Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2858 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2011 9:47 AM by Mikala_SF RSS 1 2 Previous Next
PattyC014 Amateur 34 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 22, 2011 5:31 AM

Any other working moms?

Finding time for myself can be a challenge -- especially because I don't want to miss anything with my kids.  They are 15, 13 and 9, and I work full time and commute 2 hours a day.  Now that the days are getting shorter, it seems like I leave work, run around dropping off/picking up, squeeze in dinner, and it's time for bed!

I do love the early morning work-out routine because it doesn't take time away from work or the family.  I have my time before anyone is up.  I was never a morning person, but I love getting out there and breathing the morning air.  I feel like I have a jump on everything -- including the weather.  Often, I miss the rain, wind, or whatever else would prevent me from running if I slept in.

I also love the early morning because I only need to shower once.  This is a time-saver when your day is completely filled each day.

What are your experiences?

~~PattyC

After a few years off, starting over with the C25K on 10/17/2011.

1/1/2012 - Resolution Run 5K

• JBP-DVM Pro 72 posts since
    Jul 23, 2010
    1. Oct 22, 2011 10:21 AM (in response to PattyC014)
    Any other working moms?

I have tried multiple things to deal with being a working mom (and I only have one--God bless you and your three!).

Elliptical in the house works for early mornings or late nights when outside is impossible.

My son will sometimes ride bike and I will run. (We go to local school parking lots, there is a track there too).

I will ride bikes with my son.

I have run laps around the soccer field as he practices/plays.  (hate this--feel like a gerbil on a wheel)

Love Sunday mornings when my husband and son sleep in and I get up early and do a long run.  Feel great as I walk in and they are just getting up!

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    2. Oct 22, 2011 12:05 PM (in response to PattyC014)
    Any other working moms?

Single mom of one 13 y.o. boy here.  I usually go out early while he's still sleeping but the dark is starting to get to me.  In order to run., shower, get him up, in the shower, and fed and be out the door by 7:10 for school and work, I have to leave the house at 5:15 am.  Sometimes I'll go for a run right after work before dinner and homework starts.  I limit weekdays to 3 miles and save long runs for the weekends.  I'm lucky to live 4 blocks from the office and can occasionally slip out a little early to make it easier to fit in a run.  Weekends I also go out early while he's asleep.  If I want to go to the gym I just take him with me.  During family times he could use the treadmill at the Y, or he just sits in one of the comfy chairs and reads or plays his Nintendo DS and waits for me .  Now that he's 13 we're not limited to the family times and he can use the treadmill any time. 

I have found that I am a better mom and a happier person when I can fit in time for exercise so although it's hard, it's worth it. 

• LoriKre Pro 83 posts since
    May 16, 2011
    4. Oct 24, 2011 5:48 PM (in response to PattyC014)
    Any other working moms?

I have a 14 year old son, soon to be 15 and he's very active.  He just finished up soccer and cross country.  I would run on the school XC course while he was practicing.  Now he's getting ready for basketball.  I'm hoping to still run the xc course while he's in the school at practice, but I'm not sure how long the weather will hold up.  I have about an hour and 15 minute drive to work in the morning and since I'm not a morning person, so far early morning runs are out of the question.  Thank goodness my husband gets our son up and ready for school.  I have a hard enough time getting myself ready in the am. LOL

In the spring my son plays baseball and runs track, I'm not sure how I'll be able to get runs in, I just hope I'm still running and haven't given up by then.  We also have a really old and really crappy treadmill that I use in the evenings if the weather is too bad outside.  We live in the Ohio river valley and we fight rain, snow, flooding, and this year we even had extreme heat and humidity.

I'm almost 50 years old and have been a couch potato my entire life and I quit smoking about 2 years ago, so I'm about 40 pounds overweight and I'm trying to lose the extra pounds and be in good shape by my birthday, but so far that hasn't happened. I am able to run for about 30-33 minutes at a time now, but it's at a very slow pace.

Oh well, I guess that's better than nothing.

Happy running everyone.

Lori

C25K Started 5-16-11 quit due to injury. Re-starting C25K 6-4-12

1st 5K - 7-30-11 Completed-4H 5K-Brown County Fairgrounds-49:36-walked with some jogs added in

• NurseMommy31 Amateur 16 posts since
    May 7, 2010
    5. Oct 24, 2011 6:30 PM (in response to PattyC014)
    Any other working moms?

I'm right in the same boat with you.  I have 12, 14, and 17 year-old kids who are very active.  I work full time 12 hour days as an LPN, and I'm in school full time to become an RN.  This means that I average one day off every other month.  I usually try to squeeze my run in on the days I get out of class at 3, so I can run in daylight.  We have bears around here and I don't like to run after dark since I encountered one on one very memorable morning run.  Overall, I feel like I have more energy and less stress when I get a run in, so I try not to miss very often. 

I am so Blessed!

Lee's Friends 5K-- June 5, 2010  31:57.55 (First ever 5K)

Rock N Roll Half Marathon- Sept 5, 2010

• JeneRuns Rookie 7 posts since
    Oct 21, 2011
    6. Oct 25, 2011 2:25 PM (in response to PattyC014)
    Any other working moms?

I have 6, 8, and 11. Its still quite hectic in the mornings for me. Scratch that...its hectic ALL the time for me. I find it hard to get any kind of exercise from home. I have to make a point of doing it before I go home from work each day, which is hard for me, because it takes away from the time I get to spend with my little ones. But I figure, if I make time for myself, I will be happier for it, they will have a healthier mommy, and gosh darn it, I am important too!

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Oct 28, 2011 6:55 PM (in response to PattyC014)
    Any other working moms?

I have 4 kids, I run in the morning after dropping the kids off at school.

• Mikala_SF Pro 87 posts since
    Apr 14, 2008
    9. Nov 1, 2011 12:03 PM (in response to flamomof3)
    Any other working moms?

I have two little ones, 2.5 years old and 1 year old.  I get exercise in at various times - sometimes on my lunch break, sometimes after the kids go to bed.  Normally not in the morning but I'm doing a boot camp class tomorrow at 5:30AM (!!) to see what that's like. 

My weight loss blog, pictures, etc (started in 2007):

http://diaryofanaspiringloser.blogspot.com

• Mikelle_71 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 26, 2008
    10. Nov 1, 2011 12:14 PM (in response to PattyC014)
    Any other working moms?

I have a 4 year old and 2 year old, and I work full time outside of the home.  Finding time is hard, but I find it more difficult to stay motivated to run consistently.  I get home around 5:30 p.m., and if we don't have activities we need to run off to right away, I spend the next few hours on dinner and the girls' bedtime routine.  By the time I'm done with that, I'm tired!  I have a hard time getting up for an early morning workout.  My work does allow me to leave early 2 or 3 days a week to workout, but that is often hard to take advantage of, as well, if I have a lot of unfinished tasks.  I KNOW I can find the time to run... I just have to force myself even when I don't feel like it!

Mikelle

• Mikala_SF Pro 87 posts since
    Apr 14, 2008
    12. Nov 4, 2011 4:18 PM (in response to PattyC014)
    Any other working moms?

Patty, I saw your signature. I just started back after a few years off myself for pregnancies.  I started back 5 months ago and I feel great!  I'm doing my first spritn triathlon tomorrow and can't wait.  I hope your sickness passes soon and, most importantly, that it doesn't throw off your momentum in being "back".  Keep it up!!

Michelle

PattyC014 wrote:

Got my 5:30 run in this morning.  Thankfully, roads were clear on Monday after our rare October blizzard.  I'm starting to get sick -- daughters was home sick all last week, so it may be hitting me now. 

My weight loss blog, pictures, etc (started in 2007):

http://diaryofanaspiringloser.blogspot.com

• Strawberry29 Expert 47 posts since
    Sep 26, 2011
    13. Nov 5, 2011 2:48 PM (in response to Mikala_SF)
    Any other working moms?

I have 2 kids - 3 & 2. I work 4 days a week and am studying also at the moment. My husband works shift work and works 3 weekends per month. It is tough finding time and I will not allow exercise/study to cut into my time with my kids so I get up at 6.30am weekday mornings to do my Couch to 5K schedule. I was an avid gym member & gold WW member before I had my babies. With 2 kids so very young it is really hard to find time to go to a gym or even WW class. I decided to let my fancy gym membership lapse in July (I could not afford to pay it anymore!) and I noticed I was slowly piling back on the baby weight so decided to start Couch to 5K in October. I am on W4 and really enjoying it so far although I will have to repeat this week and I am finding the 2nd 5 minute run too difficult at the moment. I went back to WW class and so far have lost 8lbs in 8 weeks with a combination of pro-points and Couch to 5k. I have finally got back to a BMI of 25 and am hoping to lose another 10/11lbs or so to bring me to 22.5. It is hard to make time but so worth it. I feel so much better since I started back exercising and eating well.

Michelle -  good luck with the sprint triathlon!! Well done - amazing achievement so soon after having 2 babies.

• nikkicarr1 Legend 314 posts since
    Apr 28, 2009
    14. Nov 6, 2011 5:41 AM (in response to PattyC014)
    Any other working moms?

I am a working mother of 2 beautiful girls 10 and 4....I am jealous of all you morning running mommies, my husband leaves for work by 5am so no running in the morning for me.  I am lucky enough that with my career, even working 5 days a week I typically can be done before the kids get out of school and I can run after work, but my distance is dictated by the school bell.  Evenings are very busy with dance and swim and soccer and softball and basketball so there isnt always time after the hubby gets home..but I do have the option some times to head to the gym with my 4yo and run on the BORING TM while she plays in the kids room. Weekends bring soccer games basketball games and other family events, but make time for family bike/ run when the schedule allows.

http://www.active.com/donate/PawsoverPittsburgh/nikkicarr

COMPLETED

2009: Opperation Troop Appreciation 5k oct 29:44 (first race), Greensburg Turkey Trot 5k nove 31:09

2010: On Deck for the Cure sprint 1mi 1-4 9:00, Race for Grace 5k 3-20 32:11, Yough River Council 1/2 marathon 4-10 2:16:39 (goal for 1st 1/2 2:25) 3rd in AG, Pittsburgh Komen Race for the Cure 5k 5-9 30:08, Jerry Mahar Jr Parkinsons Awareness 5k 6-5-10 29:28 6th in AG

Las Vegas Rock N Roll Marathon 12-5 5:01:?? FIRST FULL MARATHON (with calf tear)

2011: Race for Grace 5k 3-19 30:56, Alpha Fitness 5k 4-9 28:57 8th in AG, Pittsburgh Half Marathon 5-14 2:17:52, 9/11 Heroes Run 5k 9-11 27:34 (PR) 5th in AG, Pittsburgh ZooZilla 5k 10-2 28:03, Greenburg 5k Turkey Trot 11-24 28:35

NEXT PLANNED EVENT: Race for Grace 5k 3-31-2012, Pittsburgh Marathon 5-6-2012, Great Race 10K 9-30-2012

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points