Skip navigation

992 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2011 7:38 PM by Phx Suns RSS
BruceQ Rookie 1 posts since
Nov 9, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 9, 2011 8:10 PM

Defense

Hey I'm a 6'3 forward/center for my high school team. We just started practicing and with the first practice my man to man defense wasn't good. I got beat off the dribble and let the person I was defending score. I'll admit that I am not very fast on my feet and that my one on one defense isn't the best. I was wondering what you do to play your best defense. Any hints, tips or drills to do will help. I want to be the best basketball player I can be but I first need to get over this defensive slump. Also I learned two types of man to man defense one of which you are right up close to the player making them uncomfortable and another is playing a step off to not get  beat. Based on my description above I want to know which style would be best for me.

-Bruce

• Coach Beez Legend 160 posts since
    Feb 4, 2010
    1. Nov 10, 2011 12:22 PM (in response to BruceQ)
    Defense

Bruce

I think it's great that you want to improve your defense. These days, a lot of kids just care about scoring. Here are a few thoughts:

1) Analyze who you are guarding:  if you see that your opponent is not the best shooter, then you can sag a little and play him for the drive. If he can shoot, then you have to get closer, getting a hand up to make him second guess taking the shot.

2) If you have to play tight, then force the player to their off-hand. I'm not saying to give them a lane to the basket. You still need to cut off their line of attack. But if I had to choose, I would definitely force them to dribble with their bad hand. Once they go, continue to ride him and make it more difficult for him to finish with his off hand.

3) Many players have slow movement on defense because their footwork is incorrect. If you are facing your man and forcing them to their left hand ( for example ), that would mean your left foot is higher than your right. Now, as the player starts to drive to their left, your fist movement is to push off your left foot and reach with your right. Many players get beat because they move their left foot in first, and this is way too slow.

4) As a slower defender, the key is to play smart on defense. There is no one single answer for the best way to play defense because every offensive player is different. But if you study the other player's tendencies on offense, then you can get away with a lack of quickness by playing defense in the right position.

In any case, foot speed is always essential. Try jump roping and any other quick feet drills you can find on the internet that may help you.

Hope this helps.

Coach Beez

Yo, what up fools?: It's me, " THE MAN " , Zac Ryan. Even though I'm a cartoon character, I can still ball chump! So if you like basketball, then come check me out and read all my comic strips at:

www.zaciswack.com

I'm out.

• Phx Suns Expert 39 posts since
    Jul 18, 2011
    2. Nov 24, 2011 7:38 PM (in response to BruceQ)
    Defense

Well, I would say that to be behind the other teams player is a good start. I was not aggressive when I was younger. Then when I got a little pumped up it got to me.Leave the player open just a little. When the point guard or anyone passes to him you can jump out and steel it. If you stay right on him then they will never pass to him or he can circle around you, that is why you shoul give the player a little open space so he can get the pass, then you pop out, steel it and take it right for a layup.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points