Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

627 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2011 9:58 AM by SJRUN RSS
TakingRoots Amateur 14 posts since
Oct 21, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 8, 2011 7:24 AM

Injury question!! Please help!

I have been doing c25k for 3 weeks now, I'm currently on w3d2. On my last run, last Friday, I started to have a sharp painful pain in my left knee, I finished the entire 30 workout hoping the pain would subside, thinking it might just be tight, well it's Tuesday and the pain as gotten to where if I turn on my knee it hurts, it even hurts when I walk. M really upset and worried I have just started running and I don't want my dream to end before it even begins :( please someone help with info, what to do ( I have been icing it all weekend) and I'm suppose to workout at 530 today, what should I do?! How can I fix my knee or at least get through the pain.

Quotes from fellow runners:

Running won't kill you. You will pass out first. ~ Edhodge

No matter how slow you are; you are faster than anyone sitting on a couch. ~ Slowskinnyrunner

C25k Beginning: 10/20/11 (20 has always been my lucky number!!)

C25k Finish: Soon!!

First 5k: New Years Double 12/31/11

• djbrund Amateur 12 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    1. Nov 8, 2011 9:19 AM (in response to TakingRoots)

I wouldn't run on that knee.  Maybe once it doesn't hurt, you might try just walking for 30 minutes first.  If it doesn't hurt, then resume....maybe going back to week 2 or the beginning of week 3.  Don't let this kill your dreams.  It is a setback, that's all. And, I think it's kind of normal....

• SJRUN Expert 55 posts since
    May 3, 2011
    2. Nov 8, 2011 9:58 AM (in response to TakingRoots)

Others on this site have advised that knowing the difference between an ache and an injury is important:  An ache may develop while you run and then subside, while an injury hangs on, grows worse and continues after your run.

It's generally good advice to not run on on an injury, and what you have sounds like it needs time to heal.  Don't worry, it will definitely get better with Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation (RICE).  I sometimes use NSAIDs like Advil, and  something topical like Arnica.  But you should see a doctor before taking any meds of any kind - over the counter or otherwise.

Another thing to think about is whether you've ever had knee injuries in your past, or injuries to the muscles/tendons/ligaments that affect your knee.  It could be an old injury resurfacing, in which case a doctors visit might also be in order.

The most common knee issues for runners seem to be inflammation of muscles and connective tissue (tendons and ligaments) due to repetitive stress.  Repetitive stress is how you build endurance but it's also how you can get injured.  If you have insufficient blood flow to these structures they become ischemic and more prone to tearing and damage.  When your body sends blood to the damaged area to help it heal it becomes inflamed and tender and that point the repeated bout will cause pain.

Meniscal tears are less common but can happen sometimes with severe pounding, with the same outcome.

So not much to do but wait it out and start in again when you feel better.  In the meantime, stretching and low-impact activity - like eliptical training or swimming - can help you keep your fitness.

Hang in there....it's all part of the scene.  You'll be back on the road soon.

"If you think you will fail or that you will succeed, you'll be right."

Recent and Upcoming Races:

New York NY - ING NY Marathon, Nov. 6, 2011 - Finish time 4:53:24

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points