Skip navigation

20061 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2011 6:42 PM by SriramPhysio Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Estrellista Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 5, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    16. Jun 5, 2010 5:28 PM (in response to mushyro)
    Re: Varicose veins and running?

I'm 53, with small red veins plus a couple of blue bulgy ones.  This year I started running for the first time in my life, and I've noticed that the veins actually got slightly better in the past few months.

Here's hoping it helps yours, too.

• lmerullo Amateur 25 posts since
    Aug 16, 2009
    17. Jun 6, 2010 5:08 AM (in response to mushyro)
    Re: Varicose veins and running?

Something I just noticed this weekend, as a matter of fact. I ran Saturday, then came home, showered and put on a bathing suit. I met my dd for a swim at the beach, and we both checked each other out. We both noticed that this one varicose vein I have behind my right knee is much less noticable. She even asked if I had rollerbladed - because the knee pads I wear could compress it. So, I am of the "running made mine better" camp.

I also have a good friend who showed me his leg on a Sunday, after a run. Said maybe a torn muscle? Swollen and warm to the touch.  He was an avid runner. He went to bed and never woke up. His wife said cause of death was a blood clot in the calf. Do not ignore symptoms!

• SriramPhysio Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 21, 2011
    18. Nov 21, 2011 6:42 PM (in response to lmerullo)
    Varicose veins and running?

I'm 26 now. I recently quit smoking (one or two cigerrettes in a day). I was diagnosed with varicose veins and varicoseceal (3rd grade). I underwent surgery for the varicoseal. I run like 4 to 6 miles 3 times in a week and I recently ran 9 miles (4 miles- 10 mins rest - 5 miles). On the next day i found i little more varicose veins on my inside of the leg( below knee) it is even little warm that day. I'm worried about this. I don't want to quit running and I want to make a marathon. Please help me. Thank god winter is coming and they wont look really aweful. I appreciate any help and advice.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points