Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

916 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 4, 2011 4:16 PM by Kristy in NC RSS
Kristy in NC Pro 134 posts since
Feb 14, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 30, 2011 6:05 AM

Patellar tendonitis

After a fall injury 6 months ago in which I landed on a concrete paver onto my knee, I've had continued knee tenderness to touch and much soreness after runs and pain going up steps and squatting.   Finally went to MD, got xray and diagnosis of patellar tendonitis.  He told me it would take at least 6-8 months to resolve.  I ice after each run and take motrin, but this thing still wakes me up at night hurting.  No swelling, just pain.  I warm up pre run, and stretch post run.  I had begun strengthening excercises for my legs, however was concerned that I would further damage the tendon.   Would a knee strap be of any benefit?  Any other suggestions?

Kristy in NC

3/12/11 - St. Patricks Day 5K - First 5K - 43 min

7/4/11 - Peachtree Road Race - 1hr 30 min

9/2/11 - BB&T Sunset 5K - 40:48

10/22/11 - Rocktoberfest 5K - 38:53

11/5/11 - CommYOUnity 5K - 37:22

11/24/11 - Butterball 5K - 37:03

3/25/12 - Charlotte Motor Speedway 5K - 34:21

• Steit02 Amateur 10 posts since
    Nov 4, 2011
    1. Nov 4, 2011 11:46 AM (in response to Kristy in NC)
    Patellar tendonitis

check out vms-one.com! Serious life saver for me. Can really help with all types of problems.

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,160 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    2. Nov 4, 2011 12:13 PM (in response to Kristy in NC)
    Patellar tendonitis

A knee strap is sometimes helpful in cases that involve instability of the knee cap, but I don't think there is any benefit for what may have been patellar tendonitis. The tendon is still going to be pulled with the same pressure by activity. You say there is no swelling, but if you are using ice you seem to expect inflammation to be present, and are attempting to control it. Any ongoing inflammation may be due in part to continued exercise, but could also be an indication that this injury has not healed. While inflammation is painful, it is unfortunately the healing process itself. Using things like ice and medications to control the inflammation may be counterproductive in that case, because by nature they slow this healing mechanism. Have you tried heat, from infrared, sunlight, or other sources?

Sometimes joints do not recover well from traumatic injuries such as you describe. They cannot always be "worked out" by activity or therapy, and sometimes involve the build-up of scar tissue that leads to persistent irritation in the joint. There may also be calcium deposits or other obstructions, or pre-arthritic changes that result in chronic pain.

While the doctor estimated recovery time, I'm not sure if the prognosis allowed for continued aerobic or repetitive motion activity. Some injuries take years for the body to forget, and may involve adaptations or compensations you may have made to your running form that produce pain in the area from another source, including your quads, which can refer pain to the knee. Focus on relaxing all of the support muscles, since other activities are tightening them up, possibly continuing to stress the patellar tendon even while you are at rest, or involved in lighter activities.

Some foam-rolling or massage of the quads might relieve tension on them enough to allow better recovery while you are at rest. While exercise may indeed strengthen your quads, making them tighter this way may simply increase your pain, and further slow your recovery.

One strategy that is likely to help is to avoid inflammatory foods, such as simple sugars and starches, fried foods, or too many omega 6 oils. Lower glycemic foods, omega 3 oils, and certain spices like turmeric and ginger show a beneficial effect on inflammation due to repetitive-motion injuries.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points