Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6145 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2013 1:35 PM by gilbertholdings RSS 1 2 Previous Next
525Jerm Amateur 25 posts since
Apr 24, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 25, 2011 5:00 PM

Solo's not so bad.

I know there's countless benefits to running with a club. Accountability, comraderie, sag wagon. But I think going solo has gotten a bad reputation. No one to flake on you. Nobody to complicate the plans. Don't get me wrong, I can't say enough about my friends. But there's a feeling you get when all you have is your steps, your breath, and heart. No distractions... Only you and the simple raw process of running. You balance pain and elation, love and hate. This is where social status has no weight. You're no longer a cog in the machine... No, not now. You are a runner. And when I'm running... I am the king of my road. I make the pain my friend; he will always be there. Think I'm in a bit of a slump. I'm going to grab my 890's and and see how far that road goes.

• nowirun4fun Legend 208 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    1. Oct 27, 2011 6:46 AM (in response to 525Jerm)
    Solo's not so bad.

I'm with you - whatever floats your boat is best.  I can't imagine trying to work other people into my workouts.  I'm so damn moody and unpredictable, I hate to imagine bringing some poor person who's just out for a little self-improvement into that world of mine...it isn't always happy time, that's for damn sure.

Are you just being paid to post to advertise the 890s?

• nowirun4fun Legend 208 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    3. Oct 30, 2011 4:19 PM (in response to 525Jerm)
    Solo's not so bad.

That Boston race remains the only race I've ever stopped and walked.  I really have no idea how I did those two marathons.  I chalk it up to just being a stupid kid that had no idea what I was doing.  Kind of like the old bumblebee thing - it's been proven they can't fly based on the shape of their anatomy but they don't know that so they just go ahead and do it.

The Green Day quote seems to sum up my love/hate relationship with running.  It's been a hell of a ride.

Good luck getting out of the slump.  I find myself there more than I like, but I think I'm learning how to keep them to a minimum.  We'll see about that, the next time I'm in one .  Currently training to try to BQ again, and that has reinvigorated me.

• blazingasian Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 9, 2010
    4. Nov 9, 2011 5:10 AM (in response to 525Jerm)
    Solo's not so bad.

i use to run with another person.  but after several times when that person wouldnt show up and left me waiting, ive decided to run by myself.  I feel i can run when i want, for whatever distance i want without worrying about the next person.  Besides, i think running is an individual sport.  Your challenging yourself on what you can accomplish.  Ive ran with some people during races, maybe at the start, but we break off eventually and run our own races.

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    5. Nov 9, 2011 5:53 AM (in response to 525Jerm)
    Solo's not so bad.

I've never really run with other people... I've ridden to races with others but once we're on the course it's everyone for themselves since we were all at different fitness levels.  All of my weekly runs are solo.

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• Robert31320 Amateur 17 posts since
    Nov 19, 2010
    6. Nov 9, 2011 11:05 AM (in response to 525Jerm)
    Solo's not so bad.

I've only been running a very short time.  To date it has been 100% solo.  I run before everyone at home wakes up and before I go to work.  It's my peace time. 

Besides, I don't want to hold anyone back with my slow pace.

Robert31320

Coastal Georgia

• 6xchampsfan Pro 184 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011
    7. Nov 9, 2011 6:00 PM (in response to 525Jerm)
    Solo's not so bad.

I ran with a friend for the first 10 years up until last year when she quit running for various reasons.We did nearly all our running together including races. I really enjoyed her company and she was a girls crosscountry coach at a local college so I always had others to run with and I learned alot. All that being said since I've been running myself I think I like it better. I have an easier time getting my runs in not having to work around others schedules and it doesn't take nearly as long with all the unrelated things.I also found I can run the distance and pace I need for the time easier. She still is a great friend but I probably will stay solo if/when she decides to return. I'll keep running with others for race day.

• Golden Tips Expert 39 posts since
    May 29, 2011
    8. Nov 11, 2011 1:38 AM (in response to 525Jerm)
    Solo's not so bad.

Running alone is the only method I know. I have never been out for a run with anyone other than my cat. For me running is an individual sport and I am constantly competing against myself to make small improvements.

However, when my running improves, I would like to join a running club for an occassional group run. Of course, I need to find a slow runners group so that I won't be too stressed about keeping up with the others.

February 17, 2012 Abu Dhabi Terry Fox Run (8.5K) (Abu Dhabi, UAE) - 48.24

September 3, 2011: 5K Race Against the Reds (Fredericton,Canada) – 33.51

August 1, 2011: NB Day 5K (Chipman, Canada) – 36.58

Bloghttp://ruralrouterunner.wordpress.com/

• protometal Pro 124 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    9. Nov 11, 2011 7:04 AM (in response to Golden Tips)
    Solo's not so bad.

I enjoy running solo, but I do like running with groups as a change-of-pace. The best thing about running solo is, as mentioned, you don't need to rely on anyone else and there is no need to coordinate schedules.

Golden Tipps: Your cat will run with you? I've had neighborhood cats follow me for a bit to try to get attention or food, but I would love to see a cat running partner!

Protometal

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"-- Henry Ford

Upcoming races: Super 5k 2/3/13

Select Recent Results: Brooksie Way Half Marathon - 1:49:09 (Half Marathon PR), Open Door Julie Run 5k - 22:16 (2nd place age group, PR)

Check out my Running Blog: http://clippinalong.blogspot.com .

• Golden Tips Expert 39 posts since
    May 29, 2011
    10. Nov 17, 2011 9:31 PM (in response to protometal)
    Re: Solo's not so bad.

Photometal,

Golden Tipps was a stray cat that used to hang out in the woods near my house. Then I started feeding him and he started following me and I adopted him. In fact, he constantly follows me. So, I guess it was easy for me to get him to come jogging with me. BTW, he is pretty fast, much faster than me.

Golden Tipps (Lori)

Attachments:

February 17, 2012 Abu Dhabi Terry Fox Run (8.5K) (Abu Dhabi, UAE) - 48.24

September 3, 2011: 5K Race Against the Reds (Fredericton,Canada) – 33.51

August 1, 2011: NB Day 5K (Chipman, Canada) – 36.58

Bloghttp://ruralrouterunner.wordpress.com/

• Kimberly L. Hill Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 13, 2009
    11. Jan 24, 2013 10:37 AM (in response to 525Jerm)
    Re: Solo's not so bad.

I have running casually for about 3 years now.  I mean casually.  I probalby only log about 5-10 miles a week and run about 5-6 5ks a year.  I plan to run my first 10k in the spring.  I have never run with a group so I am not sure if I'd like it. I am not a person who likes to run and talk.  I know there are obvious perks about it as I see from my friends in California but for me right now running alone works for me.  I am a slow runner and run at my own pace and try to make small improvements for myself over time.  I might try a running group at some point but I realy enjoy running solo.  I turn on my ipod, get in the groove and just 'go away'.

• wackoconqueso Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 11, 2012
    12. Feb 5, 2013 9:03 AM (in response to 525Jerm)
    Solo's not so bad.

Solo is the only way to go for me. That's one of the many reasons I run: To be alone in my zone with no distractions. Without it, I think I'd go crazy.

• xc29min Amateur 15 posts since
    Dec 26, 2007
    13. Feb 6, 2013 9:38 PM (in response to 525Jerm)
    Solo's not so bad.

I agree, solo is not so bad.  I've been blessed to have the running experiences that I"ve had over the years.  I have fond memories of different xc school teams I've been a part of, and club runners I've run with.  After the college days I generally had a small circle of other runners I would run with from time to time.  And after that I had a good friend who I worked for for a while.  He (Tom) and I were running buddies for a long time.  These last 15 years I've done mostly solo running.  I still have that passion for running as I did when I was a teenager.  But its different now.  Solo running made me realize just how much I enjoy running still, for fun and for free.  Every once in a while I run with someone and that's cool.  I haven't done a 5k or 10k for a while I'm about due.

"Peace" Long May You Run

• runnathon Rookie 6 posts since
    Feb 22, 2013
    14. Mar 8, 2013 5:41 PM (in response to xc29min)
    Solo's not so bad.

Yes, it seems we're in the minority, but the solo run is a thing of beauty, of peace, and of convenience. A joy we can give ourselves whenever the mood dictates. Long may it reign!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...