Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1012 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2011 7:57 AM by lenzlaw
dave5872 Rookie 6 posts since
Jul 10, 2003
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 11, 2011 2:38 PM

Help for a distance runner who wants to run a 5k

All,

I have been an endurance type runner for a number of years. I usually run between 60-70 miles per week, mostly slow miles. Recently, a group of guys I run with all ran a big 5k and I felt kind of left out and am now starting to think about doing some shorter distance races. The fastest of the group is low 18s, there are a couple in the 21-22 range, and the rest are 25-26s. I decided to do a little test on the treadmill (I know) to see where I might fit into the group and since I rarely run faster than my marathon pace (8:00 min/miles) I took a minute off the pace and tried for 7:00mms hoping to be as fast as the second two. I ran 2 miles at this pace and still felt good, so I took a minute off the pace and then ran 2 six minute miles. Now I am starting to wonder if the fastest guy is within reach. I usually don't enjoy running fast, so I am still undecided if I want to do what it would take to get down into the low 18s to catch him. Does anybody care to guess how much speedwork I would have to do to get there? Is it doable with 6 months or less of training? I am really pretty ignorant about speed work, haha. BTW, I am a 38 year old male.

• Chase Kerlin Expert 39 posts since
    Apr 20, 2008
    1. Apr 11, 2011 3:10 PM (in response to dave5872)
    Re: Help for a distance runner who wants to run a 5k

u can do anything in 6 months bud. if u r that clost with little speed training u can def get there. do not do more than 2 speed workouts per week or u increase risk of injury. u can also do tempo runs to add variety.  check my website at eliterunnersworld.com for great sprint workouts. hope u win!

Visit my website http://www.eliterunnersworld.com for the latest in gear, workouts, and injury advice all for free!

• MarcusB092 Amateur 75 posts since
    Jul 28, 2007
    2. Nov 5, 2011 5:39 AM (in response to dave5872)

60 - 70 miles a week.. Thats good milage you should be pretty amped and be able to go under 18 easily.  Your in a good position to do very well (if you are really running that much every week and not just in 1 week). Yes you will do it in less than 6 months. You can do any intervals you want really just cut back some miles and do intervals. And be careful not to wear out your marathon crusing pace when you do do interval training. 

No specific advise is the best advice I think for you. Don't set your training in stone and do exactly what people tell you to on here but listen to some good recommendations on here and use it as a learning tool.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,415 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Nov 5, 2011 7:57 AM (in response to dave5872)

Sure sounds like you can do it, and 6 months should be plenty of time.  Expand your running horizons - short races are lots of fun - the reward comes sooner!  I also remember seeing a recent article in Running Times recommending shorter intervals as beneficial for marathon runners.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points