Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

944 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2011 8:06 AM by JamesJohnsonLMT RSS
Monique 12 Amateur 30 posts since
Sep 5, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 21, 2011 2:34 AM

What to do about knee pain and clicking?

I followed a training program for a Fall 1/2 marathon and was very happy with the results.  Felt great all through the training and race.  Ran a couple of time the week after the race.  Probably faster than I should have.  The following Sunday I did a pretty good 10 mile training run as I had a 10 mile race the next weekend.  Felt great!   The next day I ran with a friend who run considerably slower than me (approx. 2+ minutes slower)  and I felt something happen to my left knee.  Not quite sure what, but something not just right.

It became real tight on the side of the knee the next couple of weeks.  Almost felt like a pulling across the knee, pulling it to the outer part.  So i took a little time off and would feel better.  Then tried here and there to run a mile or so  in the next few weeks. Felt ok... but next time i would try to run the knee cap felt sore.  I used to always be able to do the stretch where you are standing and pull your heal up to your butt with no problem at all.  Found that i could not do that at all with the left leg as it felt so tight on that side of knee and extending into the quad a couple inches. it would hurt. 

(sorry this is  a long story)  So the other day I went to run a 5k after taking a couple more days off ...  and didn't go all out... just a tempo.  Felt pretty good.  Afterwards was adding a couple of easy miles on and noticed the LEFT quad felt pretty sore (over compensating?) 

As i continued to putt along the left knee started clicking. So I walked ran the last mile back.  Walking felt ok, but it would click when i ranI   I'm just really frustrated and miss going out for my runs a couple times a  week.   Has anyone else had any of these problems?  I know I will make another appointment.   Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

I

• Imgellin Legend 498 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    1. Nov 25, 2011 6:36 AM (in response to Monique 12)

I've had my share of torn ligaments in knees from over-training, but not clicking. What I would suggest, anyway, is to get a firm foam roller and go over your quads, hamstrings, shins and calves and see what you can find. For me, my knee problems were not the knee at all, but tight connecting muscles in some of the other areas mentioned. www.thera-roll.com

How many mg. of calcium/magnesium are you doing per day?

Paul

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. Nov 26, 2011 3:41 PM (in response to Imgellin)

Hi Monique,

It sounds like IT Band Syndrome or maybe Runners Knee, but you should seek professional advice for evaluation and treatment.  It could be as simple as recommended exercises to strengthen your quads and hamstring muscles, still the best plan is to seek the evaluation of a physical therapist trained in sports medicine.

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,129 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    3. Dec 5, 2011 8:06 AM (in response to Monique 12)

Yes, it sounds like the outer Quads were getting cranked up, which is very common in runners as they pile on the mileage. Theoretically, when an outer quad does not relax, it can alter the timing as the patella (kneecap) settles into the femoral groove when the knee is flexed, causing a clicking sound. This is often referred to as Patellar Tracking Disorder, but it is important to isolate the cause, whether it is a failure of one muscle to release, or of another to contract.

When this gets out of control, swelling can occur under the kneecap, and that has been found to interfere with proper contraction of the inner quad, further unbalancing the forces acting on the Patella. The advice to foam roll can often help in early cases, but if the condition is far advanced, more specific work is usually required. In any event, your training burden has brought this on, and some relaxation of your schedule will help reduce symptoms. Complete inactivity is not recommended, but guided therapy to balance the quads is, along with other remedial strategies like Trigger Point therapy. Hopefully, you have gotten to this before any damage to the underside of the kneecap (chondromalacia) occurs.

Find the underlying cause, address it, and keep moving! Good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points