Skip navigation

2694 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2011 6:21 AM by theworldofhoops RSS
Mattmo0121 Rookie 4 posts since
Nov 19, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 30, 2011 1:45 PM

I need help dealing with the press.

I'm in 7th grade, I'm a deep bench player, who can shoot th elights out on every day. I'm extremely consistent, I just have 1 problem. This is my first "real league", where you have practice every day, you are playing to go to state (we are extremely good, we have a good chance to make it to state in Illinois). We have around 25 games. I really lack a couple things, but mainly, its my inability to do well, when I'm being guarded by a full court press. As soon as two defenders close in, I can't find the open man, and I wind up turning it over way too many times. I know I can be a 6th man on this team, instead I'm the 13th. Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with the press.

• Phx Suns Expert 39 posts since
    Jul 18, 2011
    1. Nov 30, 2011 9:09 PM (in response to Mattmo0121)

All you have to do is calm down and slow the play down

• Coach Beez Legend 160 posts since
    Feb 4, 2010
    2. Nov 30, 2011 11:40 PM (in response to Mattmo0121)

There are a few things that you can do:

1) Dribble between the two defenders BEFORE they have a chance to trap you

2) Pass to an open man BEFORE getting trapped

3) If you are dribbling and find yourself about to be double teamed, use your back up dribble to create space and get away from the defenders.

Skills Needed:

* Efficient ball handler with both hands

* Great passer

Lastly, just like Phx Suns states above, stay calm. Sometimes we can get a bit overwhelmed when the other team traps or plays real aggresive basketba!!

Stay calm

Yo, what up fools?: It's me, " THE MAN " , Zac Ryan. Even though I'm a cartoon character, I can still ball chump! So if you like basketball, then come check me out and read all my comic strips at:

www.zaciswack.com

I'm out.

• adanny14 Legend 590 posts since
    May 20, 2010
    4. Dec 8, 2011 12:28 PM (in response to Mattmo0121)

Really focus on keeping your head up and seeing the court. That will help you limit turnovers and also should help you find the open man.

• Dr3ambig Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 8, 2011
    5. Dec 10, 2011 11:17 AM (in response to Mattmo0121)

Go into all of your games with confidence, and never doubt your abilities for a minute. When playing the game of basketball its always about thinking smart and focusing and not letting the crowd, opposing team or even your team get in your head resulting in mistakes being made on your behalf. If your not a good ball handler instead of just practing you shooting, since you mentioned earlier that you have a nice stroke. You should place more time developing you ball handeling abilities, and just watch the results.

• Andreas10 Pro 71 posts since
    Feb 18, 2011
    6. Dec 10, 2011 5:31 PM (in response to Mattmo0121)

All you have to do is watch the 1st player in your position, what does he do when two players trap him.  In my team we have a play when a player is trapped, so it really also depends on the other players of your team.  They have to move towards you and talk to you so you can pass them.  Another thing is that when you see the players coming to you for the trap, put your leg betwin them so they cant trap you.  And don't drible.  Try to search the open teammate.  thats what I do

• theworldofhoops Pro 52 posts since
    Oct 17, 2010
    7. Dec 12, 2011 6:21 AM (in response to Mattmo0121)

I played basketball in high school and college, and currently coach individual players.

There are a few things at play here.  The first is...this is probably the first time you have dealt with a full court press.  Whenever you are inexperienced in something, it is going to seem more difficult.  It is also going to seem like everything happens VERY fast.  When we aren't used to a press we tend to pick up our dribble, allow ourselves to get trapped, turn it over, and everything feels like it's going 100MPH.

Here is what you need to do...

First try to avoid getting trapped...if possible make a quick and easy pass

Don't waste your dribble...don't dribble just for the sake of dribbling...survey the floor for an open man.  If there is nothing, then dribble up the court.

When you do dribble, try not get stuck in the corners or along the sideline...this makes things much more difficult b/c the sideline acts like a 3rd defender.

Stay calm, work your pivot foot and keep your head up...do not stand straight up...stay low and athletic try to step through or around the trap.

Try to stay calm...you can always call a timeout if you get trapped really bad.

In the meantime...keep working on your ball-handling, coordination, and practice.  If you have a few friends to practice with try this: ball handling drill Also check out the other WOH videos on that same youtube channel...a ton of great ball handling videos

I have a ton of basketball information like this at my site: Basketball Training

Joe

www.theworldofhoops.com

joe@theworldofhoops.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points