Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8431 Views 28 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2011 7:43 AM by Kouripoulavi RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Kouripoulavi Expert 44 posts since
    Nov 28, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Dec 2, 2011 7:53 AM (in response to MManzo6577)
    Couch to 5K- Fatty Style

Ok everyone....so I keep hearing about the Apps.  I downloaded some for my ipod touch, and the one that I found is awful mechanical sounding, and the other one has what seems to be not great techno-esque type music.

I need music that's a bit more motivational than that.  I do run on a treadmill so it's not too hard to know when to start which sections...And I feel like when the runs get longer it will be easier to remember where I am in the routine.

Anyone have a good suggestions on C25K apps from the Apple store?

Tonight is W2D3 for me. 

Me legs recovered much quicker yesterday than they have post previous runs!

I'm excited for the run tonight to see how it feels, and see how my body responds.  I also think I'm going to take a peek at week three so I know what's waiting for me on Monday.

My guess is that if I want to really drop any pounds with this I will need to take a look at what I'm eating as well.  I probably just need more of a system when it comes to planning meals so that I don't get tempted into something else.  My tendency is to think that since I am working out I don't have to mind my calories as much, because, in the past, I've been able to avoid changing diet in order to shed some weight.  However, at 31 years old, it seems to not want to budget.

Happy Running

R

• edensacres Pro 197 posts since
    Jun 19, 2010
    16. Dec 2, 2011 9:10 AM (in response to Kouripoulavi)
    Couch to 5K- Fatty Style

Funny you should ask.  Today on my 3 mile run I was thinking just how much I love my apps. Now I only use one, Runkeeper, but when I was starting C25K I spent 1.99 on a C25K program designed by Blue Fin.  Up until recently it was called C25K but they were asked by active.com to stop using it so they have redesigned it and it is called Ease into 5K.  The old version was great, you could play your own music and just run or walk, like Pavlovs dog based on what the beep and ladies voice told you to do.  The new version might be better- I don't know.  I did not have a gps version b/c when I started I was using an itouch. 

Now the only program I use is Runkeeper, by fitness keeper (in the Apple store). It is free and has a corresponding website that is great too.  There is a subscription level service - but I have not paid for it yet.  If you are willing to spend 3-4 minutes programming in your runs (and double checking you did it correctly you won't have to spend a dime)  Here is what I like a about it:

- you can listen to your own music or even take phone calls without screwing things up

- you can program any workout you want in the "coaching" section.  You can create a session that has multiple segments based on time or distance based programs (with or without repeats), or a mixture and you set each define the speed (slow, steady and fast).  When I started using it I was still doing C25K for time and later when I switched to distance.

- you can choose to have a 5 minute warm up and cool down (but when you are done you can see your average speed or lack thereof) for the entire thing and each segment. 

-There is also a setting that you can use to give you feed back (avg speed, distance, current speed).  You choose how often you want to hear it and what information you want to hear. 

-Your runs upload to a website where you can see how you've done and it creates a cumulative record

-there a social networking component you can CHOOSE to participate in, where other people can see your runs and comment. 

The only negatives I've come across, my phone has not been fully charged to use GPS, music etc for the full run and dies (its a small drain but it does us battery power) Although I know someone who used it for a full marathon, you just have to charge your phone.  and 2.  Sometimes I set it for the wrong thing like run 3KM instead of 3 Miles. 

Here's my last run- feel free to look around... http://runkeeper.com/user/edensacres/activity/61791786

And, if you have any questions, let me know.  GOOD LUCK

Stephanie

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

• ElizabethSz Rookie 6 posts since
    Dec 7, 2010
    17. Dec 2, 2011 9:28 AM (in response to edensacres)
    Couch to 5K- Fatty Style

I tried to post a reply to this forum yesterday but kept getting strange errors.  Hopefully, this one will be more successful. 

Very inspiring posts by y'all.

Yesterday I had my very first workout - W1D1, I believe is what you would call it.  Other than my calf hurting a bit (I have issues with my calf) I did okay.  I did weights afterwards and may have done a little too much of that.  By the end of the day I was a little sore.

This morning I woke up with a migraine.  Sometimes when I do too much, I get them.  Tomorrow is W1D2.  I'm hoping I'll be okay doing it.  I may take some Excedrin afterwards just to be safe.

A question:

1. What should my pace be?  When I walked it was 3.2 and when I jogged it was 3.5 (sometimes 3.7).  I had an incline of 2.

I couldn't get my iPod to work so I had to rely on the sheet of paper I printed out.  It helped doing the workout on the treadmill so that I can see when to start walking and when to start jogging.  But I could have used some music.  I have friend who'll be looking at my iPod next week.  I hope she'll be able to fix it for me.

• edensacres Pro 197 posts since
    Jun 19, 2010
    18. Dec 2, 2011 10:15 AM (in response to ElizabethSz)
    Couch to 5K- Fatty Style

Migranes are the worst! 

Pacing is very personal and is one of the largest challenges at the beginning. Here's what worked for me: I searched online to figure out what my target heartrate zones were supposed to be and used the hand grips on the treadmill immediately after each run cycle to let me know where I was.  (Typically it was too high, so I had to slow my run pace down the next time).  Just before my walk cycles were over I would check my HR again and if it was still in that target range, I would make a mental note to slow down my walk cycle a bit- so it was more of a recovery time.  Eventually I found I was walking at 3.0 and "running" at a 3.5 or 6. A year later my walk is at a 3.4 and my run is 4.4 - and I'm still on the large side.  Find the pace that works for you and don't be concerned about the "speed" or the difference between your walk and run pace.   As long as you are moving faster than a couch you will be making progress.

Great move setting the incline up a bit.  This is more like running on a a flat road (if the treadmill were flat, its actually more like running downhill). 

Good luck!

Stephanie

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

• ElizabethSz Rookie 6 posts since
    Dec 7, 2010
    19. Dec 2, 2011 10:38 AM (in response to edensacres)
    Couch to 5K- Fatty Style

Thanks for the info!

• Rondogmc Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 21, 2011
    20. Dec 2, 2011 12:12 PM (in response to txtnneon)
    Couch to 5K- Fatty Style

Just take it slow. It is always hard in the beginning. What helps me is running a speed that I don't have labored breathing you will last longer that way. Even if you are almost walking you will eventually be able to go faster and longer just take your time.

• rcktgirl05 Pro 83 posts since
    Jan 25, 2008
    21. Dec 2, 2011 2:51 PM (in response to kpenter)
    Couch to 5K- Fatty Style

Hey there everybody... just dropping in to say congratulations on starting C25K!!  I was 196.5 pounds when I started the program the first time in Oct 2009 and I think that's pretty much 200 pounds in anyone's book.  I finished it and stuck around running 30 minutes for a few months but then it got hot and I slacked off.  I re-started the program in April 2011 and I bought a treadmill to get me through the hot months.  I have not stopped running since then.

As a matter of fact, since April I have lost 33 pounds and I'm training for a half marathon now with my long run being 8 miles.  I still can't believe it myself that I can run that far without stopping! And even now, my BMI of 28 is still on the high end of overweight.  I say that because I was just like everybody else, huffing and puffing on week 1, but I stuck to the program and you can too!  You can probably go back and search for some of my old comments about how tough it was and how scared I was to run 20 minutes for the first time!

I think edensacres and runnermommy3 have given excellent advice and I agree totally with everything they said... slow down, fuel your body for the activity you are taking on, get good shoes, and don't worry about what people think.  You will amaze yourself!  Try not to look far into the future, take it one week at a time.  Repeat if necessary. Before you know it, your confidence will be through the roof.  Being skinny doesn't make you fit, being active does. I absolutely love it when I'm at work and the conversation turns to running because it shocks people when they find out how far I run.... then all the skinny people say "Wow I could never run that far!!" 

No you can't if you never get off the couch

Good luck and keep running!

melissa

Every truly great accomplishment is at first impossible.

Completed C25K 12-19-09

CTCA 5k Feb '10... 39:45

Completed C25K (again) June 2011

Tinkerbell Half Marathon Jan '12... 2:53 PR! (Every first is a PR right?)

Litchfield Park Friends of Rec 10K Mar '12 1:09:25 PR!?

Upcoming:

Peoria Pioneer Days 5k 4/14/12

Pat's Run 4.2 Mile benefitting Pat Tillman Foundation 4/21/12

• txtnneon Amateur 29 posts since
    Nov 21, 2011
    22. Dec 2, 2011 7:29 PM (in response to kpenter)
    Couch to 5K- Fatty Style

Just completed W2D1 and it was easier than I thought it would be. I mistakenly missed a " ding" so I ran for two minutes. I m pumped!!!  I've been dreading W3 so this makes it not so daunting!!! 

I need to be more diligent about stretching after each session. I do Bikram yoga three days a week so I know I get plenty of stretching.  But I should be stretching afterwards, right?

• babydollinman Amateur 9 posts since
    Nov 9, 2011
    23. Dec 3, 2011 5:48 PM (in response to kpenter)
    Couch to 5K- Fatty Style

Just wanted to let you all know I ran my very first 5K today.  I started couch to 5K in Oct, I am only up to week 7 but had registered for the race right when I started the program (then I missed a week and repeated a week which is why I am only on week 7).  It was so much fun!  I can't wait to do it again.  I was very slow and did have to walk a little, but I finished it!  Feeling a great sense of accomplishment!

Sarah

• txtnneon Amateur 29 posts since
    Nov 21, 2011
    24. Dec 3, 2011 6:34 PM (in response to babydollinman)
    Couch to 5K- Fatty Style

Way to go babydollinman!!!  That's so awesome and encouraging to hear!

• trinitybaby Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    26. Dec 4, 2011 1:02 PM (in response to kpenter)
    Couch to 5K- Fatty Style

Hi everyone. First time posting here even though I joined in 2008. I have to say I have tried to get into running for the last 25 years. Everytime I have tried for one reason or another, I gave up due to injury or inconsistency. I found out about this couch25k last summer, tried it then and then got hurt again. I was diagnosed with a compressed disc this past summer which put me into physical therapy. I must also say, I am someone who has never enjoyed running, but have hit a fitness slump and needed something to kickstart it again.

So trying one more time, I started couch25k again in September. I run with a back brace. I went to a running store and got properly fitted with good running shoes. The sales associate told me probably the reason I got hurt in the past was not having good shoes and running too fast at first.

So taking all the advice of the running guys and my physical therapist - I tried running again. I am in W6D2 which means today I ran 2 straight 10 minute sessions. Now running 2-10 minute sessions might not seem like a big deal, but for someone who has a compressed disc and history of injury - well, to me it feels like I ran a 26 mile marathon! My next running session is the 22 minute straight run, but I now KNOW I can do this! Stick with it! Don't worry about going fast - pace yourselves the whole time.

No one is posting speeds much here - I am running a 4.1 mph - yes, it's a slow jog, but something my body in comfortable with. I figure once I can run 30 minutes non-stop then I will start upping my speeds. I try not to get bothered by my neighbors on the treadmill running 6-7mph because I know I will get there.

I haven't yet signed up for a 5k, but I'm thinking April/May will be a good timeframe. Again, this is from someone who generally hates running. I want to be a convert and I think I am on my way!

Keep up your motivation!

Trin

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    27. Dec 4, 2011 1:50 PM (in response to trinitybaby)
    Couch to 5K- Fatty Style

Hi Trin,

It is good that you have endured through so many challenges, becaue they will always make you stronger.  I know we all admire your tenacity for pursuing running goals in the future.  I can only offer advice to consider entering 5k walk/run events prior to the spring because they may encourage your efforts.  As a former basketball player, I also despised running and never thought I would have any interest in the sport.  Actually, I was obligated to participate in a charity event and completed the course with far better results than anticipated, so then I was hooked and continued to join every event possible.  As you stated, you know you can do this, so just determine that you want to achieve to the next level.  (P.S....try not to look at your watch until you are well beyond the halfway mark...the minutes slow down if you do..trust me). 

Wishing you every success

• Kouripoulavi Expert 44 posts since
    Nov 28, 2011
    28. Dec 5, 2011 7:43 AM (in response to kpenter)
    Couch to 5K- Fatty Style

Kpenter...

I start week three today!  I think I am a week behind you.  I run Mon/Wed/Fri.

I am taking the "slow and steady wins the race" approach.

I have not lost a pound since I started this...My focus has been more on getting the workouts in...I figure as I get this to be a habit for me, I can switch up my diet a little bit and start focussing on the weightloss part of things. So that way the NOT losing doesn't make me quit.  You know.  : )

I'm worried about my second three minute run segment today.  My approach for the rest of the day is to drink plenty of water...eat some protein (string cheese and greek yogurt.) Have a bannana, an apple, and some vitamins, and I've also been putting a little bit of tonic water into cranberry juice that I cut with tap water.  I'm hoping these things all help. Trying to set myself up for success.  I'm ready...I've had two days off, so my legs should be rested.

Week Three...Bring it on!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...