Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2796 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2011 9:58 AM by lenzlaw
SJRUN Expert 55 posts since
May 3, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 17, 2011 7:03 AM

Why is it running in the rain can be so great!?

Ran on the road last night for the first time since NY.  4 1/2 easy miles...about a 9.5 min pace.

Temperature was in the mid-60s and rainy...alternating between steady drizzle and downpours.  Of course it can suck when it's cold, but when it's warm-ish, sometimes there's just nothing to compare with running out in the rain.  It just seems to wash away any pain or anxiety.  Wouldn't want to do it all the time, mind you, but sometimes it rocks...like last night!

Anybody feel the same?

"If you think you will fail or that you will succeed, you'll be right."

Recent and Upcoming Races:

New York NY - ING NY Marathon, Nov. 6, 2011 - Finish time 4:53:24

• jtibbscu Amateur 22 posts since
    Jan 23, 2006
    1. Nov 17, 2011 1:23 PM (in response to SJRUN)

Absolutely,  I find that rain on a long run day can change the atmosphere just enough to make the tedium go away.  I finish stronger and feel better along the way, so long as chafage issues do not arise.

I rarely drink water when I run, even long (I reserve that for races).  I think part of the benefit for me is I sweat less.  

How was NY,  ran it myself for the first time this year.  Awsome race.

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    3. Nov 29, 2011 10:47 AM (in response to SJRUN)

What do you wear to run in the rain?  I sweat just walking in a rain jacket, but worry about hypothermia if I'm not covered.

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    4. Nov 29, 2011 12:09 PM (in response to GinnyinPA)

I do not think you are going to have to worry about hypothermia. I suspect that the time you would be out in the rain, and the fact you are running would lead me to believe your core body temperature is not going to drop.

There are specialized clothes made for runners and foul weather.

Personally, I do not use any of the fancy, specialized clothing. I am old school and I wear another layer/shirt under the jacket or sweat shirt I am wearing.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,430 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    6. Nov 30, 2011 9:58 AM (in response to GinnyinPA)

If it's raining and cold, I'll usually wear a wind jacket over my shirt, and maybe wind pants as well.  Just something to take the edge off the rain.  I have a GoreTex suit that works great for really cold weather, but

just doesn't do well in the wet.  It gets too clammy.

As for hypothermia - I finished a marathon in October, temps in the low 40s and a steady rain.  I wore a long sleeve tech shirt with a singlet over it (for the bib) and I wore regular shorts over compression shorts.  I had a thin plastic poncho for the first few miles but it just got in the way so I ditched it.  It was a little chilly at times, but I didn't feel like I was freezing.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...