Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2205 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2011 6:07 AM by flamomof3 RSS
seb34 Expert 58 posts since
Mar 24, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 1, 2011 2:57 PM

i love running... but i didn't always

in the last couple of months, i have really discovered how much i love running.  at times it was hard and i had to push myself to stick with it, but i really feel like now i just out and out enjoy it.

i thought it might be good for those struggling with running to hear how others have developed a love for it, and it might be fun for those who know and love running to reminisce about how they came to feel that way.

so, if you love running, how did you get there?  and if you don't love running, what are your goals and your challenges?

sarah in pa

candy cane 5k, 12/8/12 36:25

historic bethelehem turkey trot, 11/24/12 37:18

turning point 5k, 10/6/12 38:38

run wild at the lehigh valley zoo 5k, 8/19/12 40:38

2012 first night resolution run 5k, 12/31/11, 37:15

children's miracle network turkey trot, 11/19/11, 35:15

haven of hope 5k, 11/5/11, 37:53

steps to safety 5k, 9/18/11, 40:03

first 5k, sue crowe memorial 5k: 7/17/11, 42:38

goal: fun!

• SergeStorms Amateur 14 posts since
    Aug 5, 2011
    1. Nov 1, 2011 4:54 PM (in response to seb34)

Running SLOWER!  In the past, I always seemed to try to do too much, too fast.  Couch to 5 K helped immensely....and, more importantly, research the long SLOW run.....it helps in ALL programs and fat burning.  Slow runs are what keep me in it AND seeing results.

• blackworld Amateur 8 posts since
    Jul 26, 2011
    2. Nov 1, 2011 6:53 PM (in response to seb34)

I love running too, it really helps me to circulate my blood. I did it twice a week and join different marathon's as possible.

• Kristy in NC Pro 134 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    4. Nov 5, 2011 10:26 AM (in response to seb34)

What keeps me at it is seeing the benefits I'm reaping.  They are something others looking at me would not notice, but I do.  My complexion has improved a lot, and I think it's due to the increased blood flow (evidenced by my beat red face after a 3 mile run).  The circulation to my feet and legs are better too (I won't tell you how I know).  I've been diagnosed with early mild COPD, and this is helping my breathing a lot.  While I haven't lost much weight, I can tell that my build is changing.  It's something I can do most any time, although I'm more of a morning runner.  And it feels good to accomplish whatever my running goal of the day is.  It's improving my confidence, and I like the other runners I meet.  I love the atmosphere surrounding the races I've been part of, and the encouragement that is widely and openly shared with all.  Overall - what is there to not like?

Kristy in NC

3/12/11 - St. Patricks Day 5K - First 5K - 43 min

7/4/11 - Peachtree Road Race - 1hr 30 min

9/2/11 - BB&T Sunset 5K - 40:48

10/22/11 - Rocktoberfest 5K - 38:53

11/5/11 - CommYOUnity 5K - 37:22

11/24/11 - Butterball 5K - 37:03

3/25/12 - Charlotte Motor Speedway 5K - 34:21

• RunningButterbean Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 9, 2011
    6. Nov 9, 2011 4:46 PM (in response to seb34)

I loved running but fell out of love for the last 20 years due to injuries.  Just trying to get back into it and am figuring out how to do that.  Treadmill first.  and of course there is all this info on barefoot running now that caught me by surprise so trying to figure out if that could help.  Tricky times!

• wrogersmp Amateur 9 posts since
    Oct 21, 2011
    7. Nov 9, 2011 5:12 PM (in response to seb34)

You guys hit the nail on the head. I love running too! I love the feeling of a trail run, or even a 5k in November in New England freezing my tail off! lol. Anyway, the reason I commented on this is because I am trying to get as many members as I can on a facebook page dedicated to running, and working out! I dont get anything from it I just want it to be a cool place on facebook where people share there stories, workout strategies, running locations, stretches, and pictures. I am serious about this, making a page for the love of exercise and fitness. If you have a facebook, please "Like" the page, and PLEASE share it with your friends. Thanks guys, see you on the trail! -ROG  

www.facebook.com/ShredFLYfitness

Thanks again guys!

• Basscycle Legend 236 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Nov 10, 2011 4:09 PM (in response to seb34)

There are quite a few times when I don't love running. Heck, I don't even like it sometimes! There are runs when the last two miles or so (typically uphill false flats of varying degrees on my way home) are so tough to get through that I have to force my mind off of the punishment in order to make it home without stopping. And then there are the times when it's 42 degrees F and raining -- there are few things I hate more than 10 miles in cold'ish rain. But, I get out and do it because I'm a runner. And being a runner allows me to have some pretty cool experiences on the road and it's times like those that make all the tough runs worthwhile.

My blog: RunningMyMouthOff.com

• Labsrus2 Expert 51 posts since
    Mar 25, 2011
    9. Dec 19, 2011 9:49 AM (in response to seb34)

Pretty interesting topic,

Why do I like to run.  There are many reasons.  Feeling better and the feeling of completing a race is awesome.  I have a Freshman in College who ran cross country and track in high school.  His High School has a Tri Club that he was active in and he has run a few of them outside of the the one that the class does.  While at these tri's  I noticed a lot of older men and women who were competing in the events.

So after watching him for the last 4 years I deceided to at least join him on the runs.  That has been one of the many side benefits to running, spending time with my son.

The last two running sessions are done early in the morning.  Pretty cold outside and a little snow and rain.  I still got up got ready and ran my 3 to 4 miles.  Makes a great way to start the day.

I like my Lab Black just like my coffee

Corporate Challenge 5K May 22, 37 minutes 11 seconds

Fathers Day 5K, 31 minutes 55 seconds

Seneca Zoo 5K Cross Country Race, 31 minutes 25 seconds

Thanksgiving Turkey Trot 2.5 mile, 22 minutes 20 seconds

Spring Forward 2.5 Mile, 28 minutes 8 seconds

Rochester 5k 30 minutes 20 seconds

Lilac 10 k 1 hour 8 minutes

Corporate Challange 3.5 mile, 34 minutes 10 seconds

• Robert31320 Amateur 17 posts since
    Nov 19, 2010
    10. Dec 26, 2011 2:21 PM (in response to Labsrus2)

Why do I like to run?

I'm feeling like I have accomplished something and am very proud of myself!  I'm also enjoying the way I feel, the best I have in several years!  I'm also liking the fact that I now need SMALLER clothes and am no longer embarrassed of the sizes.

Robert31320

Coastal Georgia

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Dec 28, 2011 6:07 AM (in response to seb34)

After 10-20 minutes.... I'm glad I got out there!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...