Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2482 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2011 4:15 PM by DungeonLobster RSS
chickyfarmer Rookie 6 posts since
Jul 7, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 9, 2011 1:13 PM

How long does a total newbie need to train for a marathon?

In the past 6 years, I've lost four people close to me from cancer. My aunt is now terminal with cancer. To celebrate their lives and honor their deaths, I have decided to run a cancer-benefit marathon.

I'm an not a TOTAL newbie to running, but pretty much. Ten years ago I ran short distances fairly regularly (like... 2-3 miles). I am very prone to injury, extremely slow, and now weight about 10 pounds more. Also, I'm no spring chicken... I'm 37 years old.

I've looked at marathon training plans, and they all seem too aggressive for me. In the past, when I've tried the 10% rule, I always ended up injured (knee or stress fracture).

So... I want to pick a marathon in the future, but I want to give myself plenty of time to build back up base mileage, plus follow an easy (not aggressive) training plan. How far in advance do you think the race needs to be?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points