Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1846 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2011 2:41 AM by pink0203
LEMDV Rookie 1 posts since
Oct 23, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 23, 2011 2:28 PM

Marathon training in the winter

I am planning on training for my first marathon for May 20, 2012. I live in NY so the winters are often cold. Based on my 18 week training program, I will need to begin Jan. 20, 2012. I am worried about training in the winter- snow, ice, cold. Any advice? I do have a treadmill but am not sure this is the best idea, especially for the long runs. Thanks!

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    1. Oct 23, 2011 4:38 PM (in response to LEMDV)

I ran a winter marathon this past February 27 in Hyannis. Basically after the Jan 10 my training plan was done -- there were too many snow days, and then the roads became very unsafe -- ice on them, and the width was reduced by 25%.

I really had to pick my days when I could get some running in. As I look at my records I only ran 6 days between Jan 10 and the marathon. Two of those were my 18 mile and 20 mile long run.

Where I hurt was the lost of wind/breathing because the of the loss of shorter more intense intervals and pace runs. But I finished. The day of the race was miserable too.

Your potential weather problems with cold and snow are going to be on the front end of your training plan. This is better than the end.

I think a couple things could mitigate any problems.

Between now and Jan 20 get your base mileage up -- what that is is up to you.

Be flexible with your training plan. You may have to move the long run day around because of the weather.

If you miss some early runs do not sweat it.

Stay safe.

• SJRUN Expert 55 posts since
    May 3, 2011
    2. Oct 24, 2011 6:40 AM (in response to skypilot77)

LEMDV - Where are you in NY?  In NY City, or upstate or elsewhere?  I'm also thinking about a spring Marathon...was looking at the Long Island Marathon on May 6. 

If you happen to be in the city, I've been looking into training at Chelsea Piers thru the worst months...at least for the worst days.  They have an enclosed 1/4 mile track, which is a little more appealing than hours on the treadmill...at least to me.  If you don't happen to be in the city, I'm sure there are similar facilities elsewhere...I know in Cooperstown there's an indoor track, and one at SUNY Binghamton.  Anyway...that all entails possibly joining one of those places and additional expense, but it's daunting to run all winter in NY weather!

The other problem I have is darkness in the winter months.  I run early in the morning....it's pretty bad already, but it's gonna get worse.  Weather+darkness seems dangerous to me ....so I'd just like to be sure and the extra cost might be worth it, if only to know there's a safe alternative at hand if needs be.

Good luck!

"If you think you will fail or that you will succeed, you'll be right."

Recent and Upcoming Races:

New York NY - ING NY Marathon, Nov. 6, 2011 - Finish time 4:53:24

• pink0203 Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 29, 2011
    3. Nov 30, 2011 2:41 AM (in response to SJRUN)
    Re: Marathon training in the winter

get sheet metal screws for the bottom of your shoes! I live in MN where we have cold, icy, snowy winters. In fact in snowed about a week and half ago. I put those on my shoes and they worked like a charm. Hex head sheet metal screws size 6 and 8 with length 3/8in (for the front if a thinner shoe) and 1/2in (in the back for the thicker part of the shoe). I even had my huskie dog with me in that she like to pull a little here and there. No slips and no falls. Cost was about 6 bucks for me at an ACE hardware store.

I am also training for a marathon but it isnt unitl early october 2012. I am gradually building up following a 20 week plan with some smaller distance races along the way untill my official training group starts in june.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...