Skip navigation

1240 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2011 12:52 PM by southbayfae RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 30, 2011 11:07 AM

Marsh Madness 5k 10k Half Marathon Reviews

Share your experiences with the Marsh Madness 5k 10k Half Marathon below Back to event details page.

• Michel-B Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 31, 2009
    1. Oct 30, 2011 11:07 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Marsh Madness 5k 10k Half Marathon Reviews

I ran the half marathon in 2011, had run the 10K in 2008.  Compared to many other events, I really like Marsh Madness because well organized, moderate size (total 6-800 this year for the 3 races), beautiful course along the Bay, and nice behavior from all the participants.  I have run other races on the same course but starting from Shoreline that were a disaster because of poor organization and overcrowdness.  The half marathon winner did 1h19', so there is serious competition.  Overall excellent rating.

• pkar Pro 66 posts since
    Feb 21, 2011
    2. Oct 30, 2011 12:00 PM (in response to Guest )

I liked the "rooting sections" that were stationed along the route. Also appreciated the BBQ hamburgers, etc afterwards. I was not expecting this when I signed up, so that was a nice treat. Great views. The gravel pathway made it a little challenging, but that's what a race is supposed to offer - a challenge.

Only one suggestion: start the awards ceremony a little earlier as so many left that it didn't give appreciation to those top score winners.

Phyllis - 87

San Jose CA

Aug 18, 2010 Started walking/running In my Neighborhood, SJ CA 1 mi 26:08 min

My First Race

Nov 14,2010 Habitat for Humanity, Stanford, Ca 5K 56:08 min 3rd Women’s 70+

2012 Events:

1/1/12 New Years Runfor Healthy World Palo Alto 5K 46:33

1/28/12 Coyote Hills, Fremont CA 5K 52:59

3/3/12 Helyer Park, San Jose 5K 46:47

3/10/12 Juana Run Palo alto 8K 1:12:22

3/11/12 Calif. Senior Games Palo Alto Race Walk 5K 44:56 Qualified in my age group for Nationals in 2013

3/17/12 Go Green St Patricks Day Run 5K 31:27 Actual distance run: 2.22 miles

• SarahLibanti Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    3. Oct 30, 2011 2:14 PM (in response to Guest )

Overall this event was a lot of fun, well organized and had great cheering sections along the half marathon course.  The only downside was that there are gnats all along the course.  I guess if you're familiar with the Palo Alto Baylands then you might already expect that, but this was my first visit to this location and my first half marathon.  Other than the millions of gnats that committed suicide on me, it was a great experience and a perfect option for someone looking for a first time half marathon since the crowd size for the race is easy to manage.  You don't have to try and elbow your way through huge amounts of people but can spend that energy taking in the scenery.

• Swee Lan Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 27, 2011
    4. Oct 30, 2011 2:17 PM (in response to Guest )

Wish the volunteers would be friendlier. Love the course.

• jager28 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 16, 2008
    5. Oct 30, 2011 2:34 PM (in response to Guest )

Very well organized.  I agree with the others, the cheering sections were great.  All of the volunteers were very friendly and the course was well marked.  Overall, it was a great race and I had a great time.  One concern for the future, there are a few areas where the trails are a bit narrow.  As the level of participation continues to grow, those areas on the course could be bottlenecks. 

• Rosiebug Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 30, 2009
    6. Oct 30, 2011 6:53 PM (in response to Guest )

This was a fun and well organized event!! I enjoyed it completely and will definately run it again next year! Thank you to all the wonderful voulunteers and folks cheering from the sidelines! Awesome day!

• PKuykendall Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 30, 2011
    7. Oct 30, 2011 10:52 PM (in response to Guest )

I found this race chaotic and stressful.  They started late, weren't clear about what race was starting when, and looped the courses back on themselves so that during the final two miles of the 10K you were caught in a huge traffic jam of runners.

• rfcruz Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 11, 2009
    8. Oct 30, 2011 11:40 PM (in response to Guest )

An awesome run!  Perfect for the fall.  If your starting out or an experienced marathoner... this is just pure fun.  Running inthe Marsh lands of PA was peaceful... and it's great to get a beer and a hamburger in the end!

• SaundraNamimatsu Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 5, 2011
    9. Oct 31, 2011 7:34 AM (in response to Guest )

I was in town from Las Vegas and I ran the 10k. Loved the size, the route and will definitely do it again. Worth coming from out of state to participate. Low stress, pretty well organized and fun for a good cause.

• jeepgirl92 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 5, 2011
    10. Oct 31, 2011 10:11 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first 10k and it was great. The course was so nice and the weather was perfect. I can't wait to register for another run soon.

• LizaLoo Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 8, 2009
    11. Oct 31, 2011 2:09 PM (in response to Guest )

Great race for the price.  It's small, so doesn't have some of the perks of larger more expensive races, but also doesn't have the crowds, long lines for bathrooms and food, etc.  Very family friendly, and easy, free nearby parking.  Only 100 or so half marathon runners, so supporters along the course did get sparse once you were out of the 5k and 10k loops, but the folks who were out there were sincere!  Burgers, hot dogs, beers and live music afterwards = awesome!

• southbayfae Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 1, 2011
    12. Nov 1, 2011 12:52 PM (in response to Guest )

This is my first Half Marathon. We started 1/2 hr late, the route is good except there was a section of the route have so much bugs. All the bugs hit my face and mouth. Disappointed with no finishing medals.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...