Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3299 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2011 1:28 PM by offmycouch RSS
RunBekeRun Rookie 1 posts since
Nov 22, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 23, 2011 2:49 PM

New and in need of advice please?

Hello all, I'm a brand new newbie and I have always loathed running. I've recently decided I might actually enjoy the health benefits and the challenge. My biggest obstacles are the winter weather and my jogger stroller. I want so desperatly to go out and do the program , but I can not bundle the baby up in freezing temps. The only respite I get with childcare is on the weekend and I don't want to limit myself to two days and nothing during the week. I have no funds for a gym membership at the moment, however, I do have the luxury of being a stay at home mom. Is there a way I can do this at home similar to a Leslie Sansone program with walking in place and then jogging in place? I don't know what else to do and I want to get started ASAP. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. -Beke

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    1. Nov 24, 2011 7:38 AM (in response to RunBekeRun)

Wii Fit Plus. Seriously. My wife started her health program with it. I was very sceptical, but found the workouts to be realistic and helpful. After 4 or 5 months on the Wii, she could run/walk a 10k.

We were fortunate enough to get a Wii as a gift. I know you say that a gym membership is out of reach, but see if you can come up with a Wii somehow. Doing it at home, not having to get the baby ready to go out, could make it so easy to exercise that you don't have an excuse.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. Nov 25, 2011 2:27 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

Hi Beke,

Consider making room for some exercise equipment in your home.  Even on a limited budget, you can frequently find quality used machines from various sources in your area.  Granted, a treadmill, climber, ski machine or gazelle may not be the same, but at least you are staying active and working major muscle groups to improve your running.  I actually started with indoor equipment and progressed to long walking/jogging routes and eventually to running.  I would also suggest floor exercises targeting legs and abdominial areas.  I still do these three times a week (make sure you have a padded mat to protect your back) and they really do assist in building overall endurance.  There are several great suggested routines on the Internet and most would be of benefit while you are training indoors.

• emmydocburke Rookie 1 posts since
    May 12, 2011
    3. Nov 30, 2011 7:25 PM (in response to RunBekeRun)

I was in your same place about 7 mos ago after having my second baby. Two questions... Is the baby sleeping thru the night and what time does your husband/partner leave for work in the morning?  The reason I ask these questions is that I started waking up early in the morning to go run/exercise before my husband leaves for work. This way I can go by myself (without baby or jogger stroller in tow), but he's there if the baby wakes or needs tending. Of course, if the baby still wakes a lot at night and getting up early just isn't feasible, this may not work, but after a while, I truly didn't mind being up early a couple days a week, and the benefits of the workouts made me feel great. I know a few moms who do the early AM workouts because they get some good quiet alone time. ;)

If that option just can't be done, then I'd agree with the others in investing in workout equipment for indoors, because it's well worth the investment.

Don't know if any of that was helpful, but hopefully do. Good luck... Being a mommy and getting in a workout routine is tough.

• offmycouch Pro 70 posts since
    Jun 22, 2011
    4. Dec 1, 2011 1:28 PM (in response to RunBekeRun)

I live in Wisconsin so we get the cold and snow.  I wanted to be able to continue the program that I only recently was able to start even though the days are short and getting cold.  I am really not a YMCA/Gym person at all. So I asked around about used treadmills and happened upon a friend that wanted to sell hers.  $200!  What a great deal.  I use that thing every other evening and I love it. 

Old Plodder mentioned Wii Fit Plus and I agree.  I work up a sweat using that thing.  I was embarassed about it, but several friends say that it also makes them work up a sweat.  I have seen recent commercials for our local pawn shop chain and they are selling Wii's for $59. So, as silly as it sounds, check a pawn shop and see if you can find a used Wii or  perhaps a used treadmill.

Kris

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points