Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1356 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2011 2:16 PM by EDReilly
EDReilly Rookie 2 posts since
Sep 2, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 6, 2011 12:22 PM

Finished my first 1/2 this weekend...

I just starting running in August and having now completed my first 1/2 have all new questions!  Does anyone have tricks to getting passed the emotion wall (around 7-8 and 11) that took over?  Physically I still had it in me, but emotionally I was spent.  If it wasn't for one of my best friends running with me (she is a runner and this was not her first) I don't know how I would have overcome it!  Any suggestions you could share?

• Terranss Legend 268 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    1. Dec 6, 2011 3:27 PM (in response to EDReilly)

Hi EDReilly,

I'm curious about the training program you used to prepare yourself for the half marathon.  How did it go?  The reason I ask is most training programs are designed to help you come to terms with the distance both physically and mentally.  Had you run your 12-mile long run before this race, and how did you feel physically/emotionally before/during/after?  You mentioned that you just started running in August, which is a very short timeframe in which to jump into a half-marathon.  It sounds, at least on the surface, that you might have been ill-prepared to run this distance.  If this is the case, it's a good thing your friend was there to support you!  If you think that your preparation may not have been adequate, then with continued training you should have the mental fortitude to push through this distance.

It's also possible that you had a lot of pre-race anxiety, which left you drained before your race was completed.  The anxiety stimulates epinephrine release, which is great at first, but this will eventually leave your body and you will end up exhausted.  Hopefully the experience of having already run a half marathon will help with your pre-race anxiety in the future, and this problem will self-correct in subsequent races.  Continue training and racing, and you will likely see these high levels of anxiety go down (not disappear, because everyone feels at least a little anxiety before a race!).

The only other thing I could think of is that this event was an emotional one for you for personal reasons (you're running in memory of someone, or a cause you believe in, etc.), in which case it's hard to say what can help you overcome it.  Some people are overwhelmed by the emotion and spirit of an event, which is okay!  That's why you had your friend there, right?   If you think it's something you need to "overcome", you may want to consult a friend/family member to help you with this.  Maybe it's a matter of perspective, or confidence, or something else entirely; people that know you far better than I should be able to work with you on this one.

Best of luck, and run healthy!

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. Dec 6, 2011 5:10 PM (in response to EDReilly)

Great advice from Terranss, and mine is overly simplistic in comparison, but sometimes mile markers can trigger negative memories or emotional responses.  For example, if you struggled at specific miles during training, then those same distances could cause anxiety during a race event.  It is surprising how mental associations influence pace, performance, endurance and so on.  I guess the best advice is try and determine the cause of lapses at given times.  Five months is a short period of training to progress to a half-marathon, so congratulations on your strong efforts.  I can only offer that the challenges occur differently for every runner.  I struggle every fourth mile, just like clockwork,

and have no idea why, but I know it is coming and try to block out those forces (not looking at signs or my watch). 

Wishing you best of luck

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    3. Dec 6, 2011 5:23 PM (in response to EDReilly)
    Re: Finished my first 1/2 this weekend...

EDReilly wrote:

I just starting running in August and having now completed my first 1/2 have all new questions!  Does anyone have tricks to getting passed the emotion wall (around 7-8 and 11) that took over?  Physically I still had it in me, but emotionally I was spent.  If it wasn't for one of my best friends running with me (she is a runner and this was not her first) I don't know how I would have overcome it!  Any suggestions you could share?

I would not worry about and you might be creating something in your mind that might not be there. You may have had a little emotionaly down time simply because of your body wanting some carbs.

Unless you have a run 4, 5, 6 half marathons, and the same thing keeps happening, and a pattern develops, well, then you might have some sort of mental block.

With no extended history of running half's -- it may be nothing. I would draw no conclusions based upon 1 race -- and your first, at that.

Congrats on your finsih

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    4. Dec 6, 2011 7:05 PM (in response to skypilot77)

EdReilly First and foremost Congratulations on a GREAT ACCOMPLISHMENT. Terranss gave you some good advise. However I think skypilot77 might of nailed it for you. I think your body could of been calling for carbs (Hammer Gel, Gu Chomps, Honey stingers etc etc) If you storage level wern't full or you wern't refueling  while racing CARBS could be the problem.How were you doing your training runs on miles 7-8-11 ? Try brining some gel packs or flask with you on your next long training runs. Try using them before that feeling happened. Maybe one mile 4 & another at mile 7. If you need a final push try one more around mile 10. Also be sure you stay properly hydrated and replace your electrolyte's. Good Luck

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    5. Dec 7, 2011 6:39 AM (in response to Webpro11)

All great advice, for me each new distance I have the same issue.  Next time at the 1/2 distance I bet your mine will do better, it is a very powerful tool!  Great job it's a great accomplishment!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    6. Dec 7, 2011 7:42 AM (in response to EDReilly)

Geez, I've run about 40 half-marathons and I still find the miles between about 7 and 11 to be mentally tough!  It's the point where the intial racing euphoria has worn off and the end is not really in sight.  The half seems to be the hardest for that because in shorter races you don't really have as much time to think about it.  I don't notice it so much in a marathon, maybe because I know that here are just a lot of miles to run.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points