Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

676509 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 ... 327 Previous Next
  • abbynormaloh75 Pro 111 posts since
    Sep 19, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,380. Oct 24, 2011 9:28 AM (in response to AlfNiner)
    My last run was...how was yours?

It was an organized virtual 5k on Sparkpeople.com....but i found a group of people in my area and we all ran together, so my times are also against everyone who ran, not just those people i actually ran with in my area.  It was nice to get out there with others though.  we are doing it again next week.  No, he has had a bad week...but since it wasn't too far from my house, I just went.  He says he is going to come next week, we will see...today is chemo day...let's hope he does better this week.

• 6xchampsfan Pro 184 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011
    1,381. Oct 24, 2011 9:45 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Run4Choclt my pass experience is very simular before a race. I'm no expert but I always back off the week before. You don't want to start the race with tired legs. I know you'll do great. Don't start out to fast and burn out and all the training you've done will carry you through. Remember there is no shame in walking some especially hills if that's what it takes . Its your first so don't worry about your time just finish and enjoy YOUR day. We will all be there cheering you on in spirit. You always remember this day so relax and enjoy.

• Terranss Legend 268 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    1,382. Oct 24, 2011 11:05 AM (in response to AlfNiner)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

It's only been a few days since I last posted, but there's all kinds of new topics out here now!  Hopefully my experiences can help here:

1. Re: GU gels: I'm a big fan of these, and for a half-marathon I diligently take my gel 15 minutes before, and then about halfway through.  Generally at the halfway mark I'm at about 48 minutes, though, so I'd recommend adjusting according to the time, more than the distance.  Also, for someone who isn't a fan of the gel's consistency, I would recommend Clif Shot Bloks, which are little gummy cubes with electrolytes in them.  You can chew them to get them into your system quickly, obviously, but I like to keep one in my mouth most of the time during longer runs, which keeps my mouth hydrated and not feeling so dry.  One pack of 6 Bloks has 200 calories (double a gel pack), so you can probably get by with half the number of packs you would need if using gels.  Price-wise, they're not much more expensive than a single gel pack, so you can actually save a bit of scratch using these instead. 

2. Re: No supporters at races: I've been able to drag my wife to a couple of races, but it always seems like she makes it more trouble than it's worth.  She only has the patience to hang around for a 5K at most, so most of the time I go solo.  She likes to claim she's there with me "in spirit", so as long as I get a kiss and a "good luck" on my way out the door, I can feel a little supported out there.  In the end, though, I think most runners find joy in what they do independent of what anyone thinks or feels about it, and in those moments where you feel like giving up, or when your legs/lungs/whatever are burning and dying for a break, remember why you ever ran in the first place and that should see you through the toughest race moments.  I wish everyone the best of luck at their next races!

My last run was yesterday, the Race for the Rescues in Pasadena, at the Rose Bowl.  It was a charity run benefitting local non-profit, no-kill animal shelters and pet adoption centers.  It was an amazing event, and it was awesome to see so many people running and/or attending the affair.  At the time I left over 40 dogs and cats had found new homes, and it was nice to know that almost all of our race entry fees went to the cause (even the chip timing company discounted their services for the cause!). 

The run itself was just so-so for me.  Too much endurance training for half and full marathons left my legs unwilling to commit to the faster turnover I needed for this shorter run (I raced the 10K).  I was able to pass one guy at the finish, though, and I ended up snagging the third-place medal for my age group. 

I hope everyone has great runs this week.  As for me, this last weekend was a reminder that I need to spend some more time on the track doing speedwork, so that's what I'll be doing.

Happy running!

• Run4Choclt Pro 80 posts since
    Aug 17, 2011
    1,383. Oct 24, 2011 11:59 AM (in response to AlfNiner)

AlfNiner.. until you stated it above, I didn't realize my first half marathon is 2 months after my first 5k. Granted, I had started running about a month prior to my first race. I started with the C25K program but ended up just doing the last few weeks of it - I didn't need the walking intervals ever. I basically adjusted the program to how comfortable I was  - running the whole distance it asked each week with no walking. I soon found I was pushing up my mileage by at least a mile a week and then went from 8 to 10 and 10 to 13... so here I am, ready to take on my first half. I've only ran a whole 13 miles, no walking once - yesterday like I said, I had to walk a few times.

Abby.. glad you found people in your area to run with and awesome your husband will try to make it out this weekend! I wish I could find people in my small town to put in some miles with me! Will be praying for you and your family this week!

Terrans ... thanks for the comparison. I'm going to try one of those Wednesday and see how it goes. Whichever is smaller will probably be what I'll go for - I have running pants with a pocket but the pocket is very small! Interesting about running with the gummy in your mouth to keep you feeling hydrated. I had this problem big time yesterday - I was incredibly thirsty. Awesome run for a great cause! Over 40 animals adopted when you left is great! Did you take one home? I would have a hard time not taking one. Although, my husband would kill me - we already have 2

6xchamp.. thanks for the pep talk I'll remember you guys when I'm running on Saturday! It's great to have a forum like this to talk and share with people who understand the reason for running!

-2011 Races-

8/28/11 - Pekin, IL Greater Area Peoria 5k (1st ever 5k!) - 37:05

9/3/11 - Kewanee, IL Hog Stomp 4m - 45:23

9/10/11 - East Troy, WI Historical Society 5k - 34:02

9/17/11 - Morton, IL Pumpkin Classic 10k - 1:06:22

10/1/11 - Morton, IL St. Jude Road Race 5k - 31:56 - PR

10/8/11 - Peoria, IL United Way 5k - 32:50

10/22/11 - Peoria, IL Boo Run 5k - 32:50

10/29/11 - Chicago, IL Monster Dash Half Marathon (1st ever HM!) - 2:40:06

- Training For 2012 Races-

3/3/12 - Peoria, IL Gaelic Gallop 5k -

3/10/12 - Morton, IL Cactus Classic 10k or half ? -

3/24/12 - Pekin, IL Saints 5k -

3/24/12 - Peoria, IL Interplanetary 5k -

3/31/12 - Peoria Heights, IL Half Marathon -

• Walking4MyLife Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 24, 2011
    1,384. Oct 24, 2011 12:03 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I am new to the trainer part of Active.com.  I found a page that showed other's routes in my area and now I cant get back to that page.  Can anyone help me?

• runbrenrun Rookie 5 posts since
    Oct 20, 2011
    1,385. Oct 24, 2011 1:50 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Hi everybody My last run wasn't so great, trying to add kms to work up to h/m. My legs were feeling sore and sluggish but i think it was because my last run was one of the best I've done. I find I have to work very hard at this and my endurance isn't the best. Am I just a wimp at let myself give up too easily? How hard does everyone else push themselves? I got new shoes and they feeling fabulous but I also feel like I have to get used to them too. Planning on getting out tonight and pushing myself. I've never been a part of an official race so I am hoping my husband would attend and at least be at the finish line.

I've got some great info from everyone here, thanks! Slowly I will be  "a runner".

• RunningQueen26 Expert 43 posts since
    Aug 3, 2011
    1,386. Oct 24, 2011 6:05 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

My best run ever!  Went before dinner and app wasn't working correctly. Was so mad I went home and stopped after about a mile.  Then decided to try again after dinner and ran 3.1 miles in 30:34 averaging 9:51 a mile!  I'm trying to get my time under 30 for my next 5K.  I'm thrilled I'm under 10 minutes a mile. 

Started C25K - June 17, 2011

Completed C25K - August 21, 2011

First 5K: September 17, 2011 (Wipe Out Kids’ Cancer Oktoberfest Run) - 34:44 (avg 11:10 a mile)

Best 5K run in 2011 - 10/24/11 - 30:34 (avg 9:51 a mile)

October 29, 2011 (Trek or Treat 5K) - 31:56 (avg 10:14 a mile)

Personal Record - 1/29/12 - 5K - 28:27 (avg 9:12 a mile)

March 3, 2012 (Allen Eagle Run 5K) - 31:20 (avg 10:06 a mile)

March 31, 2012 (Firefly Run 5K) - 31:15 (avg 10:01 a mile)

August 12, 2012 (Hottest Half 10K) - 1:13:18 (avg 11:48 a mile)

October 27, 2012 (Dallas 13.1 Marathon) - 2:41:36 (avg 12:20 a mile)

November 22, 2012 (Dallas Turkey Trot 8 miles) - 1:33:08 (avg 11:38 a mile)

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    1,387. Oct 24, 2011 7:10 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I've finally started running outside and although I have a hard time with all the hills in my neighborhood, I do seem to be getting better at them.  My lung capacity is definitely getting better.  Today we did a short hike with an 800' climb in 1/2 mile and I wasn't winded, though I was going very slowly because my husband was having problems with the steepness.  Last run was yesterday and I did a 3.4 mile semi-loop in 40 minutes.  I had to walk briefly twice going up hills and once on a descent when I got a side stitch.  Still, I felt really good at the end of it.  I've decided not to worry so much about what people are thinking as I trot slowly by and just enjoy the day.  At least I'm doing something besides sit at the computer.

• abbynormaloh75 Pro 111 posts since
    Sep 19, 2011
    1,388. Oct 25, 2011 4:49 AM (in response to RunningQueen26)

RunningQueen26 wrote:

My best run ever!  Went before dinner and app wasn't working correctly. Was so mad I went home and stopped after about a mile.  Then decided to try again after dinner and ran 3.1 miles in 30:34 averaging 9:51 a mile!  I'm trying to get my time under 30 for my next 5K.  I'm thrilled I'm under 10 minutes a mile. 

way to go RunningQueen.  I was thrilled just to complete my first 16 minute mile.  Awesome job.

• Leadville Fan Pro 176 posts since
    Oct 8, 2009
    1,389. Oct 25, 2011 7:56 AM (in response to AlfNiner)

I think you're on to something.  we need the support system of our family, even if they don't mentally think we're all there ;-)  we need them to SHOW support and BE our cheerleaders!!!

Run4Choclt:  RE: GUs.  Dont' let the race be the first time you try them.  go ahead, waste the $1 and try a flavor at home. You won't know until you taste it if you'll like it or not. My sister can do the sweet flavors of lime green, orange and yellow packets.  I can not do those flavors, I like the Chocolate Outrage (which tastes like a brownie) and  the Espresso Love, which is more like a toffee flavor.

Word of caution, these are easier to swallow when they're warm (I have pockets in my running pants, or put them in my jog-bra).  If you have them on your fuel belt they will probably be a little harder/stiffer . . . and when they are warm they tend to ooze out of the packet very easily.   

Take yoru GU and swallow with some water--not electrolyte/gatorade/cytomax, just straight water.

I like GUs for my halfs. but really I am switching to the love of Cytomax. It has protein in it, which is great for longer runs and I find that it's not too much sugar for me at one time (which, for me, leads to time in the bathroom).

MY FIRST MARATHON:

Great day, nice and cool to start off with. Ran the first mile a little faster than I wanted to, did the first half marathon in 2:30, just 10 min. over my flat course PR, and I was feeling good. .. . then the hills set in on the course.  Stayed pretty good until mile 15, then got very disheartened at the hills and the course.  Started my run/walk method here. . . run down the hills, walk up them. One was about 4 blocks long of a climb.   One woman started run/walking with me and then said she had never run more than 12 miles and had switched from teh half to the full. (waht was THAT about ??? nutzy!!)  Lots of people otu there run/walking too. . . on teh really long hill I noticed a woman "jogging' up the hill who never was that far ahead of us. We were walking and catching her. Reaffirmed that I was making the right decision.   The 12 mile marathoner was dropped by me at mile 22 or 23. She was cramping and said she was only drinking water!  I was like, 'this is not the time for teacher me to kick in.'  I thought it was mean of me, but I coudln't stay with her and educate her on something she needs to a) learn on her own and b) should have been reading/trainign for when I needed to c) reach my goal!!!

Last couple miles were almost all down hill, until the last half mile, then up the hill, around a corner and then it flattened and went into a downhill.  It was GREAT!  My husband was therefor me at the finish line--great support.   We walked around for about 20 minutes just to calm down the legs, drink in the fluids, etc. 

I originally thought, with the timing I was making on the first half, I could finish under 5 hours, then it was a struggle to finish under 5:30.        5:25 and some change!!!! woo hooo. 

LOTS of hills on the second half.  More than I expected, even though I had seen the elevation chart before the race. 

Question   Why would people call a race with hills "flat"?? there were a lot of comments on the facebook page for this race that from people who were saying this was a 'great flat course' and they seemed to be serious.  Does that have to do with negative  altitude gain? or something?

adult running life commenced: March 2009

2012 Rock n Roll USA Marathon 5:28:53 unseasonably hot day, full sunshine, sunburned and dehydrated during race

Omaha Maraton 5:17: __ yeah, new PR! Too bad the brain got in the way and slowed me down! ---recycled glass finisher medals.

2011:

April Fools 5K 32:13.7 age division: 28/71

7th half: Kansas City Hospital Hill 1/2--this thing is tough, but the heat/humidity were tougher: 2:45:43

8th half: Park 2 Park 1/2-New PR 2:21 and change

St. Louis FULL Marathon (my first!!!) Hilly, hilly, course full of turns 5:24

Sullivan Bros. Veterans' 5K 30:10 New 5K PR

2010:

4th half (5/1/10) --ran injured, DUMB move.

Sullivan Bros. Veteran's 5K/10K (11/2010) 1:07:17.7

6th half: Vegas half (12/2010) New PR! woot woot. 02:27:58

St. Patricks 8K (Wash. D.C.) (3/2009)

1st half 3:04 (5/2009)

10K 1:17 (10/31/09) HOT, humid, Kaua'i

3rd half: Vegas 1/2 (2:34:48) (12/2009)

I will live my life; life lived in fear is not living. ~~me

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    1,390. Oct 25, 2011 9:18 AM (in response to Leadville Fan)

protometal What a great run. Thank you fro bringing us along and congrats on the strong finish and good time.

abbynormaloh75 Congratulations on a great first official 5k!

AlfNinerX Thanks, re: my brother & sisters' visit. I've carried a water bottle on a "fanny pack" for some 10 mile summer runs. It was a little awkward but at least I didnt dehydrate. I'll be curious to see what you come up with as a solution.

Run4Choclt I bet you WERE fatigued from your Saturday race. Rest up for your half! I'm excited for you. Bummer about not having a cheering club at your races. My hubby has been to a few of mine and (especially because of my age, I think) my teenagers are really proud of me, that is a great motivator.

OshCat Smart doing the run/commute. Have you ever tried the Runners World "Smart Coach" training schedule? Its free and I was really surprised at the recommended training. It was so different from what I would have done on my own, plus it DID get me to my goal (for the last 10K)

AlfNinerX Let me know how you like the powerbar squish packet...

6xchampsfan Good advice for Run4Choclt Go, Run4Choclt, go!

Terranss Wow, am I ever glad to meet you! Thanks for the great advice about the gels and the reminder about why most of us run. "benefiting local non-profit, no-kill animal shelters and pet adoption centers." <~ Oh, yes!! I am a BIG supporter of animal charity. I "Run For The Critters" http://www.melodylealamb.com/html/3rd_run_for_critters.html 

"third-place medal for my age group" <~ Good for you and THANK YOU for helping the critters!

Abby Good luck out there and my thoughts are with you. ((Hugs))

runbrenrun Good luck on the extra push in your new shoes.

RunningQueen26 Congrats on your great run!

GinnyinPA I agree! Just enjoy yourself and ignore all those thoughts about what other people think. Feeling good spills over into everything we do!

Leadville Fan I am SO PROUD of you!! Congratulation on your marathon! Yay you.

I did a sweet little 3.5 mile run this morning. The fall colors were stunning and the day was blustery! It was a pleasure the whole run.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Run4Choclt Pro 80 posts since
    Aug 17, 2011
    1,391. Oct 25, 2011 11:10 AM (in response to Leadville Fan)

Leadville.. I didn't get a GU pkt yet. I found GU Chomps which are in a gummy form. Ever heard of those? I'd think it is the same as the GU pack, just in the different form. I'm going to try one or two tomorrow during my last run before my half to see how it fairs with my stomach and see how I like the taste. I'm only doing 6 miles max - I guess I should have tried these during my last long run. No time now though!

You cracked me up when you were talking about the 12 mile marathoner - why would you switch to a full marathon?! And why would you not research hydration methods for that kind of distance?!  Great job on your 1st marathon though, what an inspiration!

Melody.. no cheering club at my races but (for the first time) a few of them will be at my half. So they're only there to go shopping, at least they are there! Now, if I come back Monday and tell you they went shopping instead of being at the finish line, I'll be pissed!!!

Thanks for all the advise thus far everyone!

-2011 Races-

8/28/11 - Pekin, IL Greater Area Peoria 5k (1st ever 5k!) - 37:05

9/3/11 - Kewanee, IL Hog Stomp 4m - 45:23

9/10/11 - East Troy, WI Historical Society 5k - 34:02

9/17/11 - Morton, IL Pumpkin Classic 10k - 1:06:22

10/1/11 - Morton, IL St. Jude Road Race 5k - 31:56 - PR

10/8/11 - Peoria, IL United Way 5k - 32:50

10/22/11 - Peoria, IL Boo Run 5k - 32:50

10/29/11 - Chicago, IL Monster Dash Half Marathon (1st ever HM!) - 2:40:06

- Training For 2012 Races-

3/3/12 - Peoria, IL Gaelic Gallop 5k -

3/10/12 - Morton, IL Cactus Classic 10k or half ? -

3/24/12 - Pekin, IL Saints 5k -

3/24/12 - Peoria, IL Interplanetary 5k -

3/31/12 - Peoria Heights, IL Half Marathon -

• Julia66 Pro 75 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    1,392. Oct 25, 2011 3:50 PM (in response to RunningQueen26)

@RunningQueen - good job improving the pace. Sounds like your goal is reachable. I'm with you on the 10-min mile hurdle, it's a great milestone. Ran a nice 5K-distance training run this morning at 10:14 pace and it didn't even feel hard. Makes me think I may be able to keep that pace on my 10K race next month.

@leadville - quite something on the marathon. I guess hilly is relative - perhaps those who called the race flat are used to running major hills. Hydration and electrolytes are important. I think my problem on the last few miles of my half was lack of calories - there was supposed to be electrolyte at miles 8 and 10.5 but they ran out so I had nothing but water after electrolyte at mile 4. And I didn't take the Gu at mile 10 because I'd never tried it before. 300 calories since I woke up that day wasn't enough energy for 13.1 miles.

Completed 2013:

Guadalupe River Run 10K April 2013 (1:01:36) PR!!

Completed 2012:

Turkey Trot 5K Nov 2012

RSS Fun Run 10K May 2012 (1:03:17)

Mermaid Run 10K May 2012 (1:09:37)

Completed 2011:

Turkey Trot 10K Nov 2011 (1:05:20)

Firefly 5K Oct 2011 (49:14) - with DH and DS at son's pace

Rock 'n' Roll Half Oct 2011 (2:32:12)

Run for the Sun 5K Aug 2011 (30:17) PR!!

Coyote Hills 3.5 mi Jan 2011 (38:47)

• 6xchampsfan Pro 184 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011
    1,393. Oct 25, 2011 4:56 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

LeadvilleFan congratulations! Great job and loved your story, especially about the hills. I had the same experience on my first. It was advertised as flat and most was but right smack in the middle was a pretty steep mile and a half hill. It doesn't sound like much but I trained for FLAT and being my first marathon I had no extra to spare. I managed to finish but lesson learned. I train for a little harder than I expect for races now. Seems to work. Congratulations again and welcome to the club marathoner.

MelodyLea your run sounds awesome. My favorite kind of run. I'm envious.

RunningQueen26  great job. I love how you didn't give up on the day's run. Persistence pays off. Great pace.

Well day 10 without a run. Went to docs today and it's going to be a while. Hope it's ok I'm living (running) vicariously through all of you. Good news is I can bike if I cut back my mileage and do easier rides. I'll take what I can get. Run happy everyone and enjoy every step.

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    1,394. Oct 26, 2011 5:07 AM (in response to 6xchampsfan)

6xchampsfan Thanks and good advice about training a little extra for the unexpected!

Run4Choclt Lets us know how you like the GU Chomps

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 ... 327 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...