Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3174 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2011 6:29 AM by jmsab23 RSS
shorty5k Pro 111 posts since
Dec 18, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 29, 2011 8:50 AM

distance and time Question

Ok I know in the C25k you can run for distance or on a time basis, But what about those of us that are running for time but still are interested in our distance versres time. Example right now I am in week 3 counting my first 5 min warmup walk and the walk and run portion I am covering about 1.8 miles over the first 2 days of the week is that good or slow. It prolly really makes no difference because I am completeing the runs just want to know where I am at compared to others.

Thanks Shorty

"The long run is what puts the tiger in the cat"

• jwdavis28 Amateur 32 posts since
    Nov 14, 2011
    1. Nov 29, 2011 8:56 AM (in response to shorty5k)

Shorty, what was your total time including the 5 min warm up walk?  If I know that I can figure an approximate mile pace for you.  Bottom line is to finish the interval....time or distance.  I'm doing time right now and my walking pace is about a 15:45 mile while my run interval pace is right at 9 min mile pace.

James

Nov 14, 2011
    2. Nov 29, 2011 9:26 AM (in response to jwdavis28)

It won't let me look at it Shorty. 

Nov 14, 2011
    4. Nov 29, 2011 9:56 AM (in response to shorty5k)

OK if my calculations are correct your average pace for the workout including the 5 min warm up walk and the remainder of the intervals is about 12:56 per mile.  In W3 of the program my workouts were about 12:15-12:30 including my warmup and cool down walks.  Looks to me like you are doing fine!

Bottom line is we have to finish the allotted time to get the benefit....whatever pace that may be.

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    5. Nov 29, 2011 10:35 AM (in response to shorty5k)

Since everybody starts at a different level of fitness, what does it matter where you stand in relation to anybody else?  All that matters is doing each day as best you can.  If that means 10 minute miles or 15 minute miles - who cares?  You find a speed that is comfortable for you - e.g. that allows you to talk without gasping as you run.  Everybody is going to be different, especially starting out.  If you make progress on a weekly basis -- and you will if you stick to the program -- then be happy.  The time to worry about speed is after you've learned how to run, and even then, it only matters if you intend to compete in races. 

• ItsLinda Pro 60 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010
    6. Nov 30, 2011 6:00 PM (in response to shorty5k)

Hey Shorty, 

Its good too "see" you back....I'm still here, mostley lurking , sometimes posting, but every thread I seem to  post on  "dies"......but still running..... 

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    7. Dec 1, 2011 6:29 AM (in response to shorty5k)

Shorty..... I agree with GinnyinPA. It doesn't matter what you're doing for pace right now, unless you want to set up a benchmark or two for yourself, and then as you get more into it, you can re-time yourself and create new benchmarks. Continuous improvement, in the long run, is what is best. You may not better yesterday's mark today, but if you keep pushing and doing the workouts, you'll probably better it more and more often over the next month. If you're not competing for big prize money, just look at your own goals and accomplishments. Satisfaction can come from knowing you can reach those goals, and if you continue with your workouts, you will reach your future goals, too.

And don't forget, you may do well in one race where there aren't a lot of competitive runners participating, and then finish in the middle or near the back of the pack in a race where therre are a lot of good, fast runners. That doesn't matter as much as attaining your personal goals. That's why a lot of people stress Personal Bests, or Personal Records!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points