Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9503 Views 30 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2012 11:44 AM by Joseph Tree RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • 6xchampsfan Pro 184 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    16. Oct 8, 2011 11:34 AM (in response to protometal)
    Dealing with fall / winter

Alot of great tips on winter running.  Especially on what to wear. In the winter I like to run the road when there is't too much snow piled on the sides to make it dangerous. Don't like gyms but will use them them when I have no other choice. One other thing I've tryed and come to love is snowshoeing when there gets to be enough snow. I think its a great way to keep my legs strong. Doesn't cost alot in equipment and I'm lucky to live somewhere that has lots of trails. Always take my camera along and have gotten some awesome pictures along the way. There's nothing so beautiful as a mountain top when its snowing huge snowflakes and nothing around but Gods beautiful creations. Good luck and keep running.

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    17. Oct 8, 2011 1:42 PM (in response to protometal)

Great new suggestions!  I definitely have to take a look a knucklelights - those may go on my Christmas wish list.  I'll also take a look at Under Armour gear  I really do hate to be cold. 

I've been reading Zen for Runners (or something like that)  and I keep reminding myself what I have learned so far:  dark is neither good nor bad, dark is simply dark and cold is neither good nor bad, cold is cold.  I need to adust my attitude to the dark and the cold if I want to run in the winter.

Great thread!  I'll keep checking back for more tips and share any that I come across

• ORcoastrunner Pro 83 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    18. Oct 8, 2011 4:11 PM (in response to JasonFitz1)

I would like to point out that although I am clearly one of the "soft people," Bill Bowerman trained runners in Eugene, OR, where it rarely snows (or even freezes), the summers aren't very humid, and the hot days cool off quickly in the evening when the wind blows in from the coast.  I think that if he were running in Houghton, MI or Fargo, ND, he'd have to be a little more humble about the weather.

I may not be good, but I'm slow!

• gaylewithay Rookie 4 posts since
    May 23, 2011
    19. Oct 8, 2011 4:17 PM (in response to protometal)

Last winter, here in Milwaukee, WI,  I invested in North Face Windstopper pants and jacket.  Those items, along with an Underarmor long sleeve shirt was all I needed for running.  Yes, a little pricey up front, but will last forever.  Do a really good job of blocking the wind, yet are very breathable.  I was able to run in all temperatures, from zero to a Wisconsin winter "heat wave" of 30, and was never cold or over-dressed. 

• gaylewithay Rookie 4 posts since
    May 23, 2011
    20. Oct 8, 2011 4:19 PM (in response to 6xchampsfan)

I cross country ski on days when I know the plow hasn't cleared the path along the parkway.  Nice change up from running, nice just reveling in the falling snow...

• DarnSlow Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 15, 2010
    21. Oct 10, 2011 9:34 AM (in response to protometal)

I'm in Michigan, which has very similar weather to the other places mentioned.  I encountered the same issues a few years ago when I realized I was spending most of the summer just trying to catch up to where I had been the previous year.  So, I started just putting on the sweats and going out whenever I could stand to do so, provided the streets are reasonably clear and the temperature is above 25 F.  If I don't like the conditions, then I go to our local community center, which has a track above the basketball court.  So long as I have some amusement (e.g., radio or mp3 player), the boring scenery does not bother me.  During the week I prefer to go out in the evening, either before or after dinner.  I refuse to wake up early just to run in the winter.  If that makes me "soft", then so be it!  The suggestions here about more advanced fabrics should be very useful, and I will take heed.

• umpy4 Amateur 9 posts since
    Sep 9, 2011
    22. Oct 10, 2011 5:58 PM (in response to protometal)

Three years ago I moved from the NW to the Mid West and I did not think I would make the winter but now that I am heading into my 3rd winter I look forward to it. I did spend some money inorder to layer but that was the 1st year and now I am set. I run 3 days a week and as long id it is dry I go out. If it looks too bad I tred inside and do hill and speed training. I do love running the trailes in the winter. I also use a small flashlight. I do not like head lamps. I also run early around 4:30-5 start time. You can do it just warm your lungs up with a short 5min tred or jump rope then layer. Best of luck.

• chasingamazing Amateur 24 posts since
    Jun 18, 2011
    23. Oct 10, 2011 6:35 PM (in response to nowirun4fun)

Reading all of these great and very helpful posts as I just started running in early Summer and am wondering myself what I will do in the ice and snow :-)

Per your Raynaud's, i've been sympotmatic all of my life (and oddly found out not long ago that my sister is too- we just never discussed it!) My biggest problems always arose spending hours in horse barns or skiing or very long winter walks when the pain of frozen feet and hands is so bad and persistent.  For my feet a found of all things wool blend socks (wool and polyester) and for my hands a pair of wicking glove liners inside wind- and water-proof gloves.  I don't know if running socks come in wool blend but on feet that would go numb indoors in winter and ache and tingle in 3 pairs of socks in a barn, one pair of wool-poly blend socks have been a godsend!

• Run Tonis Run Amateur 14 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    26. Nov 11, 2011 11:05 AM (in response to protometal)

If talking about weather - nothing beats good apparel. I would start from the outer layer that stops the wind and buy inner layers one by one every next month. Winter-cap with windstopper is very important to avoid headaches from cold wind.

People tend to dress too warm and take sth off when running. If you have to take layers off then take a middle layer and put the outer back on to defend youself from cold wind. You should be feeling a little cold when you go out, because when you start sweating it gets comfortable.

I have discovered my own demotivation coeficient :

Dark +1

Rain +1

No street lights +1

0 - perfect

1 - can do

2 - getting doubts

3 - get real, I'll go tomorrow

It kind of helps - I just try to minimize those +1-s. Snowing is ok - it's beautiful.

Open Air addict and hobby runner

Half Marathon 1:43 (Nov 6 '11)

Coached by a virtual coach at sportlyzer.com

• Ogr44 Legend 316 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    27. Nov 11, 2011 8:32 PM (in response to protometal)

I live west of D.C. in Virginia.  they do not have winter here  (except for a day or two a year).  I enjoy running much more in fall/winter/early spring than summer.  I used to XC ski back in my youth and did my winter formative years in upper mid west and Quebec. 

I do find that a light pair of gloves does wonders for my hands when the temp is in the 30's.   I use old flight gloves from my navy days (leather and nomex)   I usually wear a hat and use one that is quick dry - so long as I keep moving I don't get chilled.  I admit I avoid running in rain - unless its a race.  I also ride bike pretty much year round and when it does get nippy, I wear my long bike pants to run it.  they have extra layer in front that is wind resistant.

I have lighted streets to run on and I take extra care when crossing streets....

races in 2013 - Always trying to keep moving

31 Dec 2012: Fairfax 4 miler: 49:34

10 Feb 2013 Run your heart 2013 35:30

Please check out this site: http://www.exceptionalcomfort.blogspot.com/

• everjewel Amateur 37 posts since
    Sep 19, 2010
    29. Jan 22, 2012 10:22 AM (in response to protometal)
    Re: Dealing with fall / winter

Great tips! Those knuckle lights look awesome! I loved the advice on changing one's attitude towards winter running. If you don't dread the cold and just accept it, then prepare for it, it really isn't a barrier at all. Just another aspect of running. I'll admit, darkness is my big issue, too, so I schedule around it whenever possible, or if I have to run in the dark, I'll route through well-lit neighborhoods, even though these aren't my favorite routes.

Here's something that I've found helpful: planning way ahead. I only have certain windows of opportunity when I know I can run, so in order to make the best use of my time, I'll pay attention to the weather forecast for the upcoming week, decide which days and times will be best to run, and then plan those runs into my schedule for the week. By knowing well in advance which days and times I plan to run, I am less likely to miss a run. They've already been built into my week, as you would build in time for any other appointment. I know that if I skip a run, it won't be easy to make it up since I've already seen what the upoming weather is going to be like, and I would be letting a valuable opportunity pass by unused.

For motivation, yeah, the lack of races this time of year is a factor for me, too. I know I'll run when I have something to prepare for. So.... I registered for a half in May, still a long way off, but a distance I've never ran before. Being a bigger race, there's no way I want to go into it unprepared.

It takes some trial and error to find what gear combination works best for you, but since other people have posted their gear preferences, I'll post my favorites too. For temps in the 20s to teens, I'll wear a wicking base layer Patagonia Cap-3 long-sleeved T, top layer Patagonia fleece with a collar that zips up high around my neck, and for wind and rain, I LOVE my Patagonia Houdini shell. That jacket was one of the best clothing investments I have ever made! On the bottom, I wear nylon/spandex pants of some unknown brand and Zensah compression sleeves. (I've run without the sleeves, but on really cold and windy days, they make that first chilly mile easier to get thru.) Shoe-wise, I trust the traction of my Saucony Excersion trail runners, not to mention, they do a pretty good job of keeping the wet out. They were inexpensive and have become my favorite shoe for any surface, any condition. Earband that keeps my forehead warm, too (a full hat is too much, but I will pull up my hood if there's a wet snow falling). Gloves, but they usually come off before the end of the run. If it's super-cold and the wind is really whipping, I'll wear the neck gaiter to breathe thru. Luckily, it's been a mild winter so far.

Another must for winter running... chapstick! Burt's Bees, actually. And there was a thread once about chewing gum while running... while this is helpful for running in any weather, my teeth seem to be less sensitive to the cold if I'm chewing gum.  Placebo, maybe? I don't know, but it works for me. EDIT: I should add, NO MINT gum of any kind, however! Mint gum+cold air= frosty sensation that I do not want while running. I stick with fruity gum, like Orbit mixed berry.

Message was edited by: everjewel K.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points