Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

4556 Views 23 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2011 7:24 PM by BlueBeak Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • TheMouth__1 Legend 917 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Nov 26, 2011 7:14 PM (in response to Michael_Taylor)
    The Strike Zone

Anyone who thinks they are greater than the game and the rules, shouldn't be participating in it at any level.   TM

• Kyle_ Legend 556 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    16. Nov 27, 2011 7:25 AM (in response to TheMouth__1)
    Re: The Strike Zone

So you'd honestly call a strike at an armpit shot on a 16 year old?

Interesting.

Hey, if that's the norm in your area, and what everyone expects you to call, go get 'em, Chief. But if I called that here in San Diego, that would probably be the last time I was asked to do a LL Seniors game.(nor a Juniors or Majors game, for that matter).

Now I fully understand that's not what the book calls for. But please remember the old saying "With the book, not by the book". That's Umpiring 102, second semester stuff. Also, we don't require the players to sit on the bench at all times, nor confine the coaches to the chalked boxes. And there's plenty of other things that we learn along the way, as umpires, that aren't in the book.

Calling a strike on an inside pitch, when a batter is crowding the plate, or rewarding for hitting spots (and punishing for not hitting spots).is grad school stuff. No one is going to formally teach you that in a book or classroom.

TM, I appriciate you wanting to uphold the book, and it's contents. But understand, if you want to progress, you've got to figure out what your customers want in you as an umpire. Sure, consistency is great, But if I constantly called the armpit strike, or one that the catcher set up for down and away, that came up and in, I wouldn't last long here in SoCal. That's not what my customers expect. 

May 30, 2007
    17. Nov 27, 2011 8:04 AM (in response to Kyle_)

Sorry Kyle, I just don't buy it.  Your explanation seems to satisfy your needs and the rules be damned.  I am a baseball purest and I teach the game according to the rules as stated.  The "with the book" senario would allow your to just about change any existing rule and I would never accept that argument.  So keep your job in California but I on the otherhand will continue to teach "by the rules" and at the same time teach the various nuances that this game encompasses.   TM

• Kyle_ Legend 556 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    18. Nov 27, 2011 8:10 AM (in response to TheMouth__1)

And if that's what works in your area, again, that's great. Just understand the "by the book" doesn't work everywhere.

• Michael_Taylor Community Moderator 318 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    19. Nov 27, 2011 9:23 PM (in response to TheMouth__1)
    The Strike Zone

I believe if you ever see a game called by 100% of the rules exactly the way they are written in the book, it would be a very ugly game. I could give specific examples but I don't think it is needed. Of course, if you want the umpires to call every rule 100% of the time then coaches should d the same, which means no local rules except the few that are opt in/out by LL. Mercy rule, age breakdown in 90ft, CBO and other procedural things.

Michael S. Taylor

May 30, 2007
    20. Nov 28, 2011 7:02 AM (in response to Michael_Taylor)
    The Strike Zone

I totally agree Michael.   TM

• HugoTafurst Legend 515 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    21. Nov 28, 2011 9:23 AM (in response to BlueBeak)
    The Strike Zone

BlueBeak wrote:

My OP had nothing to do with the book "definition of the strike zone". (How did it so quickly get off on that tangent? Usually that doesn't happen on this board until "later" replies)

While I agree with most of what Kyle and Pete state, neither of their responses to my OP address the "majority of the strike zone" statement, of which I took issue.

I don't know anyone who would agree with the "majority of the strikezone" statement.

The statement you quoted was at best maybe out of context......... but also maybe just a misspoken statement.

Is it written or was it just spoken in casual conversation?

Either way, I suspect that the universal disagreement is the reason the conversation got off on a tangent so fast.

;-)

oops

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    22. Nov 28, 2011 12:10 PM (in response to Kyle_)
    The Strike Zone

The "problem" in LL. & youth baseball, with an umpire not calling "by the book"....  coaches are teaching their players "by the book" when it comes to a batter gauging whether or not the pitch should be swung at----or end up taking a strike call.  [same applies to a host of other youth playing rules]

Then, even in the pros as so often mentioned by announcers and analyists, every umpire has his/her own strike zone----and generally, in the pros once a team bats around, batters should/will adjust.

Not so easy for a kid who has been "drilled"...  "by the book"... in practice and/or scrimmages by his coaches.

Frank!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...