Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

10870 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Oct 30, 2011 6:01 PM by mpsfamily 1 2 Previous Next
TRIPLEPLAY44 Amateur 33 posts since
Feb 21, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 23, 2011 7:25 PM

Chew gum or not to chew??

Do you chew gum while you run? Is there a reason not to besides choking or getting on shoes? Does it help keep moisture in mouth?

• LPARafael Pro 166 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    1. Oct 24, 2011 3:36 PM (in response to TRIPLEPLAY44)

I chew gum to help keep some moisture in my mouth.  Orbit Wintermint gum lasts me quite a bit, and I try to not spit it out unless it's in a trash can making sure I get rid of it before it gets too dry or runs out of flavor.  For some long runs, like a half marathon, I would go through three pieces.  This is probably something that would be different for each person so try it out for yourself to see if it's something to do or not.

To paraphrase Newton, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion", so keep those feet moving ....

2012 Races

Year 2 Year 5K - 12/31 - 1/1

Tinkerbell Half Marathon - 1/29

Rock n Roll Pasadena Half marathon - 2/19

Old Agoura 10K - 3/24

O2O Half Marathon - 6/3

City Impact Half Marathon - 6/16

Channel Islands 10K - 7/4

Disneyland Half - 9/2

Marine Corps Marathon - 10/28

• Adam Dibble Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 5, 2011
    2. Oct 26, 2011 9:39 AM (in response to TRIPLEPLAY44)

I chew gum funny as it may be same as previous reply Orbitz.

1 to 2 pieces for me on a 7 mile run in 1 hour . 3 if I run longer. Much easier than carrying a water bottle to keep my mouth moist.

• RedRunnerChic Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 26, 2011
    3. Oct 26, 2011 11:55 AM (in response to TRIPLEPLAY44)

I also find that chewing gum helps keep my mouth moist while running, but I still carry water to hydrate on longer runs.  Be careful not to let your mind trick you into thinking you don't need to hydrate!

• SoonerDrew Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 25, 2011
    4. Oct 27, 2011 6:21 AM (in response to TRIPLEPLAY44)

I chew gum when I run.  Last week, I was tight on time and left the house without my gum.  Within two miles - I was struggling with cotton mouth.  It make a huge difference in keeping moisture in my mouth.  If I run for more than an hour then I will sometimes find a trash can and start another piece. 

• Run4Choclt Pro 80 posts since
    Aug 17, 2011
    5. Oct 27, 2011 6:27 AM (in response to SoonerDrew)

After reading this post it got me thinking and I wanted to try running with gum. I also tried a GU gummy for the first time in preparation for my first half on Saturday. I just kept the gummy in my mouth for the first 3 miles and then ate it. It really helped with cotton mouth. I then popped in some gum for my remaining 3 miles and again, that really helped. I'm glad I "ran" across this post. Thanks for the advise! It will definitely come in handy this Saturday!

-2011 Races-

8/28/11 - Pekin, IL Greater Area Peoria 5k (1st ever 5k!) - 37:05

9/3/11 - Kewanee, IL Hog Stomp 4m - 45:23

9/10/11 - East Troy, WI Historical Society 5k - 34:02

9/17/11 - Morton, IL Pumpkin Classic 10k - 1:06:22

10/1/11 - Morton, IL St. Jude Road Race 5k - 31:56 - PR

10/8/11 - Peoria, IL United Way 5k - 32:50

10/22/11 - Peoria, IL Boo Run 5k - 32:50

10/29/11 - Chicago, IL Monster Dash Half Marathon (1st ever HM!) - 2:40:06

- Training For 2012 Races-

3/3/12 - Peoria, IL Gaelic Gallop 5k -

3/10/12 - Morton, IL Cactus Classic 10k or half ? -

3/24/12 - Pekin, IL Saints 5k -

3/24/12 - Peoria, IL Interplanetary 5k -

3/31/12 - Peoria Heights, IL Half Marathon -

• redrunner32 Pro 151 posts since
    Sep 29, 2010
    6. Oct 27, 2011 6:38 AM (in response to TRIPLEPLAY44)

I usually chew gum before a race.  I get really nervous and it seems to help with dry mouth and just calming my nerves for some reason.  I start chewing when I get there and get rid of it by the first aid station.

• nowirun4fun Legend 208 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    7. Oct 27, 2011 6:38 AM (in response to TRIPLEPLAY44)

Back in the real days of running, when you all were in baby shoes (j/k), Gatorade used to make some nifty running gum which I think they marketed as having good stuff like electrolytes, etc.  I loved that gum, and ran with it sometimes.   Haven't seen it in ages.

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    8. Oct 27, 2011 7:32 AM (in response to nowirun4fun)

I remember GatorGum even though I was a kid at the time!  I think that would be perfect for me since I do chew gum when I run... or I should say I have gum in my mouth and occasionally remember to give it a chomp.

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• My2racers Rookie 1 posts since
    May 26, 2008
    9. Oct 29, 2011 5:22 AM (in response to TRIPLEPLAY44)

I also like to chew gum on my runs! It really does help with dry mouth, but I find that the minty flavors make me more thirsty, so I tend to stick with the fruity type flavors. :)

• MonahanMonahan Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 30, 2010
    10. Oct 29, 2011 5:40 AM (in response to My2racers)

Having a dry mouth is an early sign of dehydration which also leads to muscle fatigue.  Chewing gum to mask that could prove problematic.

• Sbonham Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 18, 2008
    11. Oct 29, 2011 6:29 AM (in response to TRIPLEPLAY44)

Dick's Sporting Goods sells Quench gum which helps to keep you hydrated. I've been chewing that but the flavor doesn't last very long.

• teameldo Rookie 4 posts since
    May 13, 2008
    12. Oct 29, 2011 8:33 AM (in response to TRIPLEPLAY44)

I chew gum when I train and feel it helps me get into my target heart rate faster.  I never chew gum while racing because I don't want to waste the energy chewing.

• JoeMeehan Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 4, 2011
    13. Oct 29, 2011 8:57 AM (in response to TRIPLEPLAY44)

I don't chew gum, but what I do instead works just as well if not better.

An old D.I. (Drill Instructor) once told me on a formation run that if you suffer from dry mouth from mouth breathing while running, then look on the path or trail ahead for a small BB sized pebble to put between your cheek and your gums. It stays there without any thought from you, and forces your mouth to produce saliva to moisten your mouth.

While I'm not a fan of throwing who-knows-where-they-have-been pebbles into my mouth unless I have no other option, what I do instead is put a couple Altoids brand mints into my pocket. At the start of a run, I put one in between my gum and cheeks. It will usually sit there and melt for about three miles before I need to dig out another one from my pocket to replace it.

Hope this helps, try an Altoid instead of chewing gum.

• ridgerunnermd Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 29, 2011
    14. Oct 29, 2011 11:16 AM (in response to TRIPLEPLAY44)

Chewing gum while running is a big yes, keeps my mouth moist and prefer polar ice flavor.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points