Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1260 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2011 10:45 PM by Run Tonis Run RSS
Guy Grim Pro 61 posts since
Nov 14, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 10, 2011 5:38 AM

Need Advice - Maybe some Encouragement,

I started running last last November and since then I have run a bunch of 5k's, 2 Half Marathons and my training took me to 13 miles on a couple of occasions.

In week 9 i was going to run 15 miles, but during the run I pulled my hamstring.  I was pretty much unable to run for 5 weeks.  I am now at week 15, of Hal Higdon's 18 week Novice 2 Program and I don't know if I can make up for the time that I lost.  I plan on running 12 miles this Saturday and 15 miles the following Saturday.  With 15 miles as my max run, Do I have a legitimate chance of being able to run the hole 26 miles? 

I am trying not to psych myself out of doing this marathon (Las Vegas on December 4th)

Thank you for your comments / advice. 

Training

656 Total Miles Since November 15, 2010 - 35 Miles YTD (1/20/12)

PR

5K - 27:46 (07/24/2011)

20K - 01:59:39 (09/05/2011)

13.1M - 02:08:58 (08/07/2011)

26.2M - TBD in 2012

Recent Races

Orange, CT - 5K Chilly Chili Run - Time of 29:07 - 1/1/2012

TeamGrimmy.com

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Nov 10, 2011 7:15 AM (in response to Guy Grim)
    Re: Need Advice - Maybe some Encouragement,

15 to 26 that is a long 11 miles, can you switch to the 1/2 or defer?  I would advise not running it, you could probably do it but it would not be fun!  Good luck Phillip

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    2. Nov 10, 2011 6:47 AM (in response to Guy Grim)

Personally I'd either switch to the half or PLAN on run-walking the full, with plenty of walking intervals!  You don't want to re-injure yourself.

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    4. Nov 10, 2011 9:44 AM (in response to Guy Grim)

Tough break Grim to lose 5 weeks of training in the meat of the training plan. No wonder we haven't seen you posting in a while.

I'm looking at your half-marathon and 20K times --- this suggests to be that a best case scenario has you finishing a full marathon at around 4:20

Having lost so many long runs it will be very difficult to hit that 4:20 mark

Also, doing the 15 mile long run on Nov 20 may help you mentally but will do little to help you physically on Dec 4. The rule of thumb is that it takes about 3 weeks of time before a run physically helps you --- thus, the typical 3 week taper time prior to the race.

Also, in regard to stretching --- I do absolutely no "cold" stretching. If I stretch at all I make sure I am well warmed up.

I certainly am not going to tell you to run or not run but you do have quite a challenge before you.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    5. Nov 10, 2011 9:11 AM (in response to skypilot77)

4:30 is a fairly quick time cut off for a marathon!   It's always easier to tell someone else not to run, I don't always follow my own advice!   Good luck.

• SJRUN Expert 55 posts since
    May 3, 2011
    6. Nov 10, 2011 10:20 AM (in response to Guy Grim)

Guy -

I think the 4:30 time limit is wrong.  I looked into this when I thought I might not be in shape to run my race last week, and I think it just has to do with the pacing of the marathon relative to the Half....notwithstanding what's on the website.  Part of the course is on the "strip" and part is not.  They close the streets on the part that is on the strip where you join with the half marathon, but the marathon starts like 2 1/2 hours before.  So it ends up you have something like 7 hours total to finish....so a run-walk tactic might work, and sounds more do-able.

you can call Rock n' Roll and they can explain it better.

Best of luck however you decide!

"If you think you will fail or that you will succeed, you'll be right."

Recent and Upcoming Races:

New York NY - ING NY Marathon, Nov. 6, 2011 - Finish time 4:53:24

• Run Tonis Run Amateur 14 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    7. Nov 10, 2011 10:45 PM (in response to Guy Grim)

I like your determination - way to go.

First about the hamstring. It's a common injury for runners, but it's possible to take care of it:

- Before the training - only dynamic stretching (warm-up exercises). Static stretching before the run correlates with increased injury risk.

- After the training or if necessasy as additional stretching workouts - static stretching.

- Core training and bodyweight exercises for strengthening your muscles and joints, also stabilising your spine and pelvis.

Try www.sportlyzer.com training planner - I use it and get visual manuals for all these exercises from there.

Now about racing. If you want to enjoy the race, take the half. If you want to accomplish your goal and finish a full marathon, you can also do it. But as others said run/walk might take some more time. Just make sure that you have enoght time for this. I would personally take a half, because if it's too hard you will feel like a hero, but are less likely to do it again. In terms of recreational sports I'd always prefer enjoyment and health to heroic deeds. This insures you long and regular running career.

I just talked to a scientist who had made a survey among recreational athletes and had found out that all regular and good level recreational athletes enjoy their exercising. At the same time those running for some shorter goals like losing weight or running their first marathon feel that it's hard. I think this might be the reason why many quit after achieving their goal and others keep doing it again and again. Eventually the latter are more successful, of course.

Open Air addict and hobby runner

Half Marathon 1:43 (Nov 6 '11)

Coached by a virtual coach at sportlyzer.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...