Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1390 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2011 7:07 AM by HelenM2002 RSS
susanrn1019 Rookie 2 posts since
Nov 5, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 25, 2011 1:45 PM

Did my first HM....what about those problems?

Did the Myrtle beach mini this past Sunday...first time HM in a little over 2:30. No one had warned me about the issues after the race.  The leg pains where so bad....any one ever try the pickle juice to reduce aches?  The other issue was that I was unable to urinate for well over 8 hours, I was well hydrated before the race and carried power aid with me and drank the gateraid at the stops and had plenty of water after the race,  any thoughts on how to avoid this?  Never ran into any of these issues while training!

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    1. Oct 25, 2011 5:08 PM (in response to susanrn1019)

Susanrn1019 I'm no expert but it appears you did not give your body ALL the needed nutrition. Checkout www.Hammernutrition.com it's full of great info. I use to have sore muscles after long runs and tempo runs. I started drinking Hammers Recoverite immediately afterwards. Giving my muscles all they needed. It minimize sorenes, helps rebuild muscle tissue and most importantly restores muscle glycogen. Soreness is now never an issue. During Long runs and races I drink Hammer Perpetuem for my prerace meal (270 calories)It gives you stable long term engery. 15minutes prior to start I Hammer gel pack 90 calories all natural engery fuel (repeat every 45minutes) at the finish line i drink Recoverite. Two hours later a laate light breakfast. My training and times are getting better and better since someone introduced me to proper race nutrition. Sunday I'm running my third half marathon. My second properly fueled. I expect to shave another 8 minutes off my Septembers time. I sound like a Hammer salesperson but just wanted to share the difference it made for me. Good Luck

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

Feb 27, 2011
    3. Oct 25, 2011 6:10 PM (in response to susanrn1019)

Susanrn1019 I met someone who runs Ironman Tri's in August. Four weeks prior to me running Va Rock n Roll Half Marathon.  He shared Hammer product info with me. I tried them. They immediately made a difference. I couldn't believe the difference between my Nashville HM and Va. In Nashville i was sore for a week. Did not run for 2 wks. In Va I actually enjoyed the race , paid attention to the bands,ETC ETC after the race I put on a pair of recovery socks, drank recoverite, went to hotel took a shower and never looked back. I started slow easy runs on Wed (3 days later) Along with proper training Nutrition is they key for sure. I'll post my results on my upcoming Sunday Half Marathon. Let me know how you feel two weeks after trying Recoverite after every run and Gel on long runs. I work with many athlete's way above my current level. ALL swear by Hammer Nutrition .

2011 Races:

Half Marathon Results

• geekgirl707 Amateur 14 posts since
    Aug 23, 2010
    4. Oct 26, 2011 3:32 PM (in response to Webpro11)

Have to agree with the Hammer products being awesome!  I steal my husband's stuff he uses for cycling for long runs/halfs and they work great.

Also- I used to get leg cramps/toe cramps at night.  Someone mentioned taking Emergen-C after runs as a recovery drink as well- as it contains electrolytes and potassium.  I haven't had any cramping since I've tried it.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    5. Oct 27, 2011 12:25 PM (in response to geekgirl707)

Hammer products are good, but the best recovery drink you can have is chocolate milk.  Nutrition is important not sure the brand is, I use Athletes Honey Milk for my recovery drinks.  Important thing is to get a recovery drink in before 1 hour the drink should be about 4:1 carbs to Protein.  Find what works best for you on your budget!   I don't pee for 2-4 hours after a marathon 8 hours seems like a lot.  As far as soreness the harder you run the sorer you will be.  Hills, wx ext play a lot in that also not just up hills but down hills also.   Big difference between Nashville and VA beach!!!!!!  I just ran a 20 min PR in  marathon in the best shape of my life proper nutrition and was the soreest I have ever been, you use your muscle different when running faster, that is why you get sore on a good speed workout.  Best wishes to all!

Feb 27, 2011
    6. Oct 31, 2011 5:56 PM (in response to Webpro11)

I did it . With NE 20mph head winds for the first six miles. A PR 2:18:22 Florida Halloween 13.1 Halfathron . Ten minutes quicker than I ran Rock n Roll Va Beach Half Marathon on Sept 4th. The best part about it is I feel better than ever. Thank You Hammer Nutrition. Can't wait until Disney in Jan.

2011 Races:

Half Marathon Results

• Steit02 Amateur 10 posts since
    Nov 4, 2011
    7. Nov 8, 2011 10:22 AM (in response to Webpro11)

Look into these bro. Helps greatly with leg and foot fatigue. Making you hit the ground with an even foundation and prevents injury. I live by these. VMS-ONE.com

• HelenM2002 Pro 153 posts since
    Jul 17, 2009
    8. Nov 14, 2011 7:07 AM (in response to susanrn1019)

I just did my first HM yesterday. I ended up run/walking it because I hadn't gotten enough training in so my time was about 30 minutes slower than yours. I was astounded by how much my legs and feet hurt afterwards! I took 4 Advil last night and iced my legs (hamstrings, quads, calves, shins and toes), and am feeling much better today. I drank at every water station, plus had my own water throughout the race. Since I can't eat or drink before I run, I brought a protein shake with me, made with protein powder, almond milk (I'm lactose sensitive), berries and bananas. I had that within 30 minutes of finishing the race. A few hours later, I had another berry/banana smoothie, since I am prone to charley horses. I think the combination of icing and the fluids helped the leg cramps.

Fortunately, I did not have any problems with urination. However, I drank a lot of water and cranberry juice and even cranberry pills leading up to the race (I was dealing with other problems during the week, so the cranberry was to combat those).

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points