Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7256 Views 29 Replies Latest reply: Oct 31, 2011 4:44 PM by socalrunner59 RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • _Miles Pro 147 posts since
    Jul 26, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Oct 11, 2011 12:18 PM (in response to treefrog13)
    So when does the weight start dropping?

I just thought of something else I wanted to add. While I do think it comes down to calories in vs calories out, someone up above asked how you know what your basal calories burned are. And I think that's where we get in trouble. If you go online and plug stuff in it might tell you something like 1500 or 1800 or 2000 for an overweight but sedentary person. I've always found those things to be misleading. And that's not even touching people who might have thyroid or just metabolic issues. We're all a little different, and while I do believe in the core of calories in vs calories out, I think people's bodies are a little different and sometimes it just doesn't work even when the math says it should. Another positive thing for me even though I've maybe lost 2 lbs in 5 months has been to think about how I'm not gaining weight. How if I keep this up until my one year anniversary of jogging it might be the first year in my life that I did not gain any weight. I know losing weight seems like the ultimate goal, but not gaining might be an improvement for many of us (or at least me).

-Miles

C25k Completed 08/19/11

OHR Completed 10/23/11

5k 09/24/11: 39:10

2011: 280 miles, ~14:00 mm avg

2012: 321.2 miles (so far)

• BerniesRun Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 11, 2011
    16. Oct 11, 2011 1:17 PM (in response to treefrog13)

My weight has been yo-yoing, down 4, then crept up 3.  Very frustrating when you're putting in the sweat equity.  One thing that might help if you decide to calorie count is using an app that would make it very portable, helps if you go out to eat, or when grocery shopping (some have barcode scanning capabilities).  I use one that's called Calorie Counter by FatSecret.  It's very useful when used consistently.  Good luck, glad you're still dedicated to running regardless of weight loss

• redrunner32 Pro 151 posts since
    Sep 29, 2010
    17. Oct 11, 2011 2:49 PM (in response to treefrog13)

It'll come off - just very very slowly if you do not change your eating habits (less calories). 

• runnermommy3 Pro 139 posts since
    Feb 6, 2011
    18. Oct 11, 2011 4:14 PM (in response to treefrog13)

I started WW the same time I started doing C25K, and now I've dropped 47.8 lbs. The biggest thing for me was being vigilant about my portion sizes. I was definitely underestimating how much I was eating. I've also cut out a lot of the simple carbs, and will eat a lot less of complex carbs. I still have my weeks where I don't lose much more than a few ounces, but overall it's been a huge change.

Carolyn, wife to Chad and mom to three boys

Started WW and C25K on 1/10/11

Starting Weight: 184.4 lbs

Goal Weight: 130 lbs

Current Weight: 131.4

Rookie runner

Race results for 2011:

Shamrock Shuffle 8K 4/10/11 - 1:10:26

Bridge to Bridge 5K 5/7/11 - 39:59

Graham's Sundae 5K 7/31/11 - 38:48

Eagles Run 5K 8/6/11 - 38:28

Run for the Athletes 5K 8/17/11 - 39.04

Pumpkin Run 10K 10/30/11 - 1:12:24

Hot Chocolate 5K 11/5/11 - 34:24 - PR!!!!

Fox and the Turkey Trot 4 miler - 44:34

Snowflake Shuffle 5K - 35:11 - last race of 2011

Race results for 2012:

Shamrock Shuffle 8K 3/25/12 - 56:42!!

• beege33 Amateur 21 posts since
    May 10, 2008
    19. Oct 11, 2011 6:00 PM (in response to treefrog13)
    Re: So when does the weight start dropping?

I can only say what has worked for me, and I feel like I've done things in a gradual, non-gimmicky way. Maybe it won't work for everyone, but here it is:

August 8, started a new job and decided it was a clean start for my diet makeover. I began tracking everything (food, drink, exercise) using the MyPlate tool at Livestrong.com. I plugged in my information and that I wanted to lose 2 pounds/week, and it told me I could eat something like 1242 net calories a day at my starting weight to achieve that. When I enter my food/exercise, I purposefully overestimate food a little bit (because we usually underestimate portions, forget what stuff is cooked in, etc.) and underestimate my exercise times (we usually think we burn more than we do.) This is just my way to try and keep things in check. In general, I try to stay below 1100 net calories a day, but some days (usually Friday or Saturday) can cut it closer. You have to give yourself a break every once in awhile, I think.

My biggest diet change was cutting out added sugar. Cokes (soda, pop, whatever you call it) are by far my biggest source of junk calories, and I'm not exaggerating to say I was drinking 800-1,000 calories of it a day. I also stopped with sweets, most white bread, red meat (sad face), and generally anything fried that is delicious (double sad face.) I also kicked up my exercise. For the first three weeks, all I did was walk - I tried to hit 3-5 miles a day. Beginning on August 29, I started C25K, did it every night for the first 4-5 weeks, and coupled it with additional 2-3 miles a day walking. Now that the runs are longer (I'm on Week 7), I do them 3 times a week and add in 2-3 miles walking on off-nights and post C25K workouts.

That's basically been it, and I've lost about 25 pounds in two months. It was slow going at first, but the last month or so has been a steady drop. My two cents is just this: if you really are watching what you eat (but not starving yourself), and you are exercising regularly and much more than you did before, you will drop weight. There's no way you can't. But you do have to be patient, work hard, and stick with it. Believe me, I started/stopped for two years before this round took. You can do it! 

C25K -- Graduated 11.8.11

Coney Island Boardwalk 5K Turkey Trot, 11.20.11: 32:30.99 ~ 10:28/mile

Indianapolis Drumstick Dash, 11.24.11:

• abbynormaloh75 Pro 111 posts since
    Sep 19, 2011
    20. Oct 12, 2011 6:31 AM (in response to beege33)

i am so glad you guys said this.  my calories are about 1,100 a day.  and i am happy with that.  that is three meals and one decent snack.  i have cut out soda, and cut the carbs in half.  i am drinking 6-8 glasses of water a day (closer to 6 to be honest) and exercising 6 days a week.  i am racking up about 20 miles a week walking and jogging.  people say i should increase my calories, but i am NOT hungry.  I have noticed it takes less to fill me up and that makes me happy.  i think over time the weight has to come off. and well if not, at least i am a healthy fat. i dont know what else to think.

• Mikala_SF Pro 87 posts since
    Apr 14, 2008
    21. Oct 17, 2011 9:32 AM (in response to treefrog13)

I started back to exercising after gaining weight during pregnancies.  I had about 45 pounds to lose and started back in June.  I didn't hardly lose at all for the first few months.  I'd lose a half-pound and then gain it back the following week.  I finally started to lose consistently a few weeks ago.  I think it took some time for my metabolim to get geared up again, for the muscle to build back up again to burn more calories throughout the day. My diet has been better but not stellar. 

What kind of numbers are you looking for?  I think 1 pound a week is very realistic and, most importantly, sustainable.  Fast weight loss can equal fast weight gain when you can't maintain what you did to lose the weight. 

My weight loss blog, pictures, etc (started in 2007):

http://diaryofanaspiringloser.blogspot.com

• abbynormaloh75 Pro 111 posts since
    Sep 19, 2011
    22. Oct 18, 2011 5:59 AM (in response to Mikala_SF)

Mikala_SF wrote:

I started back to exercising after gaining weight during pregnancies.  I had about 45 pounds to lose and started back in June.  I didn't hardly lose at all for the first few months.  I'd lose a half-pound and then gain it back the following week.  I finally started to lose consistently a few weeks ago.  I think it took some time for my metabolim to get geared up again, for the muscle to build back up again to burn more calories throughout the day. My diet has been better but not stellar. 

What kind of numbers are you looking for?  I think 1 pound a week is very realistic and, most importantly, sustainable.  Fast weight loss can equal fast weight gain when you can't maintain what you did to lose the weight. 

My first goal is the toughest.  I started at 249 (my heaviest ever) I put on almost 100 pounds with my daughter.  It was a rough nine months.  complete bed rest, my son diagnosed with autism.  All I did was lay there and be depressed, hoping to not go back into preterm labor and upset about my son.  Then I got divorced (ex just couldnt deal with health problems or autism) so I laid on the couch for a few months.  Anyways...decided I was NEVER going to weight 250.  So....Started at 249, currently weight 236.8.  Want to weight 150.  Granted...I am only 5'2" so 150 is still over weight.  But lets get there first.  Ideally 130 would be awesome.  But I don't know if that is even possible anymore. LOL

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    23. Oct 19, 2011 12:08 PM (in response to abbynormaloh75)

Abby, gosh you've been through a lot of challenges in a short period of time and with two little ones, too. I can't imagine. Your Basal Metabolic Rate is supposed to calculate the number of calories you would need to sustain yourself at your current weight if you stayed in bed all day and did nothing. There are several ways to calculate BMR, which leads me to be suspicious, but the concept is widely accepted by health professionals that if you eat below your BMR, your metabolism will slow down into a starvation mode to protect you and this could be unhealthy in the long run. Here's a calculator. http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

There are many others. This one says a woman your weight and height who is around 30 should be eating more than1800 calories a day. That is a lot but I'd question the wisdom of 1100 after seeing your BMR, knowing you are caring for two young ones and running. After someone suggested I was eating too little I calculated my BMR. It turned out to be 1450. I was eating at or below 1200 daily. I started eating 1400 just to give it a try and started eventually losing. The weight loss was too slow for me so I am now at 1370 and running longer. Still hate how slow it is but glad to see the numbers going down at last. Last two weeks I wasn't keeping track and my weight is going back up. Sad to say there is probably a connection. Hate to think I will have to lose the same weight over again.

What Miles has said makes sense to me. At some point the distance run will burn so many calories that the weight will drop noticeably. Until then, we probably will have to diet the same way we would have had to before running if we want to see results. Blahhh.

Good luck to all!

MaryKay

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• seb34 Expert 58 posts since
    Mar 24, 2011
    24. Oct 20, 2011 3:45 AM (in response to treefrog13)

hey!  i have to chime in here, because there's actually more going on than calories in vs. calories out.  your body has a "set point" weight that it tries hard to maintain - you know how some people are super skinny and can eat all day long but never gain a pound?  or how about the "overweight" person who exercises daily and eats a strict diet, but never loses a pound?  for me, this is definitely true.  i was sedentary for years and maintained about the same weight.  then i started exercising, lost some weight, but slowly gained it back.  not because i stopped exercising, but because my body got "used to" it and started finding ways to get back to the set point.  check out the book "health at every size" to read more.  there is scientific evidence to back all of this up!

sarah in pa

candy cane 5k, 12/8/12 36:25

historic bethelehem turkey trot, 11/24/12 37:18

turning point 5k, 10/6/12 38:38

run wild at the lehigh valley zoo 5k, 8/19/12 40:38

2012 first night resolution run 5k, 12/31/11, 37:15

children's miracle network turkey trot, 11/19/11, 35:15

haven of hope 5k, 11/5/11, 37:53

steps to safety 5k, 9/18/11, 40:03

first 5k, sue crowe memorial 5k: 7/17/11, 42:38

goal: fun!

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    25. Oct 26, 2011 4:54 PM (in response to seb34)

Sara,

In my gut and experience I know you are right but I have yet to see scientific explanation for how two bodies at the same weight and activity level can maintain the same size on very different caloric intakes over a long period of time. For one thing, men lose weight faster than women; a man at the same relative activity level and proportional calorie intake will lose greater percentage of body weight in a shorter period of time than a woman and there is no scientific proof that women have proportionally less muscle mass than men to explain this. I suspect there are enzymes and hormones regulating weight maintenance that are not being considered when folks say less calories in than calories burned equals weight loss. Perhaps bodies expend calories more efficiently at rest and in exertion when they are in a starvation mode; i.e., regulators hold down blood pressure and metabolism.

There's a new study that supports what you are saying. http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryCare/Obesity/29298  Findings suggest that there's an elevated body weight "set point" and efforts to lower weight beyond this point are "vigorously resisted." Although the study was performed on obese people, there isn't any reason the conclusions could not apply to someone who is any given weight and loses 30 lbs. or 15% of her body weight. Here's the actual study but it's pay-per-view:

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1105816

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• seb34 Expert 58 posts since
    Mar 24, 2011
    26. Oct 28, 2011 3:38 AM (in response to mkayc)

Hi Mary Kay,

Thanks for your reply - I actually just heard about that study on the radio and was pleasantly surprised to hear that it's getting some publicity.  There is a book called "Health at Every Size" by Linda Bacon (yes I got a giggle out of that too).  She cites lots of scientific evidence and also explains why it hasn't had the same exposure as studies that support dieting.  I would highly recommend reading that, I think it will answer a lot of your questions.  I believe it has to do with hormones and the evolutionary pressure for women to retain body fat moreso than men.

I do wish more people would read about this and get on board.  The "Health at Every Size" message has had such a positive impact on my life.  I feel a little "evangelical" about it at times.  At this point, I exercise because I *like* it.  I started running (and continue to run routinely) because I enjoy the way it makes me feel.  I don't worry at all about my weight, but I do worry about my energy and mood.  If I'm on the fence about working out, I don't think of the fries I had last night, but instead I think of the kids I work with and how they deserve to have a teacher who's excited to be at work instead of falling asleep at her desk.

-Sarah

sarah in pa

candy cane 5k, 12/8/12 36:25

historic bethelehem turkey trot, 11/24/12 37:18

turning point 5k, 10/6/12 38:38

run wild at the lehigh valley zoo 5k, 8/19/12 40:38

2012 first night resolution run 5k, 12/31/11, 37:15

children's miracle network turkey trot, 11/19/11, 35:15

haven of hope 5k, 11/5/11, 37:53

steps to safety 5k, 9/18/11, 40:03

first 5k, sue crowe memorial 5k: 7/17/11, 42:38

goal: fun!

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    27. Oct 28, 2011 6:15 AM (in response to treefrog13)

Diet, Diet, Diet.

The diet piece is the hardest part.  Try to eat smaller portions, but more of them.  I typically eat a banana and a granola bar for breakfast, then a healthy snack around 10'ish, lunch, healthy snack at 3'ish and a lite dinner sometime before 6.

Obviously what you take it matters too.  You're working hard when you run (I am anyway), what you put into your system can help maximize what you get out of those workouts.

Cheers.

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• Mikala_SF Pro 87 posts since
    Apr 14, 2008
    28. Oct 31, 2011 11:33 AM (in response to abbynormaloh75)

Wow Abby, that's one heck of a year. But sometimes it's times like this that kick us into gear.  I know for me, the stress reduction alone is worth the effort it takes to exercise.  If I wasn't working out I might have crumpled over less stressors than you are dealing with.  So keep that in mind as another reason to get out there and move your body.  YOU deserve it!!

My weight loss blog, pictures, etc (started in 2007):

http://diaryofanaspiringloser.blogspot.com

• socalrunner59 Rookie 5 posts since
    Oct 31, 2011
    29. Oct 31, 2011 4:44 PM (in response to treefrog13)

The New York Times science section blog did a good article explaining the lack of weight lose when exercise alone is used.  it comes down to the very few calories that we burn during an activity; and the fact that there is not "afterburner", not even in well conditioned athletes. 

I was extremely fit most of my life; then we moved to the cold east coast and i got really heavy.  I did not count a single calorie, but I lost 70 lbs when we moved back to the west coast.  For me it was elimination of all wheat/gluten; a healthy diet; and a lot of exercise. It's been over two years and I'm still maintaining my weight and in fact, I'm in better shape now than I was ten or so years ago.  I work out 5-6 days a week. Weight training is key--if you are going to run, you need to strengthen your legs.  I've run since the '70's; weight training has improved my running; helped with weight lose; and given me an awesome body.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/04/phys-ed-why-doesnt-exercise-lead-to-weight-loss/

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points