Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

834 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2011 6:47 AM by PattyC014
RyenS Rookie 1 posts since
Nov 4, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 4, 2011 12:40 AM

Starting 11/4/11. Need advice.

I have an old pair of tennis shoes i'll be using for now. But I was looking for recomendations of brands that are fairly priced. Thank you in advance.

• Tdoc671 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 30, 2011
    1. Nov 4, 2011 2:22 AM (in response to RyenS)

The best advice I can give you is get fitted. Me and my wife did last weekend best choice I could have made the shoes feel great. The days of just picking the out because I like them is over.

• faithintx Legend 250 posts since
    Jun 16, 2010
    2. Nov 4, 2011 9:48 AM (in response to RyenS)

I totally agree with the other person's suggestion to get fitted. I think most running shoes stores do this at no cost. When I started, I was wearing 8.5 Nike cross trainers. After being fitted, I bought a size 10 Brooks Adrenaline. Best investment I ever made.

Why? To prevent injuries and make sure you have the proper support for the way your foot rolls (or doesn't roll). I had no knee pain, no shin splints, no pain at all. The $100 for the shoe is WORTH IT! And I didn't have the $100! But doctor bills and pain are worse!

They have you run either on a treadmill or just up the aisle. They are trained to see what type of shoe will support you the best. I'm so serious - this is my third time starting this program (moving, nursing school aborted my other times). Every board I participate in has the same story. People skimp on shoes. They end up complaining about their knees, ankles, shin splints. I'm not a medical professional, but I am just sharing the stories I've seen. And my experience.

I'm sure some people can get by without getting fitted. But, in my opinion (since you asked), it is well worth the investment!

Best wishes! I'm just starting too...so maybe I'll see ya on the boards.

Completed - W3D3

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't.....either way, you're right.

Do what is unnatural, until it becomes natural.

Medical fact - if you don't use it, you'll lose it.

• offmycouch Pro 70 posts since
    Jun 22, 2011
    3. Nov 4, 2011 12:12 PM (in response to RyenS)

The right shoes are so worth it!!   I started C25K back in June using an old pair of tennis shoes with the thought in mind that if I can get thru the first week or so and I am still doing it, I will invest in a new pair of running shoes.  That was a BIG mistake.  On day 2 of the first week (yes, day 2 of week 1) I injured my knee.  Thinking it wasn't a big deal since I hadn't really 'done' anything to it (besides jog), I finished my route and went home.  After not being able to put any weight on my leg for 3 days and limping around for 2 weeks, I broke down and went to a doctor specializing in sports medicine. 

What I had was pes anserine bursitis.  Very painful.    Doc sent me to a physical therapist who immediately told me to get fitted for a pair of good running shoes (she laughed at the tennis shoes that I wore....and here I thought they were good running shoes!)  She told me that you can only run on the shoes for so many miles before they break down and cause injury.

My injury was caused by the wrong/bad shoes and running up and down hills.  I learned the hard way (6 weeks of PT) so please, please, get yourself fitted for a good pair of shoes!!   I ended up getting a pair of New Balance (can't recall the model number) and I love them.  But I also loved the other 6 pairs I tried on!  My physical therapist gave me a list of shoes that are proper for my feet and running style.  Good luck ~

Kris

• 6xchampsfan Pro 184 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011
    4. Nov 4, 2011 2:04 PM (in response to RyenS)
    Re: Starting 11/4/11. Need advice.

Excellent advice here. Wearing the correct shoes are huge. Don't get your running shoes off the shelves at walmart. Going to a store that knows running shoes are run by people who are also runners or have the means to fit you properly. Knowing things like your running shoes are uaually a size larger than you normally wear and how your feet land and much more. As others here has said it will save you money, time and most inportant injuries in the end. I personally don't wear shoes pass 200 miles. This may seem extreme to some but I like to keep my shoes at their best.  Everyone has their favorite brands ( my are Saucony) but its more inportant to get the right kind and you will find your brand eventually. Happy running... just don't do it in tennis shoes.

• PattyC014 Amateur 34 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Nov 7, 2011 6:47 AM (in response to RyenS)

It's so easy to think that, since we're beginner runners, we don't need expensive shoes yet.  If you think about it, shoes are really the only equipment we need to purchase.  Don't underestimate the amount of impact that your body absorbs by running.  The correct shoes for your gate will have a huge impact on preventing injuries to your knees and back. 

I started out with regular tennis shoes also, and paid for it with injuries.  I got fitted at a running store in Princeton, and got the most comfortable shoes.  Now, I always get the same shoe, and am able to order them through catalogs (Nike Air Pegasus).  I also log my miles and usually get new shoes (and insoles) at around 300 miles.

~~PattyC

After a few years off, starting over with the C25K on 10/17/2011.

1/1/2012 - Resolution Run 5K

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...