Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

753 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2011 7:56 AM by erik-k RSS
ToddDawg Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 6, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 6, 2011 5:20 AM

Hello from a newbie...

Heard a lot of good things about the Couch to 5K program and app so I'm giving it a try. Bought me a nice arm strap for my iPhone and started the program yesterday.

Back around 2000-2002 I was running 10+ miles three times a week. Then, for various personal issues, I stopped running. Around that time I was around 170-175 pounds and in great shape. Fast forward to today and I'm around 225 pounds and in terrible shape. I've been trying to get motivated to start back but with a four-year old son and a wife that works nights, I haven't been able to find the time. Thankfully, my Mom has agreed to come over when needed and watch him while I run. Needless to say I'm excited.

Yesterday wasn't much of a success unfortunately. I couldn't finish the first day program and only got about half way through. I'm trying again tomorrow and hopefully things will go better. Looking forward to sharing with everyone here.

• EndTheFed Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 6, 2011
    1. Dec 6, 2011 6:36 AM (in response to ToddDawg)
    Hello from a newbie...

Hi Todd,

I have a similar background as you. I was in good shape and about 160 lbs back in 2002, now I'm in terrible shape and about 215 lbs with a big old beer gut. I'm only 27 years old so I feel way too young to be in this bad of shape. The Doc has also told me I have borderline high cholesterol.

I started the program last week and while I was able to make it though the first day, I don't know how I did. Half way through I felt like I was going to puke and collapse but I just forced my way through it.

I'm on week 2 now and seeing definite improvement already. It's still very tough but not as tough as it was last week.

Stick with it and I'm sure it will get easier for you quickly.

• edensacres Pro 197 posts since
    Jun 19, 2010
    2. Dec 6, 2011 6:44 AM (in response to ToddDawg)
    Hello from a newbie...

I second that Todd.  Keep up with it, repeat weeks or days if necessary.  It take a while for your joints, lungs and mind to all get in sync- but it will happen!

Good luck

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

• erik-k Expert 36 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011
    3. Dec 6, 2011 7:56 AM (in response to ToddDawg)
    Hello from a newbie...

Definitely don't be afraid to repeat days--and there's no hurry!  When it says 60 seconds of jogging, don't run like you remember running 10 years ago, go as slow as necessary.  You're not supposed to go fast here, just faster than a walk.  Go as slow as needed in the 90 seconds of walking so you're ready for 60 seconds of jogging again.  And keep doing week 1 until you're happy enough with how you're doing.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...