Skip navigation

1807 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 23, 2011 5:12 PM by aggie23 RSS
aggie23 Rookie 4 posts since
Oct 29, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 29, 2011 4:35 PM

Recruiting Questions for Baseball

My son has received calls from D2 and D3 schools and made visits to some of them.  Out of the blue a D2 NSIC school called, my son has never spoke to the coach before but he indicated he had seen my son play at a tournament and wanted to set up an "official" visit.  While he is really interested in the school, it caught us off guard and we were surprised he was offered an official visit without ever speaking to the coach before.  I guess here are my questions:

1.  Is this normal, being offered an official visit on the first call?

2. Does this mean the school is really interested in recruiting him or is he just on their radar screen?

3. What are the chances he will be offered a partial scholarship? 

4.  How many official visits can a school have or is it unlimited how many "official" visits they can offer players they are recruiting?  Is it possible they are offering 50 official visits to different kids just to get them in the door? I know my son can only have 5 total.

• Dusty__11 Amateur 16 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    1. Oct 31, 2011 8:01 AM (in response to aggie23)
    Re: Recruiting Questions for Baseball

Your Lucky. My son plays for OU but he started out as a Senior in HS with no place to play except as a walkon at a Jr College. But he was a position player from a small school. If your son is a Pitcher he will probably be offered a scholarship by one of these schools. First pitchers go then catchers and then position players. Our son was offered a scholarship by a D2 school but we waited and sure enough D1s came calling. We never were offered an "Offical" visit but we did like the JC experience. We even went to the JC World Series one year. I can't tell you how important a role the coaches played. Only one school actually saw him play. ( other schools contacted him and they all tlked to his coach)

I'd say if you only get 5 "official" visits I'd be stingy with where I used them.

If a school offers him a visit I'd say they aren't in the business of wasting time and they want him. They are interested in High Character guys the most. Someone they think can "Add" something to their program besides talent.

• GuerrillaHitting Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 30, 2011
    2. Nov 3, 2011 9:41 PM (in response to aggie23)

Give me a call.  I have some more questions.   951-490-1435 Coach James

• TG. Legend 954 posts since
    Jul 25, 2007
    5. Nov 15, 2011 4:59 PM (in response to aggie23)

You should have done more research before visiting. There's a limit to official campus visits. You've burned one. The best place for recruiting advice is hsbaseballweb.com

TG

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points