Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1428 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2011 4:19 AM by MarcusB092
squilky Pro 91 posts since
Jul 18, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 2, 2011 2:33 PM

Gatorade Prime

I am training to run in my first 10k. I've been running 3.5 miles twice a week, and a longer run of 5-6 miles once a week. I was wondering if I would get any benefit from taking Gatorade Prime or a similar product before my longer run of 5-6 miles. Or is this distance too short to see much of a benefit?

MK

Couch to 5k completed: 7/15/2011

USPTO 5K 10/16/2011; 29:14 110/238

Bull Run Festival of Lights 5K 12/31/2011; 31:30 324/683

Primal Mud Run 4/14/2012; 1:29:29

Cody's Crew 5k 9/16/2012 31:15

• Terranss Legend 268 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    1. Nov 3, 2011 7:23 AM (in response to squilky)
    Gatorade Prime

Hi Squilky,

My suggestion to you is to go ahead and try the Gatorade Prime at least once, and see how it compares to running without it.  For me, I always take a caffeinated gel (GU octane) prior to any race, because the caffeine and sugar boost help me to get pumped up for the race.  On long training runs, however, I've stopped taking energy shots for any run less than 13 miles.  Greg McMillan of McMillan Running has an interesting article regarding long runs and fueling during these runs. http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/articlePages/article/2

Physiologically, as long as you're eating properly your muscles will definitely contain the glycogen energy required to get through 5-6 miles without any supplements.  But in the end, if you feel that taking Gatorade Prime, or a gel, or whatever, helps your performance and keeps you going strong throughout your runs, then you should do it!

Good luck, and let us know what your experience is!

• MarcusB092 Amateur 75 posts since
    Jul 28, 2007
    2. Nov 6, 2011 4:19 AM (in response to squilky)
    Gatorade Prime

Get a rash and get a precription for steriods that make the rash go away then youll see a hell of a difference LOL

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...