Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1834 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2011 5:13 PM by Urbster
Running Aficionado Pro 188 posts since
Jun 7, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 24, 2011 6:16 PM

Top 10 Questions of Running Beginners Series - How Long Should My First Runs Be?

Hello Runners!

I would like to start a thread series called "Top 10 Questions of Running Beginners". I would like to encourage everyone to share their thoughts, opinions, comments, techniques and best practices so we all can learn from each other.

Here's question No. 1 - How long should my first runs be?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Running Resource Worth Checking -  Running Training for 10K with Zero Injury

Marathon Running

• PaquetRunning Amateur 17 posts since
    Jul 24, 2011

I would say to start with intervals running that builds up the runner properly to be able to run during 5 Km at a low intensity.

I would 1st do this 6 weeks plan: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/six-week-beginner-5k-schedule/67.html

So basically, the very first run, should be somewhere between 2 and 3 Km.

Then, I would try to strenghten this 5 Km to be able to run it at a higher intensity.

For that, I would do this 6 weeks plan: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/six-week-intermediate-5k-schedule/72.html

Once the runner can properly run for a 5K. Then I would slowly increase till 10 Km.

Once these few months are past, I would say that the 'beginner' is not anymore a beginner and can increase the training regularly as the runner feels.

I would always suggest to follow a training plan that suits the goals (there should always be a goal) that are fixed.

• Run Tonis Run Amateur 14 posts since
    May 25, 2009

In my opinion 20 min (1min easy jog + 1min walking) twice a week is a pretty good start for those who have done nothing for a while.

Even if you have been doing gym/fitness regularly you should know that running raises your heartrate significantly in the beginning, but this is not what you want. The goal is to achieve the level where you can run all the way in aerobic zone (sweating but no hard breathing, can talk easily to a friend or whistle). Having a good aerobic base is very important - this is your fundament. From there on you can start building your speed.

I would also add some core training and bodyweight exercises to build strong posture and strengthen joints (here's on example, but this is just one exercise https://blog.sportlyzer.com/plank-the-godfather-of-core-training-exercises/).

Open Air addict and hobby runner

Half Marathon 1:43 (Nov 6 '11)

Coached by a virtual coach at sportlyzer.com

• Running4urlife Pro 72 posts since
    Oct 6, 2011

Well I started running in my mid-thirties.  All through my twenties and up to my mid-thirties I did aerobics.  I was always interested in running, but had - and still do have - a hard time breathing and keeping my heart rate decent doing high impact or high intensity activity.  I was very slow to pick up running but I just started by walk/jog/walk/jog.

It took me doing that for a month, with intervals of jogging a little more than walking and vice versa.  Once I got my confidence up that I could control my breathing and my heart by how intensely I ran, I started enjoying the runs more.  In about 2 - 3 months time I was able to run/jog page (11mm) without walking.  I soon was able to run 3 - 4 miles daily and one 5-7 mile run every Saturday.

I did that for several years until I found out I have a heart condition (leaking valves).  Had to stop for about 8 years. During that time I continued to do low impact aerobics but no running.

Just picked my running back up last September (2010).  Knowing a bit more about how to pace myself, it didn't take as long to get back into a decent run routine.  Now I'm running 3-5 miles a day at about a 10 - 11 mm.

I'm never going to be a marthoner or be the first to cross the finish line, but that's ok...that's not my goal. 

Run because you enjoy it, run because you want to be healthy...run for your life....good luck all !!!!

COMPLETED RACES

2010 - Hot Chocolate 5k/15k ---47:24 (walked...first race in 10 years!)

2011 - Hot Chocolate 5k/15k ---- 33:53

2012 - St. Paddy's Day 8k/5k Run....58:59....FIRST 8K!

2012 - Tiger 5k Speedway Racetrack....35:38

2012 - Short Run on a Long Day 5k in Frankfort....34:43

2012 - Fort2Base - 3 Nautical Mile (3.45 miles).....36:44

2012 - Hot Chocolate 5k/15k.....31:46...PR!!

2013 - Mar - St. Paddy's Day 5k/8k Run...34.26

2013 - Apr - Tiger 5k Speedway Racetrack...34:36...2nd place in my "old age" group

2013 - May - Solider Field 10 Miler...2:01:26

2013 - June - Chicago Color Run (not timed)

2013 - June - Women's Chicago 1/2 Marathon....2:43:04

• Run Tonis Run Amateur 14 posts since
    May 25, 2009

@Running4urlife <"but had - and still do have - a hard time breathing and keeping my heart rate decent">

You have to be persistent for a while to do really low intensity workouts (so that you can easily breathe through your nose) and mix in some intervals that get you used to faster pace. This will build your aerobic pace and develop heart beat volume. If you always run a bit harder your body gets mixed signals about what you are trying to achieve and will never build a decent base for jumping to the next level. I get my intensities planned by Sportlyzer and in the beginning it was really hard - I felt like I wasn't moving at all, but after a while my low heart rate pace started to get faster and I enjoyed this progress a lot. It's an incredible feeling when you can run at decent pace and enjoy looking at landscape instead of suffering.

Open Air addict and hobby runner

Half Marathon 1:43 (Nov 6 '11)

Coached by a virtual coach at sportlyzer.com

• Running4urlife Pro 72 posts since
    Oct 6, 2011

Thanks - RunTonisRun - I have noticed that over time, and I guess as I develop endurance, it is getting better. Seems like it all stems from how I start out my runs.  If I start at too fast of a pace, it seems to ruin the whole run. If I start out slow and get into a good breathing pattern, my runs go ok and I don't struggle with my breathing.

I do agree that doing core strength training has helped me, too. I feel like I'm getting to that point you mention "the aerobic zone" where I notice I'm breathing good, I can pick up my pace and push my self without stressing myself.

I guess persistence is very important as it is in any sport.

Thanks!!

Run....for your life!!

COMPLETED RACES

2010 - Hot Chocolate 5k/15k ---47:24 (walked...first race in 10 years!)

2011 - Hot Chocolate 5k/15k ---- 33:53

2012 - St. Paddy's Day 8k/5k Run....58:59....FIRST 8K!

2012 - Tiger 5k Speedway Racetrack....35:38

2012 - Short Run on a Long Day 5k in Frankfort....34:43

2012 - Fort2Base - 3 Nautical Mile (3.45 miles).....36:44

2012 - Hot Chocolate 5k/15k.....31:46...PR!!

2013 - Mar - St. Paddy's Day 5k/8k Run...34.26

2013 - Apr - Tiger 5k Speedway Racetrack...34:36...2nd place in my "old age" group

2013 - May - Solider Field 10 Miler...2:01:26

2013 - June - Chicago Color Run (not timed)

2013 - June - Women's Chicago 1/2 Marathon....2:43:04

• Urbster Legend 760 posts since
    May 27, 2008

When I started to run outside I already was doing 3 miles on the treadmill to try to burn off my fat butt at the gym.    3 years ago I amped it up to street runnning and I think my first run was about 2 miles outside even though I could do 3 on the the treadmill.   I think if you are not sure where to start then start on the treadmill, build it up to a 30 min run then take it to the streets cause there is nothing better than running outside

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points