Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1114 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Nov 5, 2011 5:25 AM by MarcusB092
hughe124 Rookie 2 posts since
Oct 6, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 3, 2011 9:19 AM

Weird Calf feeling.

I have been running for 2 years now, and have ran/completed a handful of half marathons!  My goal for 2012 is to run a full marathon!  I have been training and doing great because I am suppose to run a half in a few weeks now, and all of a sudden, my calf's are wicked sore.  I will start running and for the first 3 miles my calf's feel like they are stretching too much?  The sensation is weird to describe, its not like a Charlie horse feeling, its more like a pull but it is really uncomfortable.  It usually goes away after mile 4, and I am running 7 to 10 miles at a time.  This has never happened to me before, so my question is do I just need to increase my water intake?  Stretch my calf's more?  Increase my potassium and electrolytes intake?  Has this happened to a lot of you avid runners? And if so, what did you do to make it go away and stop?!  Any advice and comments would be greatly appreciated!

• MarcusB092 Amateur 75 posts since
    Jul 28, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Nov 5, 2011 5:25 AM (in response to hughe124)
    Weird Calf feeling.

Maybe Go to the doctor!  Have you had and recent surgerys within that time frame? You your doctor  need to figure out if it is your vein or muscles or what. If its your veins you are in trouble but not to much trouble they should help you. 

You did not detail as to how  or when this happened so I cant make a great guess but talk to your doctor if its  bothering you for a extended time.. I see your a woman so perhaps you were pregnant and your circulation was affected by it in your legs....(just a guess). Hopefully your just over stretching your muscles or something little and not a blood clot.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points