Skip navigation

3641 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2011 12:07 PM by husker1973 RSS
stacy-S Rookie 1 posts since
Nov 26, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 4, 2011 7:53 PM

wetsuit recommendations

I am looking to purchase my first wetsuit.  What are the top considerations why buying a first wetsuit?  The only tri I've done to date has involved a pool swim, but I know I need to invest in a wetsuit if I want to up my game.

Thanks for any feedback you are able to provide!

• OLB3 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 31, 2011
    1. Dec 5, 2011 10:30 AM (in response to stacy-S)
    wetsuit recommendations

Hi,

I started doing triathlons this year; I've done 2 sprints and 1 Olympic....signed up for a full Ironman for next year....for a wetsuit, fit is the most important! I purchased a full suit from Xterra....they run promos pretty often. Here is one they have now: http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/index.php/cyber-monday/

I went with Xterra because my neighbor has one that I borrowed, it worked well, and they had a promo going too....I don't know anything about the other makers, but I'm sure they are all good.

If you plan on doing warmer weather swims, over 65 degrees, you'd be best off getting a sleeveless suit, but still with full legs (the neoprene helps your legs float so you'll have a better position in the water.) You can also rent suits to try them out...might be a good option if you are not 100% sure that this crazy sport is for you!

Be sure to use body glide around your neck...I didn't the first time I used it and had a large painful sore on my neck from chaffing.

Finally, do NOT use your wetsuit in a swimming pool. The chlorine will ruin it!

Good luck and have fun!

Oliver

• Moriates Legend 297 posts since
    Jul 19, 2008
    2. Dec 6, 2011 6:37 AM (in response to stacy-S)
    wetsuit recommendations

In all honesty, you need to try it on before you buy it.  Xterra has a great return policy so that would not be an issue with them.  Wetsuits are all about fit and flexibility.  The more you spend, the more flexible it will be.  Full Sleeves are always the fastes suits.  The only time I would say that you should go sleeveless is never but it you overheat easily, maybe a sleeveless.  But if you are going to be in an event where the water is to warm for a wetsuit, then go with a speed suit.

GREG C. MORIATES

Owner/Coach - LET ME HELP YOU ACHIEVE GREATNESS!

GCM Endurance

www.GCMEndurance.com

Team/Club Xtreme Multisports, Inc.

www.xtrememultisports.com

Blog: http://xtrememultisports.tumblr.com/

Become a Fan: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Xtreme-Multisports/117254468321101?ref=sgm

Twitter: http://twitter.com/xtrememulti

Sponsors:

VCRC Bikes | FFWD | Synergy Sports| SportMulti | Skins USA | Rudy Project | Athletes Honey Milk | Honey Stinger | Tri Life Gear

• ajohnson85331 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 4, 2010
    3. Dec 7, 2011 10:20 AM (in response to stacy-S)
    wetsuit recommendations

Hi,

I've run a few tris over the last couple of years and did my first race in an O'Neil surfing wetsuit. I do_not recommend this! I purchased an Orca wetsuit last season and after a couple of races I couldn't be happier with it.The only think that I might do differently is to go with a model that has zip closed leg openings - this would make it easier to get off, especially if you have an ankle timing chip. Not sure it's worth the extra money but something to think about.

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    4. Dec 21, 2011 12:51 PM (in response to stacy-S)
    wetsuit recommendations

I have an xterra with sleeves and one without and am very happy with both.  I would recommend going to a tri-store to try before you buy because each brand does fit a little differently.  Also, don't pay full price for an xterra - they are ALWAYS sending out deals. 

• wint142000 Rookie 6 posts since
    May 26, 2010
    5. Dec 23, 2011 6:28 AM (in response to stacy-S)
    wetsuit recommendations

I tried to borrow a westuit several years back. The tri was going to be cold (50 degrees out at start), so I didn't want to go without a suit, but the suit I borrowed was a little tight. I didn't think it would be as issue, but I was wrong!  Once I was in the water swimming, it was too tight and I had trouble breathing. I ended up unzipping it during the race which helped mildly, but i was way off pace because of it.

I purchased an Xterra sleeveless on sale like several other posters and love it!  Whatever you end up doing, even if it is swimming in a pool with it a few times, don't wait until you are in a race to test it!

• Moriates Legend 297 posts since
    Jul 19, 2008
    6. Dec 23, 2011 10:52 AM (in response to stacy-S)
    wetsuit recommendations

Xterra is great affordable wetsuit.  There are other great wetsuit manufacturers in the marketplace.  I also like Aquaman and 2XU.

The more money you spend (to an extent), will have increased flexability and the material will be more delicate.

I would start with a mid line suit and go from there.  Start with a great store that has many tyes that you can try on.

GREG C. MORIATES

Owner/Coach - LET ME HELP YOU ACHIEVE GREATNESS!

GCM Endurance

www.GCMEndurance.com

Team/Club Xtreme Multisports, Inc.

www.xtrememultisports.com

Blog: http://xtrememultisports.tumblr.com/

Become a Fan: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Xtreme-Multisports/117254468321101?ref=sgm

Twitter: http://twitter.com/xtrememulti

Sponsors:

VCRC Bikes | FFWD | Synergy Sports| SportMulti | Skins USA | Rudy Project | Athletes Honey Milk | Honey Stinger | Tri Life Gear

• superunner Amateur 17 posts since
    Jul 5, 2008
    7. Dec 27, 2011 2:42 PM (in response to stacy-S)
    wetsuit recommendations

It is worth noting that swimming in salt water as compared to fresh water made a huge difference in the amount of chafing I had around my neck.  I had done several swims in fresh water with body glide without any problems, but my first ocean swim left me with my neck rubbed raw.  I love my Xterra but make sure whatever you get fits well and you use some type of lube!

TRIbook | Triathlon Training Resources

• husker1973 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 13, 2011
    8. Dec 28, 2011 12:07 PM (in response to superunner)
    Re: wetsuit recommendations

I have a BlueSeventy Fusion and love it. Did my first tri last fall in Pinehurst, NC and the suit really helped fix my body position in the water. Just swim in the pool with which ever suit you decide to use. My backup stroke was going to be the breaststroke but when I was testing the suit in the pool I found that storke didnt work too good so I has to switch to side stroke for my backup/rest stroke.

Dont know about the pool killing your suit. I tried it out twice and had no problem.

Brian

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points