Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

49825 Views 279 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2012 7:44 AM by KD8FQM RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 19 Previous Next
  • KateInWI Amateur 21 posts since
    Dec 7, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Dec 7, 2011 11:07 AM (in response to flatwatertx)
    Any December 2011 starters?

Hello! I am also new to running. I started C25K a few weeks ago. Today I'm supposed to do W4D1, but I think I'm going to repeat at least one day of W3. Oddly enough, W3D1 felt pretty easy but W3D2 and W3D3 felt very difficult. Go figure. I'm also doing the program on a treadmill. I try to walk at 4.0 and run at 5.0 with a 3% incline. I've been following this thread, and the support and encouragement are great!

• Katterin Amateur 13 posts since
    Nov 21, 2011
    31. Dec 7, 2011 1:27 PM (in response to KateInWI)

I went to a different branch of my gym near the office at lunch today, as my daughter is sick and I won't be able to take her into the gym childcare after work.  (My mother watches her during the day, so no daycare issues).  This was my first time running during the work day, and added to the fact that I haven't slept well the last two nights since my daughter didn't sleep well, it felt like a minor accomplishment just getting to the gym.  However, W3D1 did not go well.  I made it through the first three minute run, but I cut short the second one at 1:30.  At the time, I felt like I should have been able to do more, that I could have if I had really pushed it, and that I just hadn't been mentally willing to push through the physical discomfort.  Shortly after hitting the locker room, though, I realized that it was my asthma flaring up.

I didn't use my inhaler before the run - big mistake.  I forgot it once before and did okay, but it wasn't on a day that I was trying to extend my previous run time.  I was still coughing some by the time I had gotten dressed for work again and driven back to the office.  For a couple hours after I got back to my desk, if I talked to someone for more than a sentence or laughed, I would cough some more.

What I've learned in the first few weeks of this program is that I can extend the limits of what my lungs can do, and that asthma isn't an excuse not to run at all.  What I learned today is that my asthma is still a real factor, and I need to be smart about managing it.

• Kouripoulavi Expert 44 posts since
    Nov 28, 2011
    32. Dec 7, 2011 2:06 PM (in response to Katterin)

Oh man!  I don't want to hear that W3D2 is going to be hard.  I'm heading out to do it in 45 minutes!!! : )

I actually was feeling pretty smug Monday after I finished Day 1.  I'm hoping that it doesn't come back to bite me!

I read an article I found on coolrunning.com about why runners like pain or something like that.  It was really interesting talking about how you have to retrain your head to think about the discomfort you feel and push through...and know when the pain is good pain or bad pain.

Like, I know I'm going to run this evening, and I know it's not going to be easy.  I know my legs will hurt.  I know my lungs will burn a bit...but I know that I can push myself.  Who was saying that??? Katterin?  But knowing when to let up and give in a little too is a smart and Good thing. 

Anyway.  I'm hoping that I come away at the end of day two this week feeling like I've accomplished something. 

I'll be honest.  There's always the tiniest bit of anxiety that I feel going into these runs...Will I be able to do it?  Will I make it?  I just keep telling myself that I will!!!

Happy running all...Here's hoping for a good one tonight!

R

• SMA23 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 7, 2011
    33. Dec 7, 2011 2:15 PM (in response to Kouripoulavi)

Hello, I am new to running. Literally...from the couch to running a 5k. I want to challenge myself with something new opposed to focussing on my weightloss alone. I will begin training on 12/12/11 and the 5k race is 3/3/2012. I am beyond overweight...obese as they call it...but I want to challenge myself. Can anyone offer sound advice? Am I in over my head.

• KateInWI Amateur 21 posts since
    Dec 7, 2011
    34. Dec 7, 2011 4:04 PM (in response to Kouripoulavi)

I hope W3D2 isn't hard for you! Let us know how it goes. I repeated W3D3 today and it wasn't easy, but I think I'm ready to try W4D1 on Friday.

• Loraclare Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 7, 2011
    35. Dec 7, 2011 6:03 PM (in response to flatwatertx)

My mom and sister both run (they actually just did the run thats on the Vegas Strip), so I'm going to try it. I'm a bicyclist... Kind of. Road bike for exercise, upright for getting groceries, but I haven't kept up with that for the past couple months. I'm hoping that I might be able to run with my mom and my sister eventually.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to do W1D1. I just hope it turns out okay

• txtnneon Amateur 29 posts since
    Nov 21, 2011
    36. Dec 7, 2011 6:57 PM (in response to flatwatertx)

To those starting out... Tell yourself that you can do it, then do as much as you can. If you can't make it 60 seconds, don't give up!!  Realize that whatever you are doing is MORE than you did yesterday. It is with these small stps that we begin to change!!  Pretty soon week 1 will be history and you will be very proud of yourself!!!!!

I'm disappointed that I didn't get out to do W3D1 this afternoon. I'm just now getting home(9:15) and realized my son has my house keys. SO, I'm waiting while he drives back (1 hour).  I don't think I'll make it out tonite. HUGE BUMMER!!!!!!!!

• Flourprincess Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 5, 2011
    37. Dec 7, 2011 8:13 PM (in response to flatwatertx)

Well I didn't want to do it but I did. Just completed W1D2. Not too bad. I made it so that is good I guess. Good luck to all of you on your journey....it begins with one step!

• SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    38. Dec 7, 2011 11:37 PM (in response to SMA23)

Third time starter here or will be starting Saturday. The mistake I made the first time was going too quickly. I finally caught on that it wasn't about speed... it couldn't be - I was a heavy smoker until 3 days ago when I finally quit after almost 38 years. By keeping it slow I COULD run & I made it up to running, (barely 5k) last time. I just turned 51 & I've been lucky with my health. I'm pushing it though & it's time to get serious about change. I put down the ciagerettes, did a run/walk of 1.5 miles today to check my time, (that was humiliating) & am set to start W1D1 Saturday.

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

• lawgirl20064 Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 21, 2011
    41. Dec 8, 2011 7:19 AM (in response to flatwatertx)

I am also doing the program and am on W5D1.  However, I have been repeating at least one of the days of each week.....sometimes taking 2 weeks to do 1 week......i so the 9 week program may take me 18 but I really want to be comfortable with each step of the program.  I have done this program before and get midway through and feel like it's too hard and can't motivate myself.  That is not the case this time:)  My only words of wisdom are to take your time....and run slow.  Good luck!

Nov 28, 2011
    42. Dec 8, 2011 7:59 AM (in response to KateInWI)

So, Week 3 Day 2 was NOT too hard for me.  I won't say it was easy.  My legs were getting pretty tight on the last couple walking sections, but it was NOT too hard.  : )  I even talked to the guy on the treadmill next to me and was surprised to hear my voice come across clear and not labored.  TOTALLY unexpected for me while running.

I kind of keep mentally preparing myself for the next section.  "Ok, now you're going to walk for 90 second...then run for three minutes"  And then "Ok, when you finish this you get to walk for three minutes, push through, push through"

: )

And, it worked!  YAY!  I'm excited to do day three tomorrow and feel how it goes.  Next week there are two 5 minute runs in the midst of the workout.  I'm starting to mentally prepare for that. 

For those just starting.  I am by NO means an expert.  Here's what I do.  Stretch.  My gym where I run has stairs going from the locker room to the treadmill section.  I stretch my lower leg muscles on every step hanging my heel off the edge and counting to 15.  Then I stretch again when I get to the treadmill.  I think this is key.

Drink lots of water.  I drink lots of water throughout the day, especially on the days I'm going to run.  Sometimes I mix some tonic water into my tap water.  They say the quinine in it helps with cramps...is it true?  I don't know, but I do it.

Eat Bananas! I know that sore muscles is one of the BIGGEST reasons why I feel like I can't get through a workout.

And, mentally, I prepare.  For me, getting my head around the fact that I am going to get in there, and do this thing that I don't normally/never have done.  I tell myself it might be uncomfortable, but I can do it.

I go slow...Seriously slow.  If it's getting hard, I slow down, if that feels hard, I speed up for a bit and find the comfortable spot for my jogging.  I am not embarassed by how SLOW I got....the point is that I'm doing it!

: )

Flatwater...Nope, I do not pace myself.  I am so slow.  I know I am slow.  But right now, what is important for me in finishing.  I want to know that I CAN do this.  I have a pretty competitive inner thought process.  I'm afraid if I start throwing too many goals into my runs that I will push too hard.  Right now, the goal is to get it done.  Last night I was running at 3.9 (see...SLOW)  The man on the treadmill next to me was WALKING at 3.9  My legs were moving a lot faster than his, probalby because my strides are so short, but I kept thinking, his treadmill would tell him he had burned the same amount of calories as I was, and here I was running...RUNNING...working hard...and he was walking.  Strange. At the end of my time I had gone 1.3 miles according to the treadmill.  Not far.  But, I did it.  I DID IT!!!  I got through the thirty minues with running and walking.  And to me, that's what matters.

My goal is to start pacing when I know that I can do it...and make it.  Right now, I'm only running three minutes at a time, let's be honest, how far do we REALLY think we're going to go when we're running three minutes at a time.  Maybe after I show myself I can run 20 minutes straight without dying, THAT's when I will start pacing : )

Happy running all...tonight I'm goign to lift some weights.  Then tomorrow...Run W3D3

R

Nov 28, 2011
    44. Dec 9, 2011 9:00 AM (in response to flatwatertx)

I am SO thankful for the people at my gym who give me something to watch.  I love watching people walk at the same pace I am running.  I find this to be the most puzzling thing...I watch how many times my feet strike the treadmill compared to someone elses at different speeds.  There's probably something wrong with my brain that I like to try to use these things comparitively! OR, I'm just a big nerd...who knows!

I also REALLY love the older lady who runs on the treadmill next to me in those "shape up" shoes.  This just looks like the worlds worst idea, in my opinion.  I would die...literally fall over, face on the treadmill.  I guess she is doubling her re-shaping efforts!

So, I find that reading everyone's posts helps motivate me...so let's try something if you're game.

It's update time! (Accountability!!!!)

Let's all list what our last run was...what our next run will be...and how we're feeling so that we can encourage on aother!!!

Last run: W3D2 run 90 seconds, walk 90 seconds, run three minutes, walk three mins, repeat!

Nex Run: W3D3, TONIGHT!!!!!! (I'm excited to put week 3 to rest!!!!)

How I'm feeling: Proud right now, confident that I've gotten through what I've needed to get through, excited about trying next weeks run, nervous for the future, wondering if I'll REALLY be able to do the bigger runs that wait for me in weeks 5 and on...

And...by means of confession.  I'm not sure my legs are that short Flatwater...I'm 5'7'' tall. I'm just SLOW. I currently weight 232#...I am 3 pounds down from when I started.  Three weeks...three pounds.  Ok.  I'll take it. I'm also just plain old slow. : )

1 2 3 4 5 ... 19 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...