Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1000 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 4, 2011 11:19 AM by flexor
flexor Rookie 2 posts since
Nov 25, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 25, 2011 10:37 PM

Finished C25K - but with pain on the inside shin/calf area

HI everyone, it's me, the one that has been vicariously reading the fourms for a while.  I now decided to post a question.

I just completed the C25K program, I have to say it was an incredible thing for me to accomplish.  I'm still not at the weight I want to be, but I am definitely a lot more "fit" - at least I can run 2.5 miles without stopping now! When I first started, 5 minutes seemed like an eternity... I'm hoping one day the 2.5 miles seem like the 5 minutes.

I was running the 28 minutes without much issues, but when I ran the 30's, I sarted noticing a pain about 4" above the inside heel bone, between the shin and the calf muscle.  As I ended the last 2 30min runs, the pain was bad, it was hard to walk home.  I iced and ibuprofened and it felt better, there's still a knot around the area on both legs.  These 2 runs also coincide with me trying to focus a bit more on landing midfoot - although not super focused, I still ran relaxed, but holy hell... what gives?  I must be doing something wrong! 

Aerobically, I've learned to pace myself so I'm not completely out of breath, I'm barely under 12' miles and it feels ok.  Am I pushing my legs too hard?  Has anyone else had this problem? 

Let's see, what else? I wear 2 year old Adidas shoes, with custom fit insoles.

Please help!  I want to go running, but I feel I can't continue to overstress that area this way.

Thanks in Advance

Brian in CA

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011

Hi Brian,

I am no expert, and you need to consult one if the pain continues or seems to worsen.  You may not be doing anything wrong because I think we all experience muscle soreness, leg weakness or shin splints, but if there is a persistent pain in one particular area, then it is best to have that evaluated now for any appropriate treatment so that your running goals for the future can remain on schedule.  You may want to consider low-impact alternative or cross-training exercises while your legs are in recovery. 

The only other suggestion is to replace your shoes and have your custom insoles re-evaluated.  Actually, you should have three or four different pairs of running shoes and alternate them in training to relieve lower body stress.  So, your two-year-old Adidas shoes are most likely adding pressure (over and over again) to the same specific areas.

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,163 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009

Good counsel from Jasko. You sound like you are still pretty new to running, so this is a good time to underscore how difficult the first year or two can be for a new runner, especially when he/she is trying to lose weight at the same time. Right now your calves are still developing, and will exchange an enormous number of weak muscle cells for stronger ones, while stretching the available space (called the compartment) that houses the muscle. This happens even more so when you carry extra weight.

This process can be expected to be painful, especially if you are adding time/miles to your workouts or retraining your footstrike, and certainly if you are doing both at once. When you change your equipment and routines, it is best to change them one at a time, so your body can make adjustments with minimal trauma.

When muscle tissue becomes strained, rest alone does not always complete healing. In fact, a certain amount of activity, as Jasko suggests, is beneficial, by increasing circulation in the strained tissue. However, you don't want to fall into the trap of numbing or medicating an injury just so you can keep running on it.

You can afford some downtime without wasting it, if you learn the self-massage technique that can stimulate healing and proper growth for your expanding muscles. There are books on the subject, but in a nutshell, you should familiarize yourself with the anatomy of your legs, so you can pinpoint what actions affect what parts. This can be very helpful when troubleshooting your running pains, and remove the fear that often accompanies common running injuries and pain syndromes.

Just relax in a bath or shower, soap up your hands, and explore the painful areas of your lower legs. Any "knots" you find can be ironed out with firm pressure after repeated applications, and gliding strokes toward the heart will assist venous and lymphatic circulation as your damaged tissue rebuilds. Meanwhile, some light activity and gentle stretching movements will properly model the healing process.

Good luck.. I am confident you will be back on the road in a few days to a few weeks. Just don"t allow your running schedule to dictate your healing schedule. It needs to be the other way around!

http://www.getbodysmart.com/ap/muscularsystem/legmuscles/menu/menu.html

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points