012

RSS Fun Run 10K May 2012 (1:03:17)

Mermaid Run 10K May 2012 (1:09:37)

Completed 2011:

Turkey Trot 10K Nov 2011 (1:05:20)

Firefly 5K Oct 2011 (49:14) - with DH and DS at son's pace

Rock 'n' Roll Half Oct 2011 (2:32:12)

Run for the Sun 5K Aug 2011 (30:17) PR!!

Coyote Hills 3.5 mi Jan 2011 (38:47)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...