Skip navigation

1721 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2011 8:27 AM by BB2ley RSS
BIGSGT Rookie 2 posts since
Nov 14, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 14, 2011 1:53 PM

Training Regimen to prepare for the Elephant Rock Ride (Jun 2012)

Hey everyone,

Can someone recommend a 6mo training regimen for me to prepare to ride in the Elephant Rock Ride in June 2012?  I have tried riding with some of the local bike shops on their weekend rides and such but they are way too fast for me when dealing with all of the hills here in Colorado Springs.  I currently strike out on my own and average 15-20mi on my rides but this is only done about 3 or 4 times a week.  I have been looking for a riding partner to help keep me focused on the task but I must be too much of a novice for many of the riders around here because all of the ones I see on the roads are usually going at it like they are in a race.  I have been trying to get the miles under my belt (as well as toughen up bottom) to help me endure at least the 63mi ride but I am unsure of how to approach preparing for the ride whereas I won't be burnt-out when the ride does happen.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

BIGSgt

• Chickenbiddy Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 28, 2009

Suggest developing  a plan using knowledge gained from a couple of books. "The Complete book of Long Distance Cycling" - Burke/Pavelka and/or "Training Plans for Cyclists" - Bernhardt....both are ~ $15 on Amazon...and get a heartrate monitor of some type ...

Join Colorado Springs Bike Club (inexpensive) and participate in their standard group rides (varying skill levels)

Good Luck!

• BB2ley Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 29, 2009

Hi,

As the weather changes it may be more difficult to find an outdoor trainiing regiment but the following link has some great video opportunities.  Videos are not a match to actual riding and I am not saying that but if you want a good feel for the ERock and no excuses during training, then you may want to check out the following: http://www.cyclingvideosonline.com/_video_details/base1.html They have an ERock ride specific. Also, contact Pikes Peak Brewing in Monument.  They have a cycling club that is just starting out and I am relatively certain most have completed the ERock several times.  I believe you can check them out online. Have fun and enjoy the ride.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...