Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3029 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2011 1:27 PM by Run Tonis Run
valmarie1 Expert 44 posts since
Jan 8, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 3, 2011 8:22 AM

Anyone else training for their first half?

Just curious....mine will be the RNR in San Antonio in November.  I'm super excited and NERVOUS about it.  Sometimes it seems I'm all gung ho when I'm sitting looking at training plans and thinking about it but then the runs just kill it.    Then again it's HOT where I live and I don't do well in heat at all.  Anyways, 19 weeks to go....ack!

Running in honor of those that can't....and with vision that one day my son will run alongside me.

• RunningMama79 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 6, 2011
    1. Jul 6, 2011 12:23 PM (in response to valmarie1)
    Re: Anyone else training for their first half?
    I'm running my first half in September.  I'm really nervous as well.
  • VanesaK Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 17, 2011
    2. Jul 6, 2011 1:12 PM (in response to valmarie1)

I am still trying to decide between running the San Antonio RNR or the Seawall Half Marathon in Galveston, both are in November, whichever one I end up picking will be my first. I have looked at a few training plans and I have found most to be a little intimidating. I am average running about 12 miles a week now, but adding a 4th (or a 5th) day of training into the mix sounds like it might be too much, especially with this Texas heat. 

• SusiSez Amateur 29 posts since
    Apr 15, 2011
    4. Jul 6, 2011 3:08 PM (in response to valmarie1)

It's good to know I'm not alone--I'm also training for my first, the All Women & One Lucky Guy Half in Newburyport, MA in early November. My training was sort of hit & miss until I got out of school a week ago. I wanted to get back in shape and then I read The Non-Runners' Marathon Guide for Women by Dawn Dais (she even included training plans for a half and full marathon for runners and runner-walkers). If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it (very funny and inspirational at the same time).

Susana

• pbdazzler23 Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Nov 13, 2011 8:22 PM (in response to valmarie1)

I'm just starting training this week for my first one in March 17th, 2012!! Can't wait to hear how you did!! Good luck and have FUN!!

HLKSMSH

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    6. Nov 13, 2011 8:58 PM (in response to pbdazzler23)

I'm hoping to be ready to do a half in March as well.  It really depends on how training goes over the winter, but for now, that's the plan.

• RickyDean Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 2, 2011
    7. Nov 14, 2011 3:00 AM (in response to valmarie1)

I'm registered for one on March 18th, it'll be my first one.  I start the training program tonight and im super excited

• HelenM2002 Pro 153 posts since
    Jul 17, 2009
    8. Nov 14, 2011 6:18 AM (in response to valmarie1)

Hope the November first timers did (or do) great! I did my first one yesterday -- Pensacola Marathon -- and will be doing my second one in the beginning of March. I didn't train as well as I should have and ended up walking quite a bit of the race (including almost a mile with an injured runner), but I finished it! And I wasn't last!

I'm using yesterday's race as a foundation, and will build on it to have an awesome race in March.

• ydiez Pro 142 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    9. Nov 14, 2011 11:55 AM (in response to HelenM2002)

I am running my first half marathon in February. So far I completed the first week of this site's half marathon intermediate training plan, but I have to admit It was a bit too challenging for me so I will probably be re-doing this first week once or twice untill I get my legs used to it!

Good luck to you all!

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time! The goal is set for March 15th (tentatively at 3h20min, but it sound like science fiction at the moment so I might adjust it down).

• Run Tonis Run Amateur 14 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    10. Nov 14, 2011 1:27 PM (in response to ydiez)

One-size fits all training plans are good in certain situations. Apparently you didn't fit in. I'm using automated training planner Sportlyzer. It caluclates a custom plan and keeps updating it as you log in trainings. For tracking I use Garmin Fit mobile app as Sportlyzer syncs to GarminConnect.

Sometimes it's not as adaptive as I would like, but I couldn't plan my trainings smarter myself.

Open Air addict and hobby runner

Half Marathon 1:43 (Nov 6 '11)

Coached by a virtual coach at sportlyzer.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...