Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1854 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2011 3:33 PM by Jasko123
Bethjl2010 Amateur 34 posts since
Feb 8, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 13, 2011 4:20 PM

Advice needed from fellow runners

Here is the situation....I registered and paid to run a half marathon today but was unable to actually run it.  Some one I know gave my number to someone else to run...possibly someone who is nasty to me everytime she sees me (another story)...what would you do?  Would you ask for whoever ran the race to pay you back, or just leave it alone?  Yes, I know that if you register for a race and don't run, you don't get your money back anyways, but if someone else ran with my number, that is running the race for free!  Grr....

Just wanted advice on what i should do...

Thanks!

Beth

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    1. Nov 13, 2011 5:06 PM (in response to Bethjl2010)

I'd suggest playing by the rules and do not give your number away if you cannot run. That averts the problem or the potential of a problem.

• mdshrink Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 13, 2011
    3. Nov 13, 2011 8:28 PM (in response to Bethjl2010)

I would say it depends on if the money is very important to you and getting it back or not makes a big difference.

If money is an issue - try talking to whoever gave your number away and see if you can get reimbursed. Unfortunately, not the person who ran..., but that is a different story.

If money is not as much of an issue, than I'd say let it slide.

Best of luck to you anyway,

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    5. Nov 14, 2011 5:49 AM (in response to Bethjl2010)

Just let it be, it's not going to do anything but make a mess if you confront her.  It's over

• NancyLFreeman Legend 243 posts since
    Feb 17, 2010
    6. Nov 14, 2011 11:33 AM (in response to Bethjl2010)

What BOSNPM said.

If it's really bugging you, you could say something like, "Hey, no biggie, but next time could you check with me first?"  I wouldn't go after the money.

-Nan

visit me at RunningUpThatHill, my blog on Wordpress!

6/3/12 Maraton Rapa Nui 5:00:49 (PR)

10/16/11 Istanbul Eurasia Marathon 5:10:25

2/20/11 Lost Dutchman Marathon 5:29:50
    2/19/12 Lost Dutchman HM 2:10:08 (PR)
    11/22/12 Mesa Turkey Trot 10K 59:48 (PR)
    4/14/12 Phoenix Firefly 5K 28:41 (PR)
    Upcoming:
    12/2/12 Fiesta Bowl HM
    12/8/12 PHX Hot Chocolate 5K
    6/23/13 Bay of Fundy Marathon
    2/14 Tokyo Marathon
    11/14 Antarctic Ice Marathon
    ?
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,413 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    7. Nov 14, 2011 1:42 PM (in response to Bethjl2010)

It goes beyond money these days.  Most races require photo ID to pick up a bib, so how did your "friend" manage to get yours?  Also, for some race organizations (Rock 'n' Roll, for instance) having someone else run with your bib can get you banned from future participation in their races.  Forget the money.  I would let the person who gave away your bib know, in no uncertain terms, not to do it again.  Sounds harsh, but it's your reputation that is at stake.

Len

Len

• urquiola Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Dec 6, 2011 12:53 PM (in response to Bethjl2010)

If you really don't like the person, you could contact the Race Director and get them DQed.

I wouldn't want my name attached to a result I didn't achive.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    9. Dec 6, 2011 3:33 PM (in response to Bethjl2010)

Most running events specifically prohibit selling or giving a race I.D. to anyone else.  I think you do need to follow up because, unfortunately, the person participating should have been disqualified and both of you could be potentially barred from future events.  (What if the person using your number had been injured?...what a real and future liability nightmare for everyone involved).  It is a shame that someone you know gave away your bib, and if this person is a member of a professional running/race organization, then he/she fully knew better, so that is just totally unethical and ridiculous.  At this point, I guess cover your bases for the future and that may include filing a report/complaint to protect your own best interests. 

Wishing you great progress

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points