Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

866 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 9, 2011 5:22 AM by BOSNPM
JasonSanteler Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 6, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 8, 2011 5:04 PM

uh oh... knee injury

Training for my first marathon, Disney Marathon 1/8/12.  I know this is my fault, but I ran a couple of half marathons mid training and then jumped right back into the program at my 18 mile long run week.  Problem being, I had tapered the week prior for my race.  Then I PR’ed the HM.  Then I ran significantly more miles the following week (18 mile long run and a few others)  After the 18 mile long run I was pretty beat up.  That is the furthest I have ever run in my life.  The next time I went out I got about 6 miles in and my left knee started to hurt on the outside of the knee.  I cut that run short right then.  I took 2 days off just to be safe.  The next time I ran, same thing about 6 miles in and I was experiencing pain again.  I tried to tough it out since I only had 1 or 2 miles left to run.  I finished the run, but my knee was really pissed off afterwards.  I stretched and stayed off my feet for most of the rest of the day.  To be honest, I did not ice it.

OK, I know that was a lot of info.  My question is, where do I go from here?  I have been consistently running for the last 6 months and have been completely injury free until this point.  I have some big miles to post here in the next couple weeks to prepare for Disney.  What I am most interested in knowing is what is the best way to move forward, not train? not race? train until the moment I feel pain and then stop?  Take a week off?  I’m interested in anyone’s perspective.  (Especially the Coaches!)

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    1. Dec 8, 2011 5:19 PM (in response to JasonSanteler)
    uh oh... knee injury

If there is as much pain as you claim -- I'd suggest a visit to a physician trained in sports medicine.

Seeing as that might take a little time before they actually see you -- I'd also suggest taking the next two weeks off.

If you have a three week taper that will give you one week to work at training. Get another long run in the week of 18-24 Dec.

Start that week off with some shorter runs to check the knee. If the knee still hurts, shut it down,, and wait for the appointment with the Doc.

If the knee is fine you should not lose a lot of fitness. In fact, you will probably gain a boost of energy.

And with a well planned taper you should be fine for the race.

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    2. Dec 8, 2011 6:29 PM (in response to skypilot77)
    uh oh... knee injury

Jason I did almost the exact same thing in April prior to my first HM in Nashville. Four weeks out on my long run I was feeling pretty good around mile . I decided to see what i had left and started sprinting. Not sure if it was wear and tear from new mileage I was not use to. Or running to fast to soon. Or maybe an uneven surface. But I twisted my left knee felt it and pushed on. Pain increased afterwards. I took two full weeks off. Using ice as much as possible. I bought K tape and did a homemade tape job that worked wonders. (video online). I went to my race and was great until mile 10 when my knee acted up same way. I ran walked and crawled the last 3 miles but finished. went to see a Doc  two weeks later took MRI and was told it was either soft tissue issue or overuse. Rested for three weeks. Started training all over again. Finished next HM in July VA 30 mins quicker injury free. Trained some more and finished next HM in Oct 20 minutes quicker than July. Getting ready for Disney also, Planning on running a PR injury free at least 10 minutes quicker than July. I'm no coach but my personal experience tells me you need to REST ELEVATE ICE REPEAT AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. Hopefully it's something minor. You'll never know fully until you give your body time to heal properly. Also go online and check out Hammers Recoverrite. I took it twice a day when injured and it helped speed my recovery. I also use it after all long runs.If you decide to run Disney. Maybe you should just think about changing up your gameplan until mile 20 is completed. Then let you knee tell you what to do for the next 6 miles. Good Luck. Your work is done, your on the homestretch, The tiny bit of fitness you might lose can be recovered in your head once your knee gets some much needed rest.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,167 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    3. Dec 8, 2011 11:47 PM (in response to JasonSanteler)
    uh oh... knee injury

How much pain do you want? A half is nothing compared to a full, and you are already hurt. Trust me, Disney will be a waste of time because it will hurt you more, your time will be irrelevant because it is your first (easy PR), and because you blew your training with long races when you needed to be in the long/slow phase, and appear to headed for a full-blown case of ITBS...

But if you do, it's OK because I've made all these mistakes myself, lol. The hard way is often the best way to learn about running.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    4. Dec 9, 2011 5:22 AM (in response to JamesJohnsonLMT)
    uh oh... knee injury

I would rest as stated above go see a PT or a good Massage Therapist for some deep tissue work.  See how you feel in a week or two and make your choice then.  Good luck

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points