Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2354 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2011 10:13 AM by NzAndy
troopertribe Rookie 4 posts since
Nov 1, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 1, 2011 9:39 AM

Feeling frustrated

Hi all,

I'm in my 5th week on the schedule and seem to be stuck. One of the biggest problems I had with starting running was the difficulty in breathing! I would run that first 2 min. back in week one and feel like I was having an asthma attack! Things have gotten much better over the next few weeks and the breathing is getting easier. However, I'm in week 5, and I feel like I am regressing for some reason. I can't get past this week and having difficulty breathing again. I get to about 7 and a half minutes and feel like i'm going to die! LOL. Any help would be so much appreciated or just some encouragement to keep going! Thanks!

p.s. I don't have a cold or anything that may make the breathing harder either.

Nicole

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    1. Nov 1, 2011 9:45 AM (in response to troopertribe)
    Feeling frustrated

Cut back your speed.

• az lee Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Nov 1, 2011 11:44 AM (in response to troopertribe)
    Feeling frustrated

Try walking when you feel like you can't breathe then run again whenyou get your breath. If you can hang on for 20 minutes it will probably go away. I had the same problem and this worked for me. It's better than giving up. Good luck.

• Mikala_SF Pro 87 posts since
    Apr 14, 2008
    3. Nov 1, 2011 11:56 AM (in response to troopertribe)
    Re: Feeling frustrated

For me Week 5 was a sort of turning point.  It started a "harder" period that didn't get much better until Week 7 or so.  Maybe consider slowing down?  I was able to run faster until Week 5 and in order to continue on I had to slow my pace.  I'm still not back to my pre-week 5 pace but I'm more focused on continuing than on my pace, which is what people here often recommend.

My weight loss blog, pictures, etc (started in 2007):

http://diaryofanaspiringloser.blogspot.com

• NzAndy Pro 77 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010
    5. Nov 1, 2011 1:10 PM (in response to troopertribe)
    Feeling frustrated

Nicole, the best thing is to stick with it but do it in a way that works.  Don't force a bad situation.

You haven't said what your program or goal is so I'm going to guess that based on your statement of 7.5 minutes is about your current limit I'll give some starting runner ideas that have helped me.

• do short intervals.  Run for 2 minutes at your 7 minute pace, then walk for 30 seconds and repeat.  This will allow your heart rate to recover some and help you adapt to the higher effort level.
    • Break the run into 2 equal intervals.  Add the 30 second break in the middle and allow for warm up and cool down walking/slow running too.  I use a 2x20 minute interval as the bread and butter of my endurance workouts but you can use any time frame that suits you. 
    • Keep the rest period short.  Once your heart rate lowers back to your warm up level you're done and any more rest time won't help.  You can do this without a heart rate monitor, usually 30 to 45 seconds is enough.
    • Patience, Grasshopper!    It takes time for you to adapt to the demands of a sport and you can't expect everything to fall into place in 4 to 8 weeks.  I'm assuming you haven't been doing lots of running before starting this program so be prepared to adapt the program to fit how you're responding to it.  The good news is that this will build on itself, so the more you do the better you will get and the easier it will become.
    • Don't overtrain.  Your program probably gives you time off between workouts, or at least it should.  I take every 3rd or 4th weekend easy when I'm training for an event.  Otherwise I end up exhausted, grumpy (according to my wife), and more likely to get sick because my immune system is run down too.  Because you're on the 5th week I thought I'd highlight this possibility.  Currently I take 2 days off between most runs, more if it's a long one, just to allow plenty of time to recover.

Hopefully this is some helpful info.  I've deliberately left out distances because they're trivial and it's all about time and effort.  If you could add more about what you're doing and what your goal is it would help to get more specific advice from everyone.  The short answer though, as previously stated, is to carry on through it doing what you can.

Andy

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,424 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    6. Nov 1, 2011 1:45 PM (in response to troopertribe)
    Feeling frustrated

troopertribe wrote:

Thanks so much for all the replies. I'm currently running at 5.0 on the treadmill. How much should I cut back in speed without taking "2 steps backward" so to speak?

Try 4.7 or maybe 4.8.  5.0 is a 12 minute mile, 4.8 is 12:30.  30 seconds per mile slower may be enough to get you through without having breathing problems.

Len

Len

• seb34 Expert 58 posts since
    Mar 24, 2011
    7. Nov 1, 2011 1:57 PM (in response to troopertribe)
    Feeling frustrated

hey, based on my experience, you might want to try slowing down.  i completed c25k in May, and have recently (3-4 weeks ago) gone back and started over - this time my "running" pace is 5.0 mph (when i first started it was 4.5).  i am finding that since i've built up a good base fitness level, it's been much more do-able to go faster.

so give your body time to get used to running, and know that you can always go back and train to go faster

sarah in pa

candy cane 5k, 12/8/12 36:25

historic bethelehem turkey trot, 11/24/12 37:18

turning point 5k, 10/6/12 38:38

run wild at the lehigh valley zoo 5k, 8/19/12 40:38

2012 first night resolution run 5k, 12/31/11, 37:15

children's miracle network turkey trot, 11/19/11, 35:15

haven of hope 5k, 11/5/11, 37:53

steps to safety 5k, 9/18/11, 40:03

first 5k, sue crowe memorial 5k: 7/17/11, 42:38

goal: fun!

• CarlV_NYC Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 1, 2011
    8. Nov 1, 2011 2:48 PM (in response to troopertribe)
    Feeling frustrated

troopertribe wrote:

Thanks so much for all the replies. I'm currently running at 5.0 on the treadmill. How much should I cut back in speed without taking "2 steps backward" so to speak?

Cut it back so you can do the distance without having trouble breathing.  If that means going down to 3.0, that's what you need to do.  Having trouble breathing indicates that you are running too fast for your current level of fitness.  You will be able to run at 5mph, but your body is not ready yet.

Is there any chance you can do your running outside or on an indoor track?  It is MUCH easier to find "the right" running pace just by using your legs on the pavement, rather than having to push a button on the treadmill and trying to decide if your body feels good at that pace.

• ladybugs65 Rookie 8 posts since
    Feb 19, 2008
    9. Nov 1, 2011 6:42 PM (in response to troopertribe)
    Re: Feeling frustrated

Hi Nicole,

I think this is my first post here!

As others have said - allow yourself to go slower.

For me, W4 was the toughest. The 5 min really hurt and I felt quite discouraged. I had to really slow down on the 5 min in order to get through.

W5 seemed to turn around and every run I have done since I have felt stronger. I even ran my first 5k race on W7D3! I would have never thought I could get through that 3 weeks before.

I am running outside (have never ran on a treadmill) so it is easy for me to slow down without being discouraged as I have no idea how fast I am running.
    But you ARE running - even if it is "slow".

Keep it up - it gets easier!

ETA - actually not my 1st post - I posted 3 years ago when I only got through W2 . Ah well... hopefully it sticks this time!

• Mikala_SF Pro 87 posts since
    Apr 14, 2008
    11. Nov 1, 2011 9:50 PM (in response to troopertribe)
    Feeling frustrated

I was at 5.0 too!  So I cut back to 4.8 and that was totally doable.  If you have to cut back more, just go with what works.  You'll have plenty of time to work on pace later.  Now I'm doing intervals when I run on the treadmill to help with pacing for when I run outdoors.  A trainer gave me a 30 minute interval routine, and it also helps with the boredom on the treadmill. 

troopertribe wrote:

My weight loss blog, pictures, etc (started in 2007):

http://diaryofanaspiringloser.blogspot.com

• NzAndy Pro 77 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010
    13. Nov 3, 2011 10:13 AM (in response to troopertribe)
    Feeling frustrated

Excellent work!  Keep it up and you will be able to do all things before you know it.  Just stay within your limits and you'll be fine.  Remember that speed work and endurance work are separate workouts.  Doing both at the same time is really hard work and most people I know do either or on a given day. 

Andy

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points