Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1133 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2011 4:52 PM by 6xchampsfan
6xchampsfan Pro 184 posts since
Jul 4, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 1, 2011 12:05 AM

mount marcy or not

Hello trailrunners. I'm in need of advice. I was invited to hike mount marcy with my nephew and his friend in about 2 weeks. They are both very fit and athletic. Not to mention their combined age is less than mine. I do some trail running and it is fast becoming my favorite type of running. I also snowshoe when I get the chance and even managed to complete a 26 mile trailrace this fall. The Megatransect in LockHaven Pa. With that being said I'm not sure I can keep up with these young guys for 15 miles through I'm guessing snow covered trails. I don't want to ruin the trip for them but it sounds awesome. Has anyone hiked this trail this time of year and have some input? Id appreciate it if so. Thx.

• Terranss Legend 268 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    1. Dec 1, 2011 7:45 AM (in response to 6xchampsfan)
    Re: mount marcy or not

Although I've never done that hike before, it sounds like the invitation was given without reservations about your conditioning and fitness, so I say go for it.  You've done the mileage and more, and you're a runner, so I'd bet you can handle it just fine.

Even if you might be slower than him, just take heart in the fact that you're the "cool" uncle your nephew wants to spend time with!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Dec 1, 2011 8:34 AM (in response to 6xchampsfan)
    Re: mount marcy or not

Well, you finished The Mega, so I don't think you'll have a problem, particularly since they're planning to hike, not run.  I would think The Megatransect would be at least as hard (if not harder), and you did that for time.  (I have a couple friends who did Mega the last two years, so I know a little bit about it.)

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points