Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

18807 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2011 6:42 PM by SriramPhysio Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Estrellista Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 5, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    16. Jun 5, 2010 5:28 PM (in response to mushyro)
    Re: Varicose veins and running?

I'm 53, with small red veins plus a couple of blue bulgy ones.  This year I started running for the first time in my life, and I've noticed that the veins actually got slightly better in the past few months.

Here's hoping it helps yours, too.

Estrellista

• lmerullo Amateur 25 posts since
    Aug 16, 2009
    17. Jun 6, 2010 5:08 AM (in response to mushyro)
    Re: Varicose veins and running?

Something I just noticed this weekend, as a matter of fact. I ran Saturday, then came home, showered and put on a bathing suit. I met my dd for a swim at the beach, and we both checked each other out. We both noticed that this one varicose vein I have behind my right knee is much less noticable. She even asked if I had rollerbladed - because the knee pads I wear could compress it. So, I am of the "running made mine better" camp.

I also have a good friend who showed me his leg on a Sunday, after a run. Said maybe a torn muscle? Swollen and warm to the touch.  He was an avid runner. He went to bed and never woke up. His wife said cause of death was a blood clot in the calf. Do not ignore symptoms!

• SriramPhysio Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 21, 2011
    18. Nov 21, 2011 6:42 PM (in response to lmerullo)
    Varicose veins and running?

I'm 26 now. I recently quit smoking (one or two cigerrettes in a day). I was diagnosed with varicose veins and varicoseceal (3rd grade). I underwent surgery for the varicoseal. I run like 4 to 6 miles 3 times in a week and I recently ran 9 miles (4 miles- 10 mins rest - 5 miles). On the next day i found i little more varicose veins on my inside of the leg( below knee) it is even little warm that day. I'm worried about this. I don't want to quit running and I want to make a marathon. Please help me. Thank god winter is coming and they wont look really aweful. I appreciate any help and advice.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points