Skip navigation

1049 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2011 11:50 PM by Coach Beez RSS
Will3WP3 Rookie 6 posts since
Jul 5, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 10, 2011 4:50 PM

Defense

I am the fastest kid in my area but when on defense I seem to get beat off the ball more than i should but, on offence i am fast as I should be

Is there anything i do to improve my speed while in defensive stance

• shanteria Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 11, 2011
    1. Nov 11, 2011 1:46 PM (in response to Will3WP3)
    Defense

that is how it is with me too.

• BeatTheBest Amateur 20 posts since
    Mar 21, 2011
    2. Nov 11, 2011 2:15 PM (in response to Will3WP3)
    Defense

Ok, since you're normally fast, but not fast enough on defense means that you need to work on your footwork and quickness (Yes, its different from speed).

Basically try doing jumprope every day  about 100 jumps at least as fast as you can and try barely getting off the ground. Also, do defensive slides, 4 slides to the right, 4 slides to the left, turn a bit, 3 slides to the right, 3 slides to the left, etc... 

PS: When I said quickness is different from speed I meant that quickness is more agility and reaction time and speed is pure speed. If you need more help just ask more!

• ypsiballer Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 30, 2011
    3. Nov 11, 2011 4:18 PM (in response to Will3WP3)
    Defense

u should  jump line one side the jump to one side to the other  side

also remember when defensive sliding ur feet should never touch the lower u get the faster

• OLballer20 Expert 36 posts since
    Jul 11, 2010
    4. Nov 11, 2011 10:36 PM (in response to Will3WP3)
    Defense

so obviously your coach is failing you or your not listening...or you dont have pride in your defense ability...if your the fastset guy in the area, but you cant play defense then you need to work on your footwork by doing defensive slides...ITS THE ONLY WAY...also remember defense is 90% mental 10%skill... you can be skilled but if you dont make your self get down, lower your butt, and get balanced, then your lazy...its simple, work on defense to get better at defense...Btw i start varsity and im a junior who is 6'4 190 who is not even close to fast, but im not gonna let some 5'10 highly touted guard show me up just because im slower than him...its taken a while but ive become dedicated to defense and now its something i take pride in. Oh and when you play defense better, you get to play offense more

• Coach Beez Legend 160 posts since
    Feb 4, 2010
    5. Nov 16, 2011 11:50 PM (in response to Will3WP3)
    Defense

Defense is not only about quickness ( which you may have enough of ), but it's also about proper positioning. Offensive players like to use the jab step or the shot fake to get the defender off balance. Players nowadays also have a variety of dribble moves that they can utilize in a game. So if, for example, you get beat once or twice by an offensive player with his crossover dribble, but he keeps making the same crossover dribble on you, then you need to change your strategy. Maybe the third time when he shakes hard to the left, don't go for his first move. A lot of time studying what your offensive man is doing may get you beat the first couple of times, but as you continue to change up your defense to adjust to his offense, the more effective you become at stopping your opponent.

I also agree with the previous suggestions. Sometimes you need as much confidence on defense as you do offense. Yet, just like in offense, you need to play each sequence without thinking about the last time you got beat, or worrying about getting beat the next time down. Continue to study the game, reading the offensive player's tendencies. If you make it a situation where you are learning as you go, relax and allow yourself to make mistakes yet continue to give your best, then you will improve every time down the court.

Hope this helps.

Coach Beez

www.basketballwithcoachbeez.com

Yo, what up fools?: It's me, " THE MAN " , Zac Ryan. Even though I'm a cartoon character, I can still ball chump! So if you like basketball, then come check me out and read all my comic strips at:

www.zaciswack.com

I'm out.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...