Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

879 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Dec 10, 2011 5:49 PM by Jasko123 RSS
SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
Jan 13, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 7, 2011 11:18 PM

Once More, With Feeling

This will be my third kick at the cat with C25K. Each of the last two times - I almost got to the end... then messed up. The biggest thing that was holding me back was that I was still smoking. If there's a skid row for smokers - there I was; right in the middle of it. Tonight, for the first time in 37+ years, I've gone 72 hours without a cigarette - no turning back now. My resting heart rate is already lower & when I walked/jogged a timed 1.5 miles today, I could actually breathe - no burning in my chest. I was slow - true enough but I COULD move.

17 hour work day tomorrow, so I'll rest up on Friday, then start Saturday. I love C25K - it made jogging doable for this heavy smoker. If I could do the program, (I sabotaged myself at the end of both last attempts), then anybody can. I actually got to the point where I enjoyed it.

The saying goes: "Third time lucky" & I hope that proves to be the case.

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Dec 10, 2011 5:49 PM (in response to SlogOn)
    Once More, With Feeling

Consider the newest electronic cigarettes...they are best alternatives I have ever seen.  Also, try not to blame your performance lapse on smoking because, most likely, it is not the only or greatest factor.  Trust me, I understand your habits and struggles.  As you stated, sabotage has many forms, and maybe tabacco use gets the negative rap all the time.  Well, that's a topic for many other debates, but basically your lung capacity could improve with alternatives to smoking, so just consider those options and focus on your goals. 

P.S....Go ahead and schedule your first race ASAP...that will aid in training, scheduling and motivation to stay on track.

Best of Luck

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...