Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

365 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2011 4:33 PM by Annapol RSS
Annapol Rookie 1 posts since
Nov 30, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 30, 2011 4:33 PM

New To Running and Pain Question

Greetings!

I am new to running, and have decided to forego my usual dive right in tactics and actually educate myself and take it slow, so I can hopefully endure. I am running for weight loss as my immediate goal, and weight maintenance as my long term goal. My metabolism isn't what it used to be.

I began running on a treadmill at my gym before the holidays, and was experiencing pain. I knew I had the wrong shoes, so I took a holiday hiatus and was fitted for new running shoes and inserts today at a highly recommended local shop. The pain is now absent on my right side but persists on my left, so I'm wondering what anyone's thoughts are. Should I join a beginner's running group to help with my form (I'm pounding the surface and it doesn't feel right)? Other tips?

The pain is in the bottom of my leg, at the front, beginning above my foot and going about halfway the distance to my knee. Hopefully I'm explaining that correctly. I also felt pain on the ball of my left big toe - that left part of the foot that would be the meat if my big toe were a chicken wing (sorry for the poor analogy). Last, I felt numbess at the bottoms of both my feet, but I think that could be acclimating to my new shoes.

Sorry to jump in with paragraphs of data. I hope to frequent these boards and learn all I can. Thanks in advance.

-Annap(olitan)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points